Berkey filters iron and sulfur?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Berkey filters iron and sulfur?

Does anybody having horrible iron and sulfur problems have experience with Berkey water filters?

Did it take out the sulfur and iron?

How long did your filters last?

Which model do you have?

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, since nobody responded I reckon nobody else has experience with the horrible water we do here and using a Berkey water filter on it.

So, rainwater is going to end up being our water source. Lots and lots of barrels of rain water and a large Berkey water filter.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gotta amend that...going to make my own table top water filter. It's cheaper, I can get a bigger container and add a spigot.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been looking at the Berkey but they can't ship to Cali!! I've heard good things about it but I have no experience with it! I remember reading a post on a prepping site that talked about different water filters, if I remember where I saw it I'll post a link for you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by calimomx2 View Post
    I have been looking at the Berkey but they can't ship to Cali!! I've heard good things about it but I have no experience with it! I remember reading a post on a prepping site that talked about different water filters, if I remember where I saw it I'll post a link for you!
    I found this:

Monolithic Marketplace — The Just Water, Bucket Water Filtration System

They have instructions for making your own homemade Berkey!!!!

So, after doing a little more research, I also found out that you can use just about any ceramic filter with two food grade 5 gallon buckets and a spigot.

Now the filter from that site has charcoal in it and uses a sock to help take out particulates like dirt and grass, etc. And, I'm under the impression that it filters water faster than the Berkey does and it also has some silver impregnated into it to help fight bacteria.

If I can get two filters, instead of one, I'll get faster water and more of it.

I like the idea. The rainwater system would solve our sulfur and iron problem. We only use the well water for bathing and laundry and other cleaning.

Backwoodsgirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsgirl View Post
    I found this:

Monolithic Marketplace — The Just Water, Bucket Water Filtration System

They have instructions for making your own homemade Berkey!!!!

So, after doing a little more research, I also found out that you can use just about any ceramic filter with two food grade 5 gallon buckets and a spigot.

Now the filter from that site has charcoal in it and uses a sock to help take out particulates like dirt and grass, etc. And, I'm under the impression that it filters water faster than the Berkey does and it also has some silver impregnated into it to help fight bacteria.

If I can get two filters, instead of one, I'll get faster water and more of it.

I like the idea. The rainwater system would solve our sulfur and iron problem. We only use the well water for bathing and laundry and other cleaning.

Backwoodsgirl

This is exactly the info I read at the survival site!
    I'm really worried about water, I'm buying it every single time I'm out shopping but we have nowhere near what we would need!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found a video on youtube where this guy said that waste water treatment plants use large barrels of defoaming stuff. You can get all of the free barrels you want for free.

Then you need to wash them thoroughly with Dawn.

Then wash a second time using baking soda.

Then make sure you rinse really good and you can use them.

Look up online for a rainwater calculator.

The calculator is accurate. I had rain barrels before I moved down here and you would be surprised how much water you get from one inch of rain from the roof of a 20' x 20' carport.

We were in the middle of a drought and I had raised beds to water. I had this gutt feeling that I should go and buy a bunch of trash cans at Walmart and put them under the drip line of the carport. I got them set up like a day or two before it rained and it filled almost all of them to the top. We only got 1 inch of rain.

That 1 inch of rain saved my garden.
    Backwoodsgirl