Attn Preppers! What do you think about the current world situation? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Me too Daisy, I can't seem to find it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not LDS but here is one that many use:

Food Storage Calculator

Though to be honest doing it my way over the years , I tend to go with how much product I use in a yr. ( olive oil, coconut oil, rice , grains ) and figure my pantry from there. Hope this helps. Just remember store what you eat, eat what you store and rotate.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very cool link Daisy Girl have been on there before and forgot about some of the information on that site. Thank you for the reminder. Tried to put a link for you all but just goes to front page. Click on the side for food storage and you will see the planner, you download it as a zip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cocoa powder and coffee are fighting for my stockpiling dollars this week. I keep flip flopping. Still want to get at least one bag of rice, but wondering if I should get cocoa and coffee before the price goes up? Wish I could do all three.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep my yeast in the freezer and it does great. Plus you can get yeast super cheap at Costco and this way you can work thru the large amount of yeast
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been stocking up for a while now. Although I don't call myself a prepper I feel as a housewife it's my job to plan for the "just in case" & every time I turn around I see more reasons to do so.

Anyway, one really dumb question - if I want to put rice & flour into the 5 gal buckets should I empty them out of the packages? I buy 2lb bags of rice and 5 lb bags of flour ~ I know it's not the most cost effective but dh doesn't ask questions that way LOL. Can I just put the packaged items in?

Can I put the rice and flour into their respective containers directly (with/without packaging) with a bay leaf or do I need the mylar bags? I'd like to be able to use my "preps" regularly (scooping out flour as needed for example and putting it in the kitchen canister) so I don't think oxygen absorbers would really work.

Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wuvsnoopy View Post
    I've been stocking up for a while now. Although I don't call myself a prepper I feel as a housewife it's my job to plan for the "just in case" & every time I turn around I see more reasons to do so.

Anyway, one really dumb question - if I want to put rice & flour into the 5 gal buckets should I empty them out of the packages? I buy 2lb bags of rice and 5 lb bags of flour ~ I know it's not the most cost effective but dh doesn't ask questions that way LOL. Can I just put the packaged items in?

Can I put the rice and flour into their respective containers directly (with/without packaging) with a bay leaf or do I need the mylar bags? I'd like to be able to use my "preps" regularly (scooping out flour as needed for example and putting it in the kitchen canister) so I don't think oxygen absorbers would really work.

Thanks so much!
    That is how I do it as I mainly just have a pantry . Yes you can leave them in their packages and put into a bucket ,which many do or empty into the 5 gallon containers or gallon glass jars. I put a bay leaf in all my pasta and flour containers and don't have problems. White flour will last forever but if doing wheat you are actually better getting the berries ( hard white for baking bread, or hard red for bread, soft white for pastries etc) and grinding yourself as it is cheaper, healthier and has a longer storage life. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the current world situation stinks!

Can't get stocked up fast enough. Prices seem to be going up every single grocery store trip.

We're going to get our seeds started (milk jugs and potting soil) this weekend. Still about a month away before the plants can go into the ground.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    Daisy, I'm missing the Deyo Food storage link on the page or entirely overlooking it...can you tell me where on the page about?
    Yeah the link did not take you to the page I tried to copy.

On the left hand side go down the column until you see

72 hour
    Long Term
    Water
    Food Storage
    First Aid
    General Supplies

Click on "Food Storage"

This will bring you to another menu on a page with a dark background.

Go to "Food Storage Software" and click on the "Deyo Food Storage Planner."

When you click on that you will find a page with more information. The links are in red. Look for either US measurements or metric and click where it says "here". You will get a little gray box. You want to click on "Save" to save it to your computer. When you fill it in, you will have to rename it to get it to save on your computer.

Enjoy!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, finished up this week. Glad I had money from the food budget leftover these last three weeks due to illness. I sent my DH and only had him get the very basics. It worked out perfectly.

I only got a pound and a half of cocoa, it was $4.99 a pound. But here's the rest of what I got.

- 3- 20 pound bags of rice, so I now have 80 pounds of rice.
    - 10 more jars of organic pasta sauce @ $1.19, so now 20 jars
    - 7 lbs of ground chicken @ 99 cents a pound. Bought everyone they had.
    - 9 canisters of cornflake crumbs for breading

I was glad I got there today, the new stock they were putting out was priced higher. The Ground turkey I got for $1 a pound is now a $1.50 a pound. Everyone of the jars of pasta sauce with the exception of the organic that I bought was priced 10 cents to 50 cents higher depending on the brand. I hope I can get back and buy the rest before they are all gone. We'll see, it won't be till Tuesday or Thursday till I have the car for shopping again.

So, no coffee and just a little bit of cocoa. But I think I made wise choices. Now I just need to scan the flyers for this coming week's shopping trip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awesome finds, Polly! I'm especially envious of the organic pasta sauce!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The organic pasta sauce was a steal! But so was the rice, that brand is $17.99 a 20 lb. bag at the grocery store. One of the things I find at this food thrift store is whoever is doing the pricing in back thinks that organic or natural foods are yucky and prices them lower accordingly. I about dance a jig when they get gluten free products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up

Well, I got my stock up item for next weeks shopping trip today. I was lucky enough to get the car for a short window of time to take my Mom lunch, and grab cat food and bleach quick. I was really cutting the time close but on a whim I decided to check out the dried bean prices. Everyone of the bags of beans had gone up to almost double what they had been, but oddly enough there was one bag of beans that did not have a price change. The Great Northern store brand, it was priced 69 cents a pound. At first I thought I was seeing things, even checked out the Goya brand price for the same bean. The Goya brand was priced $1.59 a pound! I bought every bag of store brand Great Northern bean on the shelf, 22 bags of them.

Thinking I should raid my piggy bank and hit up the other 2 stores of the same name before they discover they forgot to raise the price on one of their bags of beans! I use about 3 pounds of some type of white bean every week, I'm sure I can use these in place of any white bean. I'd need 168 pounds of white beans to have a years worth. I wonder if I can get 168 pounds worth before they discover their error? I know I'm not going to point it out to them.

Registered User hippytreehugger4ever's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wjcalderon View Post
    I don't have a stockpile, but I'm going to start one.

I have a question about storing things like flour and sugar.
    How and where do you store a large quantity of flour so that it doesn't get bugs?
    What about sugar? I live in the very hot and humid deep south. I'm picturing my sugar turning into bricks!

I keep mine in the basement in an empty (unplugged) upright freezer (to keep mice out). The flour goes into the chest freezer out in the garage for a couple days to kill off bugs, then goes into the basement freezer. I keep all of my sugar, salt, noodles, etc in that freezer too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hippytreehugger4ever View Post
    I keep mine in the basement in an empty (unplugged) upright freezer (to keep mice out). The flour goes into the chest freezer out in the garage for a couple days to kill off bugs, then goes into the basement freezer. I keep all of my sugar, salt, noodles, etc in that freezer too.
    What a great idea!!!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast