Frugal Village Forums banner

Doomsday Preppers - a new series

13K views 132 replies 36 participants last post by  Mr Fixit 
#1 ·
#122 ·
My husband and I finally watched it- the episode with the girl in Texas planning to hike out of the city to her 'bug out' truck then drive to Mexico made us laugh when the experts informed her Mexico is 320 miles away, but her truck only has a range of 300 miles in the tank. Ooops. But she's already planned to kill her cats if the SHTF. O-key doke-y.

#123 ·
She was a bit of a case wasn't she>>>> I feel sorry for her cats. I am surprised she didn't say she would take them along and eat them as she went or something. And to think, she works out 4 hrs a day to be ready...yea, right... and where was this boyfriend of hers? Is he not hiking out with her? Maybe he will just shoot her in the head and eat her....

But anyway, I love watching the show - lol

#124 ·
Hehe I liked that girl!! I liked that she put so much emphasis on physical fitness. Kind of refreshing after watching these other guys who are all convinced the end of the world is coming and they can survive it, and yet they clearly have at least major risk factors for chronic health problems, if not health problems already. She's young and fit and those two things are worth a great deal in ANY situation, whether it's the economic collapse or an earthquake or whatever it might be.

I refuse to believe that those people on that show are preparing for individual events like one particular earthquake that might happen. I'm sure that's the the gimmick of the show - to showcase a possible disaster each time (I think I posted that view earlier on this thread already actually) - but in her case, she's one of the only ones who probably would be ahead of the game in ANY situation.

And so what if her truck runs out of gas 20 miles before the border? She can easily walk 20 miles. I've walked 20 miles in one go and I've never been in as good shape as she is, so I know she can do it.

I went through a period in my life where I worked out 3-4 hours/day and I ended up in the hospital so I do hope she finds balance... but there are worse things to do in one's spare time than pullups. Girls who can do pullups rock.

#125 ·
The point is the extra 20 miles took her by total surprise, she planned everything down to killing her cats but didn't realize she couldn't drive the distance she thought. I wasn't going to be the one to say it- but yah, the work-out 4 hrs a day thing- don't buy it. Maybe she started last week? Because while she's in decent shape, she's not in I-work-out-4-hours-a-day shape, not nearly.

#126 ·
I thought she was out of shape, but maybe it was muscle? In that case she would be tough. Now the children.... Apocolypto Veal.

#127 ·
I thought she looked in shape, granted I saw it a few weeks ago. She can do pullups, though, can't she? I seem to recall that she was doing them although maybe I'm remembering incorrectly - for a woman her weight to do pullups would usually take at least 6 months of training. I weighed way less than she did and I had a counterweight machine to train on and it still took me months to do them. Some women are naturally strong and can do them more easily but a woman who is heavier needs to be really, really fit, since she'd be lifting her entire weight with her lats.

The kind of training that she was doing should be bulking her up, not slimming her down. There are advantages to being light (flexibility, speed) but probably more to being strong. You can't be strong without muscle.

#130 ·
I watched an episode the other day and someone was preparing for China to default on the US debt. Then at the end of the show, the "experts" said China won't do that since the US is the largest buyer of their goods. It seems like the "experts" negate what the preppers are doing somehow.

I like the show. I think some are too extreme but I can understand how some would become preppers. I like the woman that lived in Montana and she remembered the helplessness she felt when a train crashed during the wintertime and she wasn't prepared. The town wasn't prepared too. I can understand how she became a prepper. I just don't know when she will feel satisfied and take a break. Maybe never.

#131 ·
on one of the episodes, a family made some kind of dried ?? to use to burn. What was that called?

#133 ·
Doomsday Preppers. My first opinion is that now that those people have been on television, everybody that knows them will know where to go when they run out of food, water, etc. So just being on that show is a huge mistake. And furthermore, I think the show makes sensible non extreme preppers look loke a bunch of idiots.
A lot of people believe what they see on television so now when you admit to being a prepper, they are going to remember all of the fruitcakes they see on this show, and more than likely, put you in the same group.
I refuse to watch that show because of that. I think the SHTF in many forms such as tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, and even power outages, and that is more what I prepare for.
Most SHTF events are not like a Walter Mitty novel, but real natural events we have no control over, and they are much more likely than total social collapse, or the end of the world as we know it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.