Doomsday Preppers - a new series - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No,as written only. there very nice just bound by rules, My ins. company will only fill a prescription 4-7 days before the other is gone and only in 30 day lots. If it was for 31 I pay another co-pay. Rules,rules,rules! 90 prescriptions are mail order only. And to get that signed up is ugly.

He said he needed to see the paper from the medco.
    He's kinda a pain sometimes. Like he had me on folic for homocystine levels and then said he found it can cause cervical cancer. So we get results back and my levels are too high. So he goes why did I go off it. I said you said to and said why. He said he never said that! I need to tape him.
    I would change but I can get bone density,mamms,ekg,xray,lab,etc all in his complex on the same day and have.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hidebound rule-followers! I always used to ask for generic even when the doctor had written the brand name and they always gave me what I wanted. I think everyone has become so afraid of being sued now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been on Lipitor for years. It lowered my cholesterol over 110 pts. But i think it has side effects. My DR. of course says I am full of it. (prob. w/ recall and memory and sometimes my left leg doesn't lift as high when I walk, and grip strength)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

GreekIG-It automatically goes to generic unless it states to fill as written.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Like anything else on TV these days you just have to take it all with a 'grain of salt'...

While we are watching the extremes- there are good points that need to be considered.

BOB ~ Bug Out Bags: These are excellent to have in case of any scenario. For those that don't know what they are: a prepared easy to carry bag ready at a moments notice that will sustain your family for up to 72 hrs with no additional help or support being offered. There are plenty of websites that can give you lists and ideas of what to have readily available but remember that each family is different and the lists should only be used as guidelines. The bag should also be made with the mindset that there is always the possibility that you will be spending those 72 hrs camping out in the woods instead of parked in front of the TV on a hotel bed. So plan ahead accordingly.

There could be a multitude of reasons that you would have to bug-out and they all don't have to do with the end of the world as we know it. There could be natural disasters, man-made disasters (case in point: I live near a railroad track. One day a train could derail with deadly chemicals and I have just 5 mins to leave my home).

My cats have a BOB even (contents: small bag litter, small litter pan, 2 bowls, gallon size bag of dry food, 3 cans canned food, spoon, full water bottle, treats) We keep a full size dog cage with kitty house and blanket ready at all times (obviously this is going to be a little more difficult running down the road with during a crisis so this is mostly if we are able to drive out) in the case of leaving on foot we have a smaller, much more cramped kitty carrier that breaks down. Their necessities are kept in an easy to throw over the shoulder bag.

All this is kept in the basement bathroom closet where we go in the event of a tornado. Think about it- if your house is demolished in a storm the last thing you can think about (or even find) is the necessary items to sustain you for even the next 24 hrs. Or if you get that knock on the door and are told to evacuate and we don't know when you can come back home. Or heavens forbid, the doomsdayers were right all along and you have to run for your lives.

It's just smart planning that's all. Kinda like one day you know you will retire and need to have a source of income so you start saving early on and live now like you have some common sense.

That's just one girls thoughts on the whole thing anyway....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    I have been on Lipitor for years. It lowered my cholesterol over 110 pts. But i think it has side effects. My DR. of course says I am full of it. (prob. w/ recall and memory and sometimes my left leg doesn't lift as high when I walk, and grip strength)
    That junk about killed me!!! Yes, those are the side effects including some permanent damage.

Fish Oil is a safer alternative.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i just got forks over knives and am just started reading it. want to get the engine 2 diet book both talk about eating a plant-based diet. and there was one story where this firefighter lowered his cholesterol which if i recall correctly was 426 down to 196. so my whole family is getting read to implement the new eating style. dd is almost there anyway, ds does enjoy his chicken occasionally.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsgirl View Post
    That junk about killed me!!! Yes, those are the side effects including some permanent damage.

Fish Oil is a safer alternative.

Backwoodsgirl
    Can you provide some links to studies that show that this pill causes permanant damage?
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Telling the truth means you never have to remember which lie you told.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just some random thoughts...

Doomsday is defined as: the end of the worlds existance.

Prepping for this to me is: put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye.

So, if you're going to prep for anything, I think the most likely scenario is a natural disaster or job loss. Job loss is included in a financial meltdown if you want to take it to that extreme.

Regarding a natural disaster... we need to look no further than Darlene. Her and her husband lived through it. Knowing what I know about it, if she would have stockpiled tons of food the way the show is depicting, she would have had no way to move it and it would have all been wasted.

So I guess my point is: Does your "plan" include all of your stockpile being destroyed??
    Last edited by Russ; 02-22-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Can you provide some links to studies that show that this pill causes permanant damage?
    I can't provide any links but Mom's cousin ended up in a wheelchair because of permanent damage to his thigh muscles due to Lipitor. His doctor said that was the cause. Mom was taking it and started to have weakness in her legs so she quit. It's been 4 years and she still hasn't fully recovered. Other relatives had the same problem and quit taking it. It's not just Lipitor, it's other statins also. A good doctor will tell you if you have any muscle weakness or pain to tell them and they will usually take you off the statin drugs.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just have a problem with a NON doctor and/or medical professional ( not that they are always right) giving advice and making claims.

If someone is going to make claims or give medical advice, they should back up those claims with facts, not just personal opinion.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Regarding Lipitor: my doctor also gave me literature that stated if I had any muscle weakness to notify him immediately.
    Here is a link from the National Institute of Health

http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p...th/PMH0000009/

What side effects can this medication cause?

Atorvastatin may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

diarrhea

constipation

gas

headache

joint pain

Some side effects can be serious. The following symptoms are uncommon, but if you experience any of them, call your doctor immediately:

muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness

lack of energy

fever

chest pain

nausea

extreme tiredness

unusual bleeding or bruising

loss of appetite

pain in the upper right part of the stomach

flu-like symptoms

yellowing of the skin or eyes

rash

hives

itching

difficulty breathing or swallowing

swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs

hoarseness

Atorvastatin may cause other side effects. Call your doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking this medication.

If you experience a serious side effect, you or your doctor may send a report to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program online [at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch] or by phone [1-800-332-1088].

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

http://http://www.drugs.com/sfx/lipi...e-effects.html

This link is written for professional medical workers and discusses the muscle, skeletal, neurological (including memory problems), renal (including renal failure) and other side effects that can happen with Lipitor and other statins.

BTW, I have been on statins for years with no apparent side effects.(Even have some in my stockpile for when TSHTF) Doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mzpepper View Post

BTW, I have been on statins for years with no apparent side effects.(Even have some in my stockpile for when TSHTF) Doesn't mean it doesn't happen to other people.
    yes, I get that.

No need for more links.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been wondering all along about these huge stockpiles in the case of a natural disaster where your house is destroyed and the stockpile along with it. IMO, big stockpiles are best in the case of job loss or prolonged illness or other non-destructive event. If the stockpile gets destroyed, all the money tied up in it is wasted.

Our most likely natural disaster here would be a wildfire. There is no way a stockpile would help us in that case, and no reasonable way to save it. If I had minutes to leave, or even hours, I damn sure wouldn't be worrying about how to move hundreds of pounds of food. I'd be worrying first about myself, my husband, and my pets, then small valuables including cash on hand, credit cards, and important papers, then our camper, and then any small amount of supplies we could take to see us through a few days. If I had time and space, then it would be heirlooms or other personal items.

I've thought the same sometimes about the non-food items I have in my house, like craft supplies and other things I have a lot of money tied up in, that would be difficult to quantify for insurance purposes after the fact. I'd hate to think it would all be a total loss, but it most likely would be.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast