Winter Storm Warning!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Winter Storm Warning!!!

Nope, not really.

But, it's coming soon.

Every year for the past four, we've experienced a winter storm that knocked the power out. This year I intend to be completely prepared for everything. No rushing out to get something I've forgotten, no moving in with a friend who has power, no getting a hotel room.

Here are the things I have figured out so far:

HEAT: I have a propane camp heater that is okay for indoor use with an attachment so I can use a 20# propane tank. I have 2 propane tanks in the garage.

COOKING: I have a little warmer that uses a votive candle to heat canned goods. I'm on the lookout for a used Coleman camp stove for cooking other items. If we are out of power for the long term I have a hibachi for use outdoors.

FOOD: I've inventoried - we could go months on our stockpile. Something I've added to it is items that need no preparation. Crackers, peanut butter, chips, pop tarts, canned fruit, pudding cups. In the past I have forsworn this type of food but it's much nicer to have things that do not require effort in a grid down situation.

LIGHTING: Candles, kerosene lamps, and solar lights.

WATER: We've never lost our running water but if we did, I have 2 weeks of drinking water stored in the attic.

We have curtains up so we can quickly and easily partition off the kitchen and living room in order to conserve heat. I also have quilts that can quickly be hung over the windows.

So, think about this little drill. Figure out your HEAT, LIGHTING, FOOD, COOKING AND WATER.

If anyone has other, safer heat options that can be used in an apartment I'd be very interested in hearing them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is NOTHING like being prepared and having a plan. Good for you!
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was watching a news report. For my area they were calling for above normal cold for the winter. YUUUUCCCKKKK!!! Know I will be warm but am not looking forward to the heater going on constantly and living in a cave.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a kerosene heater that we use for backup heat if ours goes out. We have a campstove also for cooking. I have lots of candles and 2 oil lanterns & extra oil for lighting. We'd like to get a woodstove to put in the corner of our livingroom dh said we will see about that. I have extra water in my pantry stored.
    Loving Wife to Ken 29 yrs & 3 sons
    My furbaby: /Sparky paw:Jack Russel,Beagle,Dashaund mix
    Change jar ?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God & he will give you your hearts desires. (Matt 6:33)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post
    Nope, not really.

But, it's coming soon.
    what a scare.
    Every year for the past four, we've experienced a winter storm that knocked the power out. This year I intend to be completely prepared for everything. No rushing out to get something I've forgotten, no moving in with a friend who has power, no getting a hotel room.

Here are the things I have figured out so far:

HEAT: I have a propane camp heater that is okay for indoor use with an attachment so I can use a 20# propane tank. I have 2 propane tanks in the garage.

I have a propane like what you are talking about works great called Mr. Heater we bought the bigger one. plus propane bottles.

COOKING: I have a little warmer that uses a votive candle to heat canned goods. I'm on the lookout for a used Coleman camp stove for cooking other items. If we are out of power for the long term I have a hibachi for use outdoors.

I also have a coleman cookstove to cook on i love it wtg

FOOD: I've inventoried - we could go months on our stockpile. Something I've added to it is items that need no preparation. Crackers, peanut butter, chips, pop tarts, canned fruit, pudding cups. In the past I have forsworn this type of food but it's much nicer to have things that do not require effort in a grid down situation.

LIGHTING: Candles, kerosene lamps, and solar lights.

WATER: We've never lost our running water but if we did, I have 2 weeks of drinking water stored in the attic.

We have curtains up so we can quickly and easily partition off the kitchen and living room in order to conserve heat. I also have quilts that can quickly be hung over the windows.

So, think about this little drill. Figure out your HEAT, LIGHTING, FOOD, COOKING AND WATER.

If anyone has other, safer heat options that can be used in an apartment I'd be very interested in hearing them!
    thanks

You have beatiful daughters Karen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Remembering what happened to your window last year - perhaps buying a sheet or two of plywood and the necessary tools prior to winter hitting could be beneficial? Do you have enough extra blankies/sleeping bags/thermal blankies should the power go out again? What about buying juice boxes or enhanced drink stick/powder mixes to go with the water stored in the attic? This way you won't lose nutrients - ie vitamins from fresh fruits but in this case, juice form?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

There's nothing like the peace that prevails when you know you have done all that is possible to prepare for any eventuality.
    I've made plans, back-up plans, and back-up, back-up plans for heat, water, food, minor construction, and sanity (books, magazines, games, etc.). I always (foolishly) assume I'm ready, but take notes regardless.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector that works on batteries. Can never be too safe when you are using propane, kerosene, candles, etc.

They make LED hand crank lanterns that don't have the fire hazard of other methods of lighting - whatever means you decide to use - place lights in front of mirrors to reflect even more light.

Heat water to boiling then add to dry soup mix, rice, pasta, etc - and place in thermos to finish cooking - saves on fuel, and keeps the food warm longer.

Don't forget entertainment - battery or hand crank radios, decks of cards, books, board games, hand crafts. . . something to deal with the boredom.

Dress in layers - much warmer than one bulky sweater . . .

I also buy the snap activated hand/body/toe warmers that hunters use- especially for bedtime, when I may not want to use other methods for heat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

+1 on the CO detector. If you think it's not important, read this: 5 Bikers Found Dead At Tenn. Charity Event | Fox News
    Be sure the heater you have is rated for indoor use, and be sure to provide ventilation in the form of an open window. I would also advise not using it while you sleep. If you properly outfit your sleeping arrangements and dress warmly including a cozy hat on your head for sleeping, you'll be plenty warm even on a very cold night. BTDT.

I think it would take three or four forevers to heat anything with a votive candle. A campstove is a good idea. You will need a flame-proof surface to set it on when you're using it.

Sounds like you're getting things in order, just in case.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector that works on batteries. Can never be too safe when you are using propane, kerosene, candles, etc.

Excellent point!
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sometime in October I'll go through my winter list.

~ check propane tanks and fill if needed for grill
    ~ change out the stored water
    ~ check batteries and that we have back up batteries
    ~ check that gas and oil cans are full in the garage for tools such as chainsaw
    ~ check experation date (use and replace if getting close) and amounts of food stock such as powdered milk, rock salt, ect.
    ~ have hubby make sure the shovel, extension cords, and old roll of chain link fence is actually accessible to us normal human beings out in the garage
    ~ wash to freshen up the winter blankets

Last time power was out for an extended period in the cold we boiled water on the gas stove for heat. I need to come up with a better alternaive.

**** the old chain link roll - its about a 6 to 10 foot length of fencing we had taken down that comes in handy as traction when a vehicle gets stuck in the snow just lay it on the ground wedgeing one end under the wheels as best you can

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You guys are inspiring me to get ready ahead of the winter !!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    +1 on the CO detector. If you think it's not important, read this: 5 Bikers Found Dead At Tenn. Charity Event | Fox News
    Be sure the heater you have is rated for indoor use, and be sure to provide ventilation in the form of an open window. I would also advise not using it while you sleep. If you properly outfit your sleeping arrangements and dress warmly including a cozy hat on your head for sleeping, you'll be plenty warm even on a very cold night. BTDT.

I think it would take three or four forevers to heat anything with a votive candle. A campstove is a good idea. You will need a flame-proof surface to set it on when you're using it.

Sounds like you're getting things in order, just in case.
    That is exactly the little bit I was going to contribute .
    We lost power once for 1 1/2 days when a local transformer blew, and you can get really toasty with a cozy hat on your head whether sleeping under piles of blankies or just around the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our daughter and I moved to our current town in January one year, a couple weeks in advance of the rest of the family due to work that needed to be done on the new house. Namely, the furnace was sitting in the basement but not connected to anything, and it was mid-January. The house hadn't been heated in years.

We moved two twin beds into the kitchen when we got there late in the day, then draped heavy curtains over the doorways to help hold in the heat. We baked a cake to heat the oven up and give us a little heat. We slept with no heat in the house that night except what little the oven gave off after baking the cake and it was turned off and the door opened. Both of us slept just fine and weren't a bit cold. The overnight low that night was about ten below zero.

We typically sleep in our camper without the furnace, which is a pain to use because it's LOUD. And expensive, since heating a pop-up is similar to heating a tent. If we have power, great, we are toasty in our bunks by turning on the heated mattress pads. No power, no problem, we're still toasty with an extra comforter, fleece hat, and wool socks. We've comfortably camped in temps into the low twenties with that method and no heat.

It's easy enough to stay warm while sleeping without using a dangerous appliance. Especially if said dangerous appliance was used to heat up the place before going to bed, then turning it off so it can't kill you in the night.

Daisy, try heating some food using the candle and see what happens. If it works out, let us know! Maybe a ring of them would work better than one.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 09-26-2011 at 09:39 PM.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this is a good thread. It is helping me to get my plan together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast