Some grocery prices for this week..........
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Some grocery prices for this week..........

The ads came out today and we have some decent prices on some things.........one store is having a produce sale, on Thursday only, but they have been far and few between this summer. Usually, in the summer, someone is having one every month...............not this year!!

Some prices: (these are good for this area)

Green/red grapes .99 lb..............that is the cheapest I have seen them. Been running $1.49.

Canned tuna.......5 oz. can ---NOT albacore---.78 and another store .79 Only one store had a limit.

Milk ---store brand ---gallon --2.29...........that is a good price. Best I can find it usually is $2.49. Limit on this too. (think it was 4)

Bread.......what I call the YUK kind.......white or wheat......1.49..........some better stuff (12 grain) at another store was 1.25

2 lb. block of med. cheddar cheese........in a good brand too......4.29. Our GOOD block cheese-cheddar- has been running around $3 a pound. DARN.....I am already over stocked......and my freezer is full!

I thought of the other thread where we were talking about $ of apples.........saw some delicious and granny smith for .89 lb. But the expensive ones (over a buck a pound) said that they came from New Zealand. I might have to buy some granny smith for a pie but I don't eat or buy apples that much in the summer.

Still no beans or veggies on sale..........both running close to a buck a can!!

What are some of the good prices in your area?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw grapes for .99 per pound and local cherries for $1.99. I will definantly be stocking up on grapes.

Not seeing a lot of great sales around here lately. Sigh.
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well we are starting to see a few sales around here that have peaked my interest -

29 oz pears/peaches for $1 a can -
    grapes .97 lb - (can freeze these for great snacks)
    whole fryer chickens for .99lb & leg quarters for .50lb (10 lb pks)
    Jacks Pizzas - 5/$10
    Boneless Pork Loins $1.99 lb (sliced any thickness you desire)

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We also had grapes at .99. That is fab since they have been 2.99 a lb.

Cheese had been 2.99 a lb in bulk and is now 3.29 a lb.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish we could get those prices, FF.

Milk here is consistently over $4/gallon. I can't figure it out since southern MN is a big dairy area, and helloooo, Wisconsin is right next door.

Cheese here is almost never below $3/pound. Can't figure that out either, see above. I usually buy it at $4/pound on sale since regular price is around $5.59/pound. The bulk cheese that used to be $3 is now at $3.50.

We paid $1.69/pound for grapes last week and were so happy they were that cheap.

We very rarely buy bread anymore but did last week due to lack of time to bake it. We paid over $2 for a 12-count package of the icky kind of buns, not on sale.

Tuna was .89 on sale and I bought some.

The annual Blueberry Arts Festival was here last week and blueberries were $2.50/pint. This week, they're twice that.

The expensive apples here are $5/pound (honeycrisp.) Almost all the other apples are about $2.69, but red delicious is $1.69, not on sale. It's weird.

I think we'll be seeing more imported food with the drought here. I haven't heard how crops are doing in other breadbaskets like Russia. The rain we're not getting is falling somewhere, so other places may be having exceptionally good years.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why is that dairy is so expensive? I am in WI and Spirit Deer is right next door!!!! I am sure we will pay dearly in the grocery dept for this drought. I am almost sorry we dont bale and sell our hay ourselves instead of letting the neighbor pay us a tiny amount to do it. I about fell over when I saw what the drought has done to the price of hay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Apples are high here too. The cheapest are goldena and red delicous at $1.49. The prices just go up from there.
    Frugalista Mama to DD 14 & DS 10
    Crazy Boxer *Sadie*
    **Debt Free Minus the House**

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do live at the end of the road here, and we recognize the price of gas has a lot to do with our grocery prices. And we're grateful we have two grocery stores so there's competition, and both are nice, well-run stores, too. And we're grateful for the tourists we trip over all summer long who bring so much money into those two stores and help carry them through the winter each year so our stores can afford to stay open and offer decent prices to us locals.

We've found if we watch the ads locally, we can actually do better than buying at the big chain store fifty miles away or the nearest Walmart seventy miles away and we don't have to spend our gas money to get there. And our money stays in town and circulates here to support our community and our friends. So we're not really complaining too much.

We did have to buy cannoli at Gordy's in Chippewa Falls, WI, when we were there in June though. Can't get cannoli at our little stores here, so we buy it annually when we get over there. 'Tis tasty!

We've been watching the price for corn and soybeans and being all happy for our renters who farm our land in southern Minnesota. They're getting an average crop so far, but we read that 88% of the soybeans and corn have been destroyed in the US this year due to drought. Scary for us as consumers, but our renters and other farmers who are in the lucky 12% with successful crops will make a killing even with an average crop.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just returned from an unplanned trip to the 'big city' when I got a call to make a run to pick up some parts for a local business owner (well-compensated of course- hehe)...Hey, it's an hr one way.... (and it's great that people around here know that I can be 'bought' - lol)

So I stopped at Aldis: 5 pints of blueberries @ 1.49 pt
    2 lbs of fresh Bing Cherries @ 1.99 lb
    10 lbs potatoes $1.79 (I was going to pay $2.99 this evening for the same thing)
    2 pks 1 baby carrots @ .59 each

Then a jump over to the breadstore:

6 loaves Sara lee 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread @.75 loaf
    4 loaves foot long deli sub rolls for .75 for 4

Yup, some days it pays to answer the phone....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it is really interesting to see what the prices are in other parts of the country.......thanks for the postings. I know I could go online and read the ads but hearing it from the people that KNOW the good prices is better.

I missed one..............our butter has dropped below $2 a pound this week................DARN........I need another freezer. REALLY BAD! Then I could SORT the stuff better..........this 15 cu ft. is just not cutting it!! Not with my garden and hitting the sales and freezing left overs!

Wow....SD....that dairy thing would just do me in. But I guess that is the price you pay for living in the PEACEFUL STICKS.........and lord knows, there are days that I would trade places. Just not sure for how long..........

I DID have to sacrifice a little this week........for some reason this summer I am eating more ice cream, but only buy it in the 1/2 gallon size.(that isn't even close to the 1/2 gallon like 'the old days'!!) Wellllll.......there was not any of the brands that I will buy (that is what I get for being an 'ice cream snob') that were under $4............so I am trying some of the frozen greek ice cream/yogurt..............will see how that goes. And even then, it was close to $3........but I love trying new things.....and figure I can handle it for that size.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Butter has been on sale here for $1.99 several times lately.

I find it interesting to see prices elsewhere, too.

We have a 22 cf upright that's currently full of meat for the most part, a 7 cf that's full of miscellaneous non-perishables since it's a cheapo Haier and an Energy Star model so not too trustworthy even though it's new, and our 10 cf side by side freezer which is full of cheese, baking needs, and all sorts of assorted bargains. I'm feeling very fortunate! If the Haier fails, the stuff in it would keep for a few days or weeks so I'm not that worried about it. We use it for stuff like nuts, flour, and peanut butter that won't keep forever but would be okay if they have to be thawed for a while. I temporarily pull stuff out of that one to make ice for our coolers when we travel, another way it saves us money. I've been like a chipmunk all summer, storing up food for winter. I'm about done now, just waiting for a good sale on some canned goods.

We go through 2-3 gallons of milk for the two of us per week. Yes, it adds up. Milk actually hasn't gone up that much here yet, but other dairy sure has. All we can do is adjust. I'm glad we're not feeding five teenagers anymore though.

I bought a case or two of evaporated skim milk a while back for 4/$1 and we've been making ice cream with that. Yum! And cheap too. I'll be sad when it's gone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1.68 for 18ct eggs, sale price
    .68lb margarine sticks, sale price
    1.99 4lb sugar, sale price
    gal milk on sale 2.99, usually almost $4
    the other day I paid .99lb grapes, 1.99lb cherries and .99lb peaches.
    Terry

Apr grocery 169.81/217.00
    Apr coupon 23.65
    YTD grocery 849.47
    YTD coupon 252.09

New Recipe 4/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 4-16

1. clean/organize linen closet 2. organize/purge medicine cabinet 3. make at least one new recipe a month 0/12 4. learn to make 3 items from scratch 5. tame kitchen freezer 6. read To Kill A Mockingbird 7. watch Gone With The Wind 8. limit on-line game time to 30mins a day 9. write a letter monthly to MIL 10. make AND mail Christmas cards 11. repurpose 3 old items into something new 12. participate in monthly photo hunt 13. make 1 rag quilt 14. use exercise bike 4x wk 15. lose 3lbs a month 16. make work plan for camper 17. learn to back-up camper 18. participate in 1 SOTF get-together 19. complete dental work needed 20. say I Love You to loved ones daily

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our sugar has been running about that wuns...........but a store had a good price on the 10 pounder this week........whew.........for me to buy that amt. when I am not doing that much canning this summer I had best be thinking about doing some serious baking!!! Guess it keeps.........but.........

The store that is having the produce sale is tomorrow..............think I might go. If for nothing else, they have some avocados in the sale. I had just
    stocked up on grapes and cherries before I got the flyer.

I hear the $1.88 butter calling me!!! Then I will be in trouble with my freezer AND my frig. being full!!!

I even stopped at a place today to look at a freezer........it was no sale.....too high and I can get it cheaper on CL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of our stores is having a case lots sale this week.

~bun-length or jumbo franks, $1/pound
    ~pollock fillets, $19.90/10 pounds
    ~bacon, $17.90/10 pounds
    ~butter, $1.95
    ~lean hamburger, $2.69/pound
    ~frozen shoestring potatoes, .75/20 oz.
    ~cake mix, .88
    ~stuffing mix, .88
    ~boneless beef whole round tip, $2.89/pound
    ~whole pork butt roast, boneless, $1.99/pound

All the coupons have limits but the non-meat items are mostly limits of 12, which is pretty generous. Most of the meat coupons have a limit of three which is still pretty generous when it's ten pound packages.

On their regular ad:

~ice cream, vanilla, $4.99/gallon
    ~tomatoes on the vine, .99/pound
    ~baby bella mushrooms, $1.89/8 oz.
    ~blueberries, $2.89/pint
    ~grapes, $1.39/pound
    ~avocados, 3/$2
    ~chocolate milk, $4.89/gallon
    ~3-pack micro popcorn, $2.99 (WHAT?! I was going to buy some for camping, but I guess not!)

I'm not buying all that stuff but I thought the case lot prices were pretty good. I will be picking up some of that. I'll probably pick up some of the hamburger and ten pounds of bacon. The other meats I've already stocked in the freezer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Making a run tonight at 2 stores for.

grapes 99cents/lb.
    Oikos yogurt 79cents
    Barilla pasta $1
    Kiwi 4 for $1
    Iams canned dog food $1
    Split chicken breasts 99cents/lb.
    Country Crock spread $1.69 with coupon 89cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast