What did you do today to prep? - Page 44
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3441424344454647 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default free firewood....i am so jealous...

This year...i am going to sk dh to go out and cut down some trees s soon as he can...we have 3 acres covered with trees and if he cuts down 20 to 30 of them...it is not noticeable....so they can season and we will have wood for winter....we have also been getting wood of the side of the road once the electric company goes through and trims the branches back....
    2012 Goals

Credit card: $917.00/ 937.00

Room Downstair semi completion: $900

Countertop: $400

Deck $750

Bedroom revamp: $400

2 replacement windows $400-$500

intex swimming pool for the kids

get dh to build daughter a chicken coop

Health Challenge 0/20 lbs

no spend days 0/209

grocery reduction 27.76/$300

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

3 bottle of syrup
    12 50# bags of cat litter
    4 books of stamps (rest of yr. covered)

Dh put up my over the toilet cabinet-finally. I will be able to store a lot more hygiene products and shift something else into that spot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had the best weekend! Took a break and had friends over- we rode horses, hiked, and had a campfire cookout!No prepping, well we are always on the hunt and I did see an antique claw foot bathtub on someones porch. I am going to stop in and ask about it because we are wanting to put an outdoor bathing area with a solar shower and tub in at our farm. I have a 10 dollar bet with DH that I can talk them out of that tub.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pulled out some of the reference type books I've collected over the last couple of years and put them inside my big pantry (not the one in my kitchen) so they are handy! They include...
    The Disaster Preparedness Handbook
    Emergency Food Storage and Survival Handbook
    Cooking With Food Storage
    Preserve It
    I have several others but need to find them!
    I also ordered from Amazon.....
    The Prepper's Pocket Guide
    When There Is No Doctor
    When There Is No Dentist
    I'd like to have a few good reference books for medical/dental issues should they occur!

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't posted in forever on here - here is a little update from me:

- expanding our stored water supply. not enough and will never, ever be enough. but doing the best I can.

- got LED headlamp, will get another one this week so we each have one.

- made list for BOBs but haven't assembled them and don't even have good bags, not sure what to use as I don't want to buy backpacks. I need several things on the list, most I have but some I don't, so I need to get on that.

- settled on a plan for a solar cooker. Have almost everything I need - none of my pots are black so I do need to buy one, I'm thinking a small one would be best.

- consolidated my enormous medical kit into one closet. I have enough medicine to treat an army, could also use to barter. Also increased my sanitary supplies (latex gloves etc).

- reorganized my pantry and HBA closet so no space is wasted and it is very organized now.

- water stores are at 2 weeks, food stores at 1 year for the 2 of us, 4.5 months if we have to feed an additional 3 people; HBA stores at 3-5 years (varies by product). Paper products at 1 yr - 18 months, less if need to support others' needs. Medical kit will need updating as things expire of course.

- have some seeds, need to get more - these are NOT heirloom seeds but they are what I could find, planning to use for this summer's little balcony garden. Bought potting soil. Still need pots, MIL says she has a bunch to give me. I plan to buy about 20 young plants as well in a few months for summer vegetables.

- have extra cooking gas on hand but not much. Planning to use solar cooker if we don't have electricity.

- candles, matches, lighters - stockpiled.

Right now my biggest priorities are:

1) get the black pot for the solar cooker and set it up and see if it works. I have a coupon and will be going to the supermarket this week, I hope they have a small black pot.

2) get more bottled water - hope to get another 10 L bottle this week.

3) make more progress on BOBs. Includes buying a knife.

4) get garden under way in a few more weeks.

Living in the city has very different challenges than living in the country. I'm preparing for a reduction in public services and potential civil unrest and bank closures following a Greek default. (Living in a working class city in Greece.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by calimomx2 View Post
    I pulled out some of the reference type books I've collected over the last couple of years and put them inside my big pantry (not the one in my kitchen) so they are handy! They include...
    The Disaster Preparedness Handbook
    Emergency Food Storage and Survival Handbook
    Cooking With Food Storage
    Preserve It
    I have several others but need to find them!
    I also ordered from Amazon.....
    The Prepper's Pocket Guide
    When There Is No Doctor
    When There Is No Dentist
    I'd like to have a few good reference books for medical/dental issues should they occur!
    I had two books that were similar to the last two on your list. They dissappeared three moves ago right after Y2K. I think my hubby hid them before he died.

I'm thinking perhaps that I should get them again, but as i plan to have all my teeth pulled this year, and my friend already has had his teeth pulled, we won't need it for ourselves but in case others have problems.
    Backwoodsgirl
    Last edited by Backwoodsgirl; 02-20-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: wrong book titles

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Found a Singer adjustable dress mannequin at S.A. w/ a base missing but brand new. They had $50 on it and I offered $40. and got it. I will have Ds make me a plywood base. They retail for $129.00 on Ebay, and it will fit DD and I.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a 300 gallon stock tank for 30 bucks. This is a good deal, and I am going to pick up a couple more. Good for storing water.I want to spout it off the gutters of the shed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a good day for prepping.

I bought two 10-L bottles of water, so now I have about 100 L of drinking water stored.

I bought a few materials for my solar cooker. I bought a black pot and a windshield sun protector. I also bought some very large food storage bags (large enough to hold my pot) because they don't sell turkey / oven bags here. I don't know if these will work. It maybe be a problem because of the heat. If they melt obviously they will not work. I don't know what else to do. I think ideally I would find a glass pot large enough to fit my black pot completely inside it but that is not going to be easy. I have an oven thermometer and I think I can cobble together whatever else I need.

I plan to try the solar cooker tomorrow morning if we have nice weather. I thought I'd try to cook some potatoes in it. Just a dry run really, no big deal if it doesn't work.

I found a source for enormous water containers, however I think they are too large. I'm afraid that if I filled the container with water, it would damage the balcony, and there's no space inside the apartment for it. But at least they exist, and only about 100 feet from my house in fact.

I planted my two celery ends. I just posted about it on my blog in fact: this is the celery that never ends… | homeingreece check it out and see my babies!! That's the first gardening of the year, too. Not sure if this is prepping exactly, but hey, it's food I'm growing myself.

Well that's it for me for prepping today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Didn't do a thing. Went to S.A. and got another vaccumn identical to the one I have for messy jobs (like construction cleanup). I figure it will be good for parts it nothing else.
    My new dog is having major knee surgery tomorrow and I am feeling very upset as it is very painful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    My new dog is having major knee surgery tomorrow and I am feeling very upset as it is very painful.
    Well, there's no hug button but sending you a hug anyway.
    Hoping everything goes well tomorrow. Poor little woofer...
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/August
    $

Coupons for Year / $745.54

August/ Grocery
    /Goal $175.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More Sept
    Goal 20
    Accomp/

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thankyou Nikosan he's the sweetest guy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

{{{frugalwarrior2}}} lots of hugs, I hope he comes through it well and it helps him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have some of those books on my wishlist at Amazon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ι set up my solar cooker for the first time but it was a miserable failure. It didn't get hot at all. There just wasn't nearly enough sun. It was very sunny for about the first 15 minutes, then it became overcast and the sun has not come back out again. I had it in there for 3 full hours and it never got over room temperature. I'm very disappointed but I'll start earlier tomorrow morning and hope for better luck with the weather.

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3441424344454647 ... LastLast