What are we preparing for? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I mostly try to be prepared for things like
    1. Storms , both summer storms and being in the north severe winter storms. Loss of electricity and the ability to get around easily.
    2.Job loss . My husband still has a job but his industry is suffering greatly and I am trying to think ahead to the worst case scenerio but praying everyday for the best case scenario.
    3. Pandemic, my daughter was one of the lucky ones who got through swine flu this spring unscathed although she was very sick at the time . I know when school starts things are gonna get ugly again. All those germy kids in a confined area is almost a guarentee for sickness in my opinion.
    4. I never would have believed something like September 11th could happen here until it did. Now I am very aware of things like this and would like to be prepared for if things go to hell in a handbasket can we survive here without going out for an extended period of time . We arent as preparedas I would like to be but I am working on it.

I have a daughter who has a serious heart problem and I do worry about having her medicine on hand for extended periods but I havent come up with a solution to that yet except making sure I refill the prescription the second the insurance will pay for it rather I need it right then or not.
    Kim

Wife to dh Jeff for 23 years

Mom to dd 18 dd 14

3 very spoiled cats

1 dog

Book Challenge 2014 - 1 / 24

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I try to stay prepared for storms or power outage. I live in the country, at the end of a long dead-end road, and when the power goes out, I'm one of the last to get it back. So lots of propane and wood for cooking and heating, lots of water (on a well, so no power = no water), and lots of batteries! I have a small stockpile, nothing fancy, but enough that I could last about a month without having to go to the store, although I would have to do without fresh meat/produce. I get a little more serious about it as winter approaches, but honestly, the power could go out at any time. It just takes one drunk driver and one power pole.

I also have a small grove of fruit trees/shrubs (all kinds) planted, and I plant a few more every year. My hope is to eventually have fresh produce available year-round. I am trying to learn how to eat seasonally and not expect fresh locally grown peaches in November. I would love to have a greenhouse (and will someday, but still saving up for it), so I can grow many veggies and some small fruit shrubs pretty much year round. My hope is to eventually be self-reliant in that area, except for the tropical fruits that I can't grow here.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm preparing.. to survive.. almost anything.

I'm lucky with the electricity thing because our house is on the same "grid" as the main fire station and the hospital.. a two hour power outage is the longest we've ever had here. Not that it couldn't go longer, but it's extremely unlikely.

But rather than seeing my prep in relation to specific disasters or circumstances, I see it as related to categories of human need..

Medical.. I have a set of surgical tools and an army surgical field guide (not sure how actually useful that stuff is, but it's there), a largish stockpile of the most general medications, cough syrup, ibuprofen, aspirin,antibiotic ointment, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, burn cream, etc.

I have a first aid kit that takes up an entire backpack with splints and bandages, anti-diarrhea meds , water purification tablets, those silly mylar blankets, lighters, etc. and a book on which local herbs and plants do what.

Food..

a good solid 3 month stockpile of stuff we actually eat, plus extra vitamins in case fresh fruit, milk, eggs, and veggies become difficult to obtain either from lack of money or out of season.

I have 3 different means of cooking other than my house. A portable propane stove with those little bottles. Wood fire and cast iron, and a charcoal grill that can also be used with small wood, and as a last ditch effort a solar oven (We don't usually get much sun and the thing would be a dead loss in a winter emergency.)

But, I've also learned how to construct a stone and mud oven in case for some reason the whole thing was more or less permanent. The thing to look up and understand here is how a stove draws air and traps or disburses heat. It's pretty simple.. (and the reason that a lot of older fireplaces smoke so bad.)

I know how to smoke meats, pickle veggies in crocks, dry foods etc.

I don't think canning will be much use for me personally since the temperature and pressures are too specific for me to even try them on an uncontrolled heat source.

Besides either the emergency is going to be too short lived to do the canning then, or it'll be too long to bother taking all those super heavy jars and supplies anywhere.

I could can now for a future emergency, but it's just cheaper to buy the stuff in metal cans from the store, which are more easily portable anyway.

Shelter..

Ah the biggie.. we humans are so terribly fragile when it comes to exposure!

So we have a tent, a really good tent, and some -40 degree sleeping bags, a lot of spare blankets etc. and a king sized bed (which will hold our whole family in an emergency and we'll all be warm.).

If the power went out and it was really cold.. we'd set the tent up inside the house and cover the whole tent with extra blankets and tarps. This creates a "micro-environment" which can easily be heated by body heat and a candle or two. Safe.. um.. maybe not.. but warm, you bet you bottom! (and that is exactly what you're betting on this one)

If we had to abandon the house the tent and sleeping bags would just have to do, but they're certainly better than nothing.

And both DH and I know how to set up a temporary shelter using whatever is available and start a fire
    (we did do the bow-drill thing, but honestly, just carry a freaking lighter. No one tells you how hard it is to use a bow drill, or a striker when your hands are already frozen.)

We also have a hand crank, led lantern and two hand crank flashlights for light, and metal water bottles, and a supply of ramen noodles, which really are incredibly light to transport. We also have a family plan of where exactly we're all going to go and meet up.

Financial..

In some ways this is the easiest.. and the hardest category to prepare for.

The stockpile really helps and an EF is invaluable, but the reality is that for most of us, we don't make enough money to pay all our bills, and save an extensive amount of money.. say a years wages in anything like a timely manner.

So save what you can.. and imagine that tomorrow.. every store in the world will be closed for 3 months.

Can you live with what you have now, and with what you could get then? Are the things you own of a quality that would last a lifetime, or maybe two?

Just knowing that if you didn't buy a single thing (other than obvious consumables) you'd still be fine is priceless.
    Last edited by Thevail; 08-05-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm planning on anything . .. storms take out our power on an almost regular basis -- 2 weeks is not unusual.

Ice storms, tornadoes, fire, flash floods -- common occurrences here

I'm also trying my best to be prepared for when TSHTF . . . for that I feel that knowledge is the best prep. . . so I try to educate myself and my loved ones on survival living, foraging, self medical help, building shelter from available items, purifying drinking water - hunting, fishing, trapping without modern tools, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me, survival and preparedness were never a thought in my mind until fairly recently. I started stocking up on foods, I only have a very small amount of water on hand, but we run off of a well. I am not very well prepared for anything at the moment, but working on being prepared for a storm - we get ice storms a lot in the winter, one year we were out of power for a week and we had to go stay with family 'cause I couldn't make do. For me, being prepared for a storm is a good first step!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Then you need to make a list of essentials for when the power goes out.
    Basic list is:

water
    food
    heat ( both cooking and warmth)
    light
    shelter

from there you add what your needs are. Like for us, it's a supply of our daily meds. We learned the hard way many moons ago about power going out year round from different storms, that we needed a generator. We have ours direct wired and can power the front half of our house on ours.That way, we have running water, both the fridge and freezers are running and we can flush one toilet and hubby has his tv(LOL).
    I always have a stocked pantry. Learned that early on too. We always make sure we have our different fuels stocked also. When a gas can is emptied, we make to take it the next day and refill it. Same with all the propane tanks.

Just get the basics covered and then go from there. How much you want to prepare is up to you. Some of us go extra deep in our preparedness and then others just listen to and believe what the .gov tell them, and hardly prepare at all. It's up to you the individual what you want to do.

Remember: One step at a time. And every step helps/counts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Emergency preparedness means different things to different people for lots of reasons - age, location, type of emergency, health, ability, etc.

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast so I don't really need to prepare for extreme cold or earthquakes. BUT I do need to be prepared for a hurricane - either evacuate or shelter in place. When I was caring for my elderly mother that meant being stocked up on her special dietary needs, meds, med supplies, and being ready to evacuate. Now that mom is gone, my emergency preparedness needs have changed. NOW I am prepared to shelter in place AND evacuate if necessary.

Once you go through a particular emergency/disaster your plans will probably be tweaked/edited/altered. The important thing is that you HAVE a plan. Once you actually MAKE a plan, then you have to start stocking up on the things you need to implement your plan.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We too live on the Gulf Coast and are always looking for a Hurricane.
    We evacuate for just about anything Cat 1 and over. During Ike we came home to 14 days without power. We have gas generators but they are very expensive to run. My goal is to install a propane generator, but can't do it this year. We keep outdoor cooking supplies on hand, batteries & canned goods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We prep for..........

-Earthquakes
    -Sickness
    -Job loss
    Last edited by calimomx2; 08-08-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am preparing to go on vacation!

That sounds like a lot more fun than hurricane season, but in all seriousness it is good to be prepared. A lot of people have posted about the weather, but I am really concerned about being prepared to deal life on a day to day basis.

I feel like my work can go under any month with this economy and I am just preparing my emergency fund and skill list up as much as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I actually prepare for extended power outages, and natural disasters, but in reality, preparing will actually cover many different scenarios. If you have food, ammo, water, fire, shelter, and an alternate power source, you are prepared for many possible scenarios.
    I would like to think that in the remainder of my lifetime, total economic and social breakdown will not be an issue. But if you are prepared for natural disasters and extended gris outage, you will be far ahead of the average family that does not prepare for anything!
    Happy as a cat on a tuna boat!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Storms, job loss, sickness and unable to work..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me I started preparing for higher food prices in 2008 I watched every thing go up and up !!
    Then SARS hit Japan and I started prepping for that. (Any kind of pandemic actually)
    And of coarse oil and gas went up so I started stockpiling heavily
    Now it's 2012 in 2010 I injured my back at work , on Christmas day of 2011 we found out my DH had cancer .
    Being prepared for any thing has bought us through so much , I basically stay prepared for any thing if I did not we would of had a major problem through all this !! Great thread thanks for starting it and thanks for the replies there is some great info here.
    We are cancer free but dealing with lung issues
    (Life is fragile handle with prayer)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forest fires. We have a camper we would take as portable housing if need be, assuming we'd have time to hitch up.

For other emergencies, we always have plenty of food on hand, so could also get through weeks or months without having to spend much on groceries.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are preparing for any emergency, here are a few possibilities:

1) Pandemic
    2) Job loss or extended illness
    3) Power outage after storm or other disaster
    4) Hyper-inflation or economic collapse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast