Doomsday Preppers - a new series - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    I agree with Backwoodsgirl. There is no way anybody can store up enough of everything. I just want to learn how to produce the things we need.

Economic collapse and "doomsday" happened in Bosnia, Zimbabwe, Weimar, Germany; Argentina and many other places. I think it's a bit naive of us here in the US to think it can't happen here.

I try to live a life of "sustainable preparedness".
    Look whats been going on in the Middle East of course it could happen.

Super duper Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I've been wondering all along about these huge stockpiles in the case of a natural disaster where your house is destroyed and the stockpile along with it. IMO, big stockpiles are best in the case of job loss or prolonged illness or other non-destructive event. If the stockpile gets destroyed, all the money tied up in it is wasted.

Our most likely natural disaster here would be a wildfire. There is no way a stockpile would help us in that case, and no reasonable way to save it. If I had minutes to leave, or even hours, I damn sure wouldn't be worrying about how to move hundreds of pounds of food. I'd be worrying first about myself, my husband, and my pets, then small valuables including cash on hand, credit cards, and important papers, then our camper, and then any small amount of supplies we could take to see us through a few days. If I had time and space, then it would be heirlooms or other personal items.
    Thank you. You put it much better than I did.

I have to believe that most stock piles are kept in the house. House destroyed by tornado, flood or fire = stockpile gone. Does insurance cover that?

“There is no dignity
    quite so impressive,
    and no independence
    quite so important,
    as living within your means.”
    ― Calvin Coolidge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would think insurance might cover it as personal property but you'd have to be able to show you actually had that stuff. How? Not only would the paperwork for it (receipts) most likely be destroyed, but it's the kind of thing where the inventory would always be changing, so what you had last month isn't necessarily what you have the day of the loss. It's not like a TV or a car where you have the same one for years. Anyone could walk into the insurance office and claim they have $5,000 worth of food in their basement, but I would think the insurance company would expect some proof before they paid out.

I'm not sure at all how claims like that would be handled. I'm sure it varies, like everything else having to do with insurance.

Those who TRULY believe the world is ending will not be stockpiling. What would the point be?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default A very good point...

if people really thought the world was going to end they would not be stockpiling(hogwash in my eyes) but i think alot of people like myself believe the world is not going to end...it is going to continue to exist...it is just going to throw curveballs at us such as natural disasters, economic collapse(even further than now) etc... and by stockpiling we are preparing for times when we might not be able to purchase items at the grocery store or not be able to afford them...
    2012 Goals

Credit card: $917.00/ 937.00

Room Downstair semi completion: $900

Countertop: $400

Deck $750

Bedroom revamp: $400

2 replacement windows $400-$500

intex swimming pool for the kids

get dh to build daughter a chicken coop

Health Challenge 0/20 lbs

no spend days 0/209

grocery reduction 27.76/$300

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would think insurance might cover it as personal property but you'd have to be able to show you actually had that stuff. How? Not only would the paperwork for it (receipts) most likely be destroyed, but it's the kind of thing where the inventory would always be changing, so what you had last month isn't necessarily what you have the day of the loss. It's not like a TV or a car where you have the same one for years. Anyone could walk into the insurance office and claim they have $5,000 worth of food in their basement, but I would think the insurance company would expect some proof before they paid out.

I'm not sure at all how claims like that would be handled. I'm sure it varies, like everything else having to do with insurance.

Those who TRULY believe the world is ending will not be stockpiling. What would the point be?
    I think you would have to get a rider on your home insurance insurance to cover $5,000 in food. Much like you have to have a rider for expensive jewelry, or expensive musical instruments.

I think some of the extreme coupons on the extreme coupon shows alluded to this as fact.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 19 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it's always good to have some preparation for the down times. When it becomes an obsession or starts to interfere with being able to enjoy life, or causes people to live in fear in a daily basis, then I think it's time to take a step back and look at the positives, of which there are many.

There have always been natural disasters, and economies have always run in cycles. We're in a down cycle right now. Personally, I think it's starting an upswing again based on things I see happening locally which IMO are indicators of things happening nationally and maybe globally, although if gas prices go up very much it will be a setback.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't imagine insuring food would be the same as insuring something of more lasting value, such as jewelry. I could be wrong since I really don't know, but it just seems like that would be different.

Super duper Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it's always good to have some preparation for the down times. When it becomes an obsession or starts to interfere with being able to enjoy life, or causes people to live in fear in a daily basis, then I think it's time to take a step back and look at the positives, of which there are many.

There have always been natural disasters, and economies have always run in cycles. We're in a down cycle right now. Personally, I think it's starting an upswing again based on things I see happening locally which IMO are indicators of things happening nationally and maybe globally, although if gas prices go up very much it will be a setback.
    The voice of reason, IMO. Thanks SD.

“There is no dignity
    quite so impressive,
    and no independence
    quite so important,
    ― Calvin Coolidge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't imagine insuring food would be the same as insuring something of more lasting value, such as jewelry. I could be wrong since I really don't know, but it just seems like that would be different.
    You probably do have to have proof like a recent video.

For jewelry you have to have a insurance paper stating the value.

So yeah, it would be different but I'm betting it could be done. It would sure make your stockpile cost more though. Paying a premium to have it insured.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with Russ, a voice of reason. Thanks

Economically things here locally are improving. I think we have had more time to upturn here though as our factory major employer here closed 2008/2009. But we rebuilt and worked together as a community and now are growing again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Russ and Imagine.

I think it would be lumped under personal property, but of course it would depend on the policy like everything else. I'm sure this comes up often, because even if you don't have your whole basement full of food, even just replacing what's in a freezer and pantry for day to day use can run into a lot of money. So there must be a way for insurance companies to handle it.

I suppose if there was something like a fire, an adjustor could actually see the remains of canned goods and things like that, which would be proof the food was actually there.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 02-21-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can see signs of economic growth all over in our region. The naysayers who enjoy being negative will say it's all political but that's a hard argument to make when new businesses are moving in, job openings are being posted, and people are being hired.

Shipping of iron ore was way up last year. That means there is an increased demand for steel, which means there must be an increased demand for products made of steel, which in turn means an uptick in jobs to make the items from the steel, or soon will be. Somebody's building something somewhere. And that's just one segment. Steel is only one component that goes into steel goods, so there are other manufacturers that have to employ people to supply the additional components. The ripple effect will means more jobs all the way around.

New vocational courses are being added to some of the community colleges here, because there is an increased demand for skilled labor for certain manufacturing segments here.

I believe there's reason for optimism and it's not just wishful thinking. Stuff like this is not a 'feeling' but instead is based in fact. We're not out of this recession yet, but it does seem like we're starting to turn around as a country.

Super duper Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Where is that dang "thank you" button?

“There is no dignity
    quite so impressive,
    and no independence
    quite so important,
    ― Calvin Coolidge

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Russ.

I think it would be lumped under personal property, but of course it would depend on the policy like everything else. I'm sure this comes up often, because even if you don't have your whole basement full of food, even just replacing what's in a freezer and pantry for day to day use can run into a lot of money. So there must be a way for insurance companies to handle it.

I suppose if there was something like a fire, an adjustor could actually see the remains of canned goods and things like that, which would be proof the food was actually there.
    I think most insurance companies have limits on their payouts for items though. I know we have to a special rider on our homeowners insurance to cover the replacement of our guns/ammo. They had a cap on what they would cover and our weapons' value exceeds that. I think someone else has mentioned that some of the people on extreme couponers (whatever that show is) have an insurance policy on their stockpile.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can have an insurance policy or rider and it will cover food storage, as long as the items were obtained before a disaster.You will need photos, an inventory, an estimate of value and proof that you have the storage capacity for the items claimed.It would not hurt to have receipts. You can keep the inventory items and other paperwork in a safety deposit box or other personal areas away from the home.You agent can have an updated inventory file with the needed items.All stockpiles of this sort are most likely meticulously inventoried, and many foods are shelf stable for up to 30 years, reducing the need for continual rotating.I would check with your TRUSTED insurance agent. Just as I would not live by a stream without flood insurance, I would not stockpile these huge amounts without a replacement policy.To do so would be foolish in my opinion, some I am sure would be willing to take that risk for reasons of their own. It comes back to bite them.
    I agree that prepping can become obsessive, and it appears to take over peoples lives. What I do notice is that many of these couples seem to do this as a form of activity that they enjoy doing together. It may be their form of togetherness and building and working together for a common goal. To me personally, it is a better shared activity than shopping with a credit card at the mall.( It is not good to prep for the future with a credit card at the mall.Grin) To each his own.What a wonderful gift for a food bank, friends or family, or just a food savings, if times look up. What a blessing of food and necessities in times of trouble.One thing I know about life(for now) is that it goes on.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast