Found an LDS Cannery in Ontario
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Found an LDS Cannery in Ontario

I've been googling like a crazy lady to find an LDS Cannery and had finally decided they did not exist in Ontario. Finally a nice man on another forum sent me this info.

Daisy! There is an LDS Home Storage Center in Ontario…85 Queens Plate Drive
    Etobicoke, ON phone 416-741-3253 Bob in Texas

I'm just posting for other Canadians that might be looking - it was the darnedest thing to find! I can't wait to check out the great deals!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

uh, don't mention great deals when you contact them. you say you are interested in food storage. it's not a store. it's a factory and you have to do all the labor.

also, it's rather expensive.
    Last edited by ladykemma2; 03-13-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would love to be able to go to a cannery, but here they are not open to the public and I don't know anyone personally who goes. Most things I can find through a few online sources. I don't know how the price compares. The one thing I am most interested in is the non-instant milk. It is all instant everywhere else or is non-dairy.

I can buy small and I mean small bags from the health food store, but was interested in larger quantities.

I follow a young LDS woman's blog Everydayfoodstorage.net and have seen the huge bags of the non-instant milk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    uh, don't mention great deals when you contact them. you say you are interested in food storage. it's not a store.

also, it's rather expensive.
    Found the same thing, though I am not LDS lady, they were kind enough to let me can some things in the one near me. But overall I got much better prices buying in bulk at my co-op.
    *Angel*

Dave R. Plan
    Step one - Done
    Step two-Done
    Step three-Done
    Step four-Done
    Step five- Working on
    Step six- almost done
    Living debt free except the mortgage and working on that !!!

Be content with what you have;
    Rejoice in the way things are,
    When you realise there is nothing lacking,
    the whole world belongs to you.

-Lao Tzu

Have Courage
    “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires…courage.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..." Maya Angelou

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." (Confucius 551-478 BC)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

here is the price list. have to order several months in advance through your local church and you have to go on the set date.

Home Storage Center Order Form

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you, Kemma! Now, could you explain exactly what the cannery is? I thought you could purchase goods and preserve them there using borrowed equipment. Is that correct? I was also hoping to be able to acquire some things I have not been able to find elsewhere like Mylar bags, food safe buckets and dry milk, as well as learn a bit about how to use them.

Thanks for the order form - I am so excited!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post
    Thank you, Kemma! Now, could you explain exactly what the cannery is? I thought you could purchase goods and preserve them there using borrowed equipment. Is that correct? I was also hoping to be able to acquire some things I have not been able to find elsewhere like Mylar bags, food safe buckets and dry milk, as well as learn a bit about how to use them.

yes, you are correct! i was worried you thought you could just go in and buy stuff. no, the reality is you work there for a whole day including cleanup. mopping the factory floor and all that.

the mylar bags suck...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go to our local one quite often. For our area the price is good when buying in bulk from the LDS cannery. I go to the dry pack one locally and the wet pack when a group of friends is going. We get terrific deals. And we like borrowing the equipment too and having a dry pack party here at my house whe we find good deals on other items too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post

Just an FYI, canneries do not offer food safe buckets.

I recommend calling the cannery number for your local cannery. Some canneries are not open to the public.

Also, if you have some LDS friends, find out of their stake/ward does food storage orders and canning days. Then you might be able to package your items there.

You can buy the mylar pouches here: Dry-Pack Pouches - LDS Online Store If you have a food saver or a seal-a-meal that is wide enough, you can seal your pouches with that. Also, if you look on youtube you can find videos of how to seal your pouches with an iron. That said, it's much quicker and easier to use the mylar sealer from the cannery.

A note about mylar pouches, I think they are great for most things. For dry milk, hot cocoa, and/or flour, I recommend #10 cans.
    If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. ~Abigail Van Buren

I have learned that the three most loving words are “I love you,” and the four most caring words for those we love are “We can’t afford it.” ~Robert D. Hales