Frugal Village Forums banner

Doomsday Preppers - a new series

13K views 132 replies 36 participants last post by  Mr Fixit 
#1 ·
#3 ·
OK- I mis-read the title of this thread and saw "Doomsday PEPPERS" and my first thought was "Boy howdy, I'll be those are some HOT peppers!' :)

#4 ·
I will look for it. I like prepping but don't want to have some freaked out secret mission going on. Hope that is not what it is like. Don't get me wrong though I don't want every one to know what I have or don't have.

#9 ·
I think that guy was part of the special that started the series

#7 ·
For example:

House Made Out of Shipping Containers
Photo by Corey Wascinski / Sharp Entertainment

Paul Range and Gloria Haswell have constructed a house entirely out of used shipping containers (nine 2.5-ton sea containers, to be exact). Built with sustainability, efficiency, durability, and security in mind, they have built this both for the savings and their own defense.

The building can sustain 22 individuals for an estimated 20 years. In the case of an unprecedented global climate shift, the property is prepared with a wind-powered water pump, wind-powered electricity, a methane-harnessing septic system, and over 40,000 pounds of nonperishable food. :yikes: As far as security provisions from outside threats, the compound is surrounded by three layers of unstable fencing (to draw attention to intruders struggling to climb over it), and roadblocks, all underneath a 16-foot-high vantage point on top of the containers.

#11 ·
Just found it on On-demand and the guy with the swimming pool, and outfitting the fam with gas masks is on it. Just watched that segment so far. If the senario that that guy is prepping for comes to pass I just want to go in the initial days of the radiation or whatever it is.

The next segment which I have yet to watch is a lady that it says is prepping for hyper inflation. That is more up my ally.

#12 ·
I reckon if they can show some really extreme, over-the-top preppers and make em look loony, then it will discourage others from prepping a little bit for fear of looking loony.

Backwoodsgirl

#15 ·
On the segments in the episode I watched the "experts" then rated them on their preparedness and gave them tips too improve their preparedness.

At the end of the whole episode they gave the statistically likelihood of that senierio happening.

Reactions: brennasmom
#128 ·
have you noticed that the "experts" always claim there isn't as much of a likelihood "this or that" will happen? I would like to know who these "experts" are and what is likely to happen.

#18 ·
Watched it. Anything I find useful I apply to my own life, if not then I ignore it, although I file it away in case my opinion changes in the future..People have different ideas about what constitutes a measure of security and self sufficency.I personally would rather stock up food and supplies and to learn basic life skills to use in times of trouble that I had planned for, than to sit in a chair in the Social Services office filling out paperwork for government assistance which may or may not be there .

Reactions: jas and NikoSan999
#19 ·
Our radio station had a thing where they say how many days til the end of the world but they are making fun it's 317 days.

#21 ·
The last guy had alot of guns and food but they said he needed alternative water supply and more food! One guy blew off his thumb when his gun misfired and needed to get it sewn back on he's the one that bought 2 containers to build a house underground. I like the guy in CA growing 90% of his food thru gardening and raising ducks and chickens & goats. He also changes cooking oil to gas for his car.

#23 ·
One thing that popped in my mind for sure about the people living in regular cities is the fact that you will become a target for sure. The less people know about your plans the better. If it was a perfect set up and all your friends and neighbors were doing it also then maybe not so much so. More people know about what I have than I would like and they are trusted friends and family. They all just laugh and say I know where to come if SHTF. Well what I have I would share with my loved ones but it won't last all that long at all.

The guy with the swimming pool and all that going on seems like he would be a sitting duck.

I am in no way saying not to be pre-pared for anything, I store extra food and would like to do and have more but there is no way I could prepare for every eventual senario.

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#25 ·
The guy with the swimming pool and all that going on seems like he would be a sitting duck.
That is what the "experts" said.

They disagreed saying the community would all come together and work together.

That might be true but it has to be planned out a head of time. I think that is what the show said.

The swimming pool guy began teaching his neighbors and planning with his neighbors.

Reactions: jas
#24 ·
People like this have been around for a long time, they are getting more press due to the 2012 scare. I'm not going to lie, I do have a few silver coins and keep a supply of can goods, rice, and beans, candles and flashlight/batteries on hand just to be on the safe side.

#29 ·
Of course it is extreme, would anyone watch Hoarders if it was just about me decluttering my coffee table? Extreme makes for more viewers! :)

I am curious about it but haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: oheoh's momma
#30 ·
Shows like this actually scare me. Should I be doing this and is it really going to get as bad as they are predicting?? We do have a small emergency supply in case of a small disaster which is common in my area (tornado, ice storm, etc.) but after watching this last night I think it needs to be a 3 year supply!

#33 ·
Did you see/hear at the end of every episode or segment they say how likely every scenarios the people on the shows prepared for was to happen? I think it is the last few minutes of the show.

The one that stuck in my mind from the last show was the big earthquake one. It was a 1 in 50 chance each year. That really is not that much.

Reactions: MissouriAngel
#35 ·
I think there were two, I have not watched any of the other one. One may have been a repeat I didn't know how many episodes there have been already so I taped them both but usually set DVR to record only the original one or else it gets filled up with so many repeats.

#36 ·
The ones I have seen are
The 2011 Documentary special. Episode called bullets lots of bullets and the episode called I hope I am crazy

#37 ·
i'm up to date until last night, I think. I like that the show is on as it let's me see the viewpoints of others. I know I'd not be comfortable with 22 years of food for 20, but it makes me feel less silly when I have 20 bars of soap in my stockpile, for example. I still need to figure out something better for water, and I like getting the thoughts of others on how to handle it.

#39 ·
I forgot about the ppl in va. They buy alcohol to barter with cause they don't drink. Buy vodka it's good to disinfect wounds.

#43 ·
i've saw three of the epi's and can't say that I found anything useful- the shipping container house (already looking into that for me and my 2), the growing food/chickens/goat for milk - can't do that where I am currently living well containers for the food, stockpiling - i'm doing what i can when i can would love to be able to have ayrs worth of non perishables and am slowly working on foods that we eat. still looking for a place to buy some wheat. the deliveries in the middle of night so neighbors wont know what you have stockpiled (BUT you show your home, children, on national tv- but they wont know it's me or come to my house when TSHTF)- had a good laugh when ds mentioned that, then we had a lengthy discussion about how we'd be on the show without 'letting the food out of the pantry'.

I was recently asked if I wanted to place an order for #10 cans/pouches from mountainhouse- sadly i had to decline as finances aren't where i need them to be. haven't talked to friend to see if he's got his order yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.