Doomsday Preppers - a new series - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, Russ, where is the dang TY button!

That makes sense, McD and Annymoll. I think most anything that wouldn't be in the average home would have to have a rider.

Prepping as a shared hobby. Now there's something I hadn't thought about!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Can you provide some links to studies that show that this pill causes permanant damage?
    Didn't find any studies back then, suppose somebody has done them since, since there were some people bringing class actions suites at the time.

I started taking it and my leg swelled up like a tree trunk, I peed brown and my right shoulder started hurting really badly. I got online to find out if others were having symptoms from it and that when I ran into a whole slew of sites where people were complaining about it and some had taken it so long it caused permanent damage and they had trouble walking.

Here's what I found from searching the NIH site(National Institute of Health). They had a link to Pub Med where you can do free searches of medical journals.

I typed in a search for "statin damage" without quotes and came up with an awful lot of documented cases of statin damage to muscles, and also some heart and memory problems.

statin damage - PMC - NCBI

Also, this site lists a lot of documentation:

Statin Drug Danger

You have to follow the link and sometimes type in your own search criteria.

But overall, yes there is evidence of statin damage.

Also, check out this site:

Consumer complaints about Pfizer - Lipitor

Here's another site. Read the article and then check the footnotes.
    Lipitor - The Human Cost - Health Supreme

And this:

Statin Side Effects Linked to Muscle Damage: Study - AboutLawsuits.com

It's Not Dementia, It's Your Heart Medication: Cholesterol Drugs and Memory: Scientific American

Study Links Risk of Diabetes and Crestor, Lipitor, Other Statins - AboutLawsuits.com

Study links statins to nerve damage

Problems With Highest Dose Of Zocor Were Well Known : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

Statins - drug class, medical uses, medication side effects, and drug interactions by MedicineNet.com

High Doses Of Simvastatin Carry Risk Of Muscle Damage : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

Rhabdomyolysis Lawsuit - AboutLawsuits.com

FDA announces new safety recommendations for high-dose simvastatin

Backwoodsgirl

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You must have missed this.

yes, I get that.

No need for more links.
    I saved 100% by buying nothing. Best sale of the year.

Telling the truth means you never have to remember which lie you told.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by annymoll View Post
    I agree that prepping can become obsessive, and it appears to take over peoples lives. What I do notice is that many of these couples seem to do this as a form of activity that they enjoy doing together. It may be their form of togetherness and building and working together for a common goal. To me personally, it is a better shared activity than shopping with a credit card at the mall.( It is not good to prep for the future with a credit card at the mall.Grin) To each his own.What a wonderful gift for a food bank, friends or family, or just a food savings, if times look up. What a blessing of food and necessities in times of trouble.One thing I know about life(for now) is that it goes on.
    I finally have a "life partner" and we work great together...he sees it like I do. We are far from being out of the woods.

They just passed a bill to lower Social Security Payroll Taxes. Which means that Soc. Sec. will probably go bankrupt a lot sooner than later.

That in and of itself, to us, would be considered a disaster. We are both disabled. I tried getting off of disability against doctor's orders and crashed and burned. I can maintain employment for a max of 6 months and then I crash and it takes several months just to recover enough to do normal every day things again.

My partner has a bad heart. His valve is shredded plus some other health problems.

We are preparing to be as independent as possible, which is a little difficult on a little over $1,500 a month between the two of us.

We live in FL and we don't use air conditioning. We burn wood for heat. I cook from scratch and I economize, economize, economize. However, seeing as our income automatically is reduced in less than ten years from now, we are also having to work hard at getting things squared away for when that time comes.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you.
    I have to believe that most stock piles are kept in the house. House destroyed by tornado, flood or fire = stockpile gone. Does insurance cover that?
    Yes. During the hurricanes when our roof partially went...electric out etc when the agent finally made it out to the house he HIMSELF asked if we lost food...besides the fridge did we have an extra freezer, which we did in the garage. He wrote up $500 loss for food. We would never have thought of it as a possible payable loss.

On Extreme Couponers I watched one episode where the couponer had a rider on her/his ( don't remember) policy that covered I want to say $50,000 of stockpile. They expounded on it somewhat as to what was needed as proof. Pictures ocassionally updated etc. It might have been the man who sent $1000's of stuff overseas to the soldiers.

So yes, it can be insured and we were very very lucky as we didn't have a rider. Maybe a small loss is automatically written in some policies as a personal.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/October
    $103.86

October/ Grocery
    /Goal $200.00 Total $63.25

Eat Out No More Oct
    Goal 20
    Accomp/20

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/11

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well,I have to go on record to say that no one solution is going to cover all situations.
    If you stockpiles for possible job loss your NOT going to take it all w/ you in case of a tornado. Maybe then you need to store some at a friends house or a cabin?
    And if your going to bugout maybe dehydrated or MRE's instead of cans.lol
    And paperwork should be stored at 2 locations anyway.
    I was discussing that we may want to keep food at a few locations in the house. We have a lg. tree I will cut asap but in the meantime just the right storm...
    And if theres a riot or looting (lived thru the Detroit riots as a child) it might be good to store it several places??

Just a few of my "brilliant" thoughts!
    You can't plan for everything but you should plan for something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm just planning for next month.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Civil unrest can happen at anytime, anywhere. And the way people are acting anymore I think we are all a lot closer to cracking up than we realize.

Look at New Orleans or LA during the Rodney King fiasco. These should be a real eye-opener to those that think the world is only full of rainbows & sunshine. Luckily these were isolated incidents and things were brought under control much more quickly than if there had been multiple unrest in many places at the same time. We only have so many forces available to control the masses and they cannot be everywhere at once. (And we have shown what we are capable of doing to one another).

While I am far from a Doomsdayer- I am however, a realist. And I realize that things can happen. Living in a small rural town (as opposed to living in a big city) I feel we are actually safer here but there are no guarantees.

With that being said, my family members that do reside in big cities have been instructed by me that if unrest does occur that they should abandon their properties (there is NOTHING material that is worth DYING over) and head my way. Their specific instructions are to grab all their available food stuffs, hba's & pick up the older family members that no longer drive and head for the hills. We have our home here and also a cabin in the woods about 25 mins from my home. If I felt our safety in my home was compromised we would all head for the cabin. (Sits in the middle of 120 acres and a pain in the rear to get to. People won't be heading out here to steal from us- that will only happen if there is truly nothing left of the world outside).

Once again, it's not an obsession with the end of the world- it's just another plan to try to stay one step ahead at all times....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Admittedly, I did not read this entire thread. My thought on the show is that preppers are, by nature, a somewhat paranoid group of people ~ no prepper worth their salt would go on national TV and show to the world everything they have stock piled.

Jason and I prep. Our thought process is to think of the most likely scenario that could happen and prep for that and chances are you are probably prepped for a lot of other things, because of that.

We live on the West Coast, just outside of Seattle ~ our most likely disasters are multi day power outages (up to 14 days sometimes) or a great big, rock the world earthquake (they've been saying we're due for one for about 100 years now).

In both of those situations, because we live on a peninsula that would be difficult to get it if the bridges go out, we envision we would not leave our house for quite some time. We're prepared for that.

We've also done a lot of research on the Argentina economic collapse and see a lot of parallels between what happened there and what is appearing to happen here. Again, we are set up to not have to leave our house for quite some time.

We are also able to defend our property in the event it comes to that (not as likely) (although robberies in our small, quiet corner of the world are very much on the rise lately).

Another possible scenario is a house fire (or damaged house due to downed trees/earthquake/storms/etc...) where we would have to leave. We do have BOBs with changes of clothes, some cash, some granola bars, etc....enough to get us either to my inlays house or a hotel where we could get through 24-48 hours until I could get to a Walmart, etc...to get some more clothes, toothbrushes, some food, etc.....

No, you cannot be prepared for everything. You simply pick one or two events that you feel are "likely" to happen and you prepare for those....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauk View Post
    Admittedly, I did not read this entire thread. My thought on the show is that preppers are, by nature, a somewhat paranoid group of people ~ no prepper worth their salt would go on national TV and show to the world everything they have stock piled.
    Have been my thoughts exactly all along....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought of that, too. But then some people need to show everyone how smart they are and how dumb we are. Plus I'm sure they're getting paid something to do the show.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Too bad we are all going to show up at their homes now at the end of the world coz now we know where they all live.....lol

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I thought of that, too. But then some people need to show everyone how smart they are and how dumb we are. Plus I'm sure they're getting paid something to do the show.
    I am sure they are getting paid to do it.

Did you see the one with the man who declared himself a doomsday prepper and entrepreneur? He was making and selling his own doomsday weapon/tool combo thing. I think he said it he even patented it.

In the update He said business had really picked up after national geographic filmed. I guess was even before it actually appeared on national television as the episode said new on the schedule.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I am sure they are getting paid to do it.

Did you see the one with the man who declared himself a doomsday prepper and entrepreneur? He was making and selling his own doomsday weapon/tool combo thing. I think he said it he even patented it.

In the update He said business had really picked up after national geographic filmed. I guess was even before it actually appeared on national television as the episode said new on the schedule.
    Fear sells....

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So true. Look at the money people made from the Y2K nonsense. Nothing happened there, either.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast