With all that is happening, what are you doing to prepare - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some people I know call what we are living in "interesting times" some refer to this as "exciting times".
    It is very "uneasy times" as far as I am concerned. I also have the foreboding feeling as if I should do more than I have done.
    I know people say get out of debt and I am trying but I did not get into this much debt in a short period of time and I can get out of it in a short period of time.
    I have stockpiled a years supply of several items by using coupons and loss leaders and am trying to figure out where the holes are in my preparing.
    I wish so much that my house was paid for.
    My job is pretty secure though no one is immune from losing their job.
    I know some of the things I need to add is jars to can with and I want to add a chicken house and chickens.
    I search and search trying to find what I should be doing to prepare for things to get worst and find nothing that I don't already know and am trying to do.
    I still feel like I should do more so I know that my problem is that I am not turning it over to the one that provides all things and knowing a believing and trusting that God shows me the way and will help me to be prepared for anything.
    As I am writing I realize that I need to spend less time looking for the answers on the web and spending more time with my Maker.
    (Sorry didn't mean to step up to the pulpit)

Thanks OP Love reading this thread it makes me not feel alone in my concerns.
    Last edited by Janbee; 01-11-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started a stockpile of dry food. When I went to Sam's club yesterday I bought 25# bags of rice, flour and sugar. I also stocked up on oil, spices and bought lots of stuff that we already use in bulk.

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I added to my dry stockpile too. I am using http://www.trackmyfoodstorage.com/ for my suggested totals. I have some work to do on my pantry! Every little bit helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are keeping track of what we are using each month now and not buying anything except what we have used. I keep a running total in my stockpile room and take it to the store when we go. It has got to be a super sale before we buy anything else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My stockpile is really coming along very nicely as well as quickly. I have probably spent $700 on it so far not counting the shelves. I wanted a years worth. I find even with all the shelving I bought I will run out of room in the next few months.

Some things I would have completed a years worth, others maybe not.

Perhaps when it comes time I will find other storage ideas.

I think the important thing, no matter what you are attempting to accomplish,is to give 100% and then let the dust settle.

No one will ever be completely prepared in every aspect of what can/could/will go wrong.

meanwhile, the debt goes down, the savings go up, the food pile grows quickly,attitudes adjust, and wisdom grows.

I do need a way to store water. I also need a few bags of cat food.
    Last edited by Cricketlegs; 01-16-2009 at 08:28 PM.
    The math never lies, budget in INK!

EF $200

Camper (Start March 2013) $4645.26/ $2,869.19
    Student Loan#2 Start May 2013) $4196.45/ $3542.70

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Cricketlegs View Post
    My stockpile is really coming along very nicely as well as quickly. I have probably spent $700 on it so far not counting the shelves. I wanted a years worth. I find even with all the shelving I bought I will run out of room in the next few months.

Some things I would have completed a years worth, others maybe not.

Perhaps when it comes time I will find other storage ideas.

I think the important thing, no matter what you are attempting to accomplish,is to give 100% and then let the dust settle.

No one will ever be completely prepared in every aspect of what can/could/will go wrong.

meanwhile, the debt goes down, the savings go up, the food pile grows quickly,attitudes adjust, and wisdom grows.

I do need a way to store water. I also need a few bags of cat food.
    I admire the fact that set your mind to this and you are following through with it. WAY TO GO

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default meters for propane

I went to Sams club. I bought some outdoor solar lights. I also found a meter for propane so you can check how much gas you have in your grill propane tank. I then went to walmart bought a years supply of starter sets for onions and more strawberry roots. I will start growing them soon along with more fruit trees at Lowes.
    Last edited by frugal-fannie; 01-24-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought my seeds and I bought a lot of them going to put out a big garden

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freyadog View Post
    We are keeping track of what we are using each month now and not buying anything except what we have used. I keep a running total in my stockpile room and take it to the store when we go. It has got to be a super sale before we buy anything else.
    I think that is the beauty of a stockpile. Once you have it built up you can afford to wait for the super sale to stock up again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I continue my preparation. I've been reading a lot. I have pulled out my dehydrator book again. Now that I have my juicer, it has opened even more frugal stockpiling ideas and projects.

I've also started working on a "canning" stockpile. Doesnt do me any good to know how to can unless I have rings, lids and pectin does it?

Bleach and Borax are next on my list. Borax can be used for bug control. I also got another box of D-Con rodent bait. I've heard a rumor that my town may cut the days of trash pick up. Well, the rodents would multiply even faster IMHO.

Did you know that rodents such as mice, gerbils, rats can have a new litter of 12 EVERY 28 DAYS??????

Now that's enough reason to stock up on rat bait for sure!

I'm tellin ya, we've only ever had 2 mice all the years my dh and I've been together, but he knows that I get absolutely hysterical.

And those #*(&*&(* things will always run across my shoe while I'm in the middle of a room instead of sticking by the baseboards...... it kills me.

Yes that's me screaming honey honey get your gun! bwhwhwh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been trying to convince DW that we need to stockpile more dry goods including wheat, corn, beans and rice. One thing years of marriage has taught me is that sometimes persistence pays. I am waiting for her to say"whatever". Sometimes, that is the best I can hope for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Instead of getting DCon go to the animal shelter and foster a feral cat. I have always had cats and have never had a mouse or rat (except as a gift) in 26+years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-fannie View Post
    Instead of getting DCon go to the animal shelter and foster a feral cat. I have always had cats and have never had a mouse or rat (except as a gift) in 26+years.
    Your esp is turned on! This past fall, as we were filling our "red shed" (has a hole in the wall from the previous owner) we saw some black cats who "hang out" in our little barn. I told dh we're gonna supplement the cats. Now he put up a fuss, but he said I was too late...he'd been giving momma kitty food for some time!

So this winter, they are still feral, but sit on the fence post and "watch" us. They don't get near us, but we do have a mutual understanding.

We were fortunate that birds didn't peck our garden this summer because every once in a while we would find a kill in the garden. Neighbors across the alley lost almost all their stuff due to birds.

My rat bait is unopened and unused. My family of black kitties are sassy and act like they own my yard.

We were so worried around the 4th of July and halloween because of the fireworks and general meanies that scare cats for fun, but dh got his flashlight out and there they were in the little red barn hanging out....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The times don't really have as much to do with our lifestyle change as much as an awakening to what is really valuable. We have never had debt, beyond the house, and have always had an EF (dh works construction and even in good economic times weather and such can keep you from getting a paycheck). So, I don't really worry about our place in the world. I pray for those losing their homes and jobs and pray that dh's job continues to be there but we were already prepared, no need to take special measures at this point. We don't stress and worry about what may be because that won't change a thing. We will just take it a day at a time and if the worst happened financially we'd still have our wonderful family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default to do

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    With the economic situation we are in, what steps have you taken to prepare for hard times. Every time I watch the news I get a nagging feeling that I should be doing something. I prepare even in good times, so I am at a loss on what to do.
    Fixer, yesterday my family activated our pandemic evacuation plan, we are now in the process of getting all of our stuff & supplies out of Denver and into rural Iowa. In case you are interested, my website is still up and running, but won't be updated for the foreseeable future till we get settled in;

link is drum-runners.com

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast