Frugal Village Forums banner

could your kids survive?

Tags
kids survive
1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kimmee 
#1 ·
Do you have any survival skills you can pass on to your kids? Not just survival in a catastrophic sense but also in a family crisis sense. For instance, could your kids look after themselves for a few hours if the worst happened to you and your DH. Could they last for more than a few hours if left alone? Do you have any plans on teaching them basic old fashioned skills that will enable them to look after themselves if anything did happen to you or to the world?

My kids are both grown now and they both know how to survive in the bush, they can cook, sow seeds, harvest food and drive, but I wish I had taught them how to fish. It seems like such a sensible skill to have if anything happened to the food chain. They know to boil dirty water before they drink it, they can bake bread but I doubt either of them would kill an animal to eat it.

What do you plan to teach your kids?

#2 ·
My 3 boys are all in their teens now and they would do fine on their own for up to a week if needed if Jeff and I had to be gone. Jaysn has his driver's liscence and the other 2 know how to drive and could in an emergency situation. Chris and Josh know how to hunt, gut a deer, hang it for a few days and how to butcher it. All 3 boys know how to cook, but Jaysn is the one that is getting really good at just "knowing" what foods and seasonings combine well without a cookbook now. All 3 know how to garden and to can even though Chris is my avid gardener. They all know how to fish, do laundry, use basic everyday things like vinegar, bleach and water to clean things. They are very budget minded and find the best deals. All 3 are hardworking boys who hold jobs in our community. Chris even helped our neighbor build a huge pole barn shop at the age of 13! I think the best things that my boys have going for them though is that they know who their provider is (God) and to pray about things and they have the ability and knowledge to seek out information that they may need. I've watched all of them rise to the occasion in emergency situations and I'm so proud of the young men they have become.

#3 ·
Well, I am confident that my two younger kids would do okay. They can cook, they are both good with money and even earn their own. Both know how to garden and fish (their grandpa looked after that for me) They are also both very resourceful. I do worry about my oldest. Because of his medical problems and his learning disability he has had much different experiences than the other two. But he is a smoozer (is that a word) so I think he would probably find other ways to survive with out us.

#4 ·
I have 4 yeenagers. Two of my childern would survive . Two would not. My daughter Heather can cook,fish,hunt,bake and alot of other things. She has always watched and listened.Zach would make it because he has done the same but not as much. But Liz and Aja wouldn't survive a few days. Not unless there are men and makeup involved.lol:toothy:

#5 ·
Both of my kids could survive. However I feel my dd at 11 could handle it better than my ds at 16. They have both lived on a farm since birth so they do know basic skills. I would hate to leave them but I feel that a month could pass and they would be ok.

#6 ·
Daniel could survive for a few days if need be. He can cook, bake, do laundry, and is fairly handy when it comes to fixing things. He also holds small parttime jobs in the community. Helps out where needed and always uses his head. But knowing him, he'd call a grandparent to come help him out, at 14 he's still a bit of a mommas boy.

#7 ·
MIne know how to fix the Playstation and Play it!!

Actually , you've given me a great knew topic to discuss with them. I know they could survive in our house for a month (because it is stocked for one month with everything - food , enough clothes for a month without washing, toiletries, animal food- I have always prepared things for them incase something happened to me) but left to their own I don't think they would even try any of the skills I have tried to teach them. :( So - New project!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.