cooking whole squash in pressure cooker
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default cooking whole squash in pressure cooker

I heard somewhere that you can actually cook a whole pumpkin or squash in the pressure cooker.

I want to do this. But I can not find the details (time and #)of using the pressure cooker. Does anyone know how long to let it pressure cook and at what pressure?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmm.... since no one responded to my post... I thought I would respond to myself.

I cooked three medium size squash and pumpkin in my pressure cooker. They turned out perfect.
    Soo.... I turned right around and cooked four HUGE sweet potatoes in it. Awesome.
    You know what I liked the best about this? It cooked so well, that to make pie - I hardly had to puree the vegetable because it was so soft.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok so now more deets are needed here little missy! I've never done this but I'm VERY interested in giving it a go!
    How easily did the skin seperate from the flesh once cooked or was everything falling apart into a pile of mush? Also, how long did you cook the 4 sweet potatoes and how long for the one big squash, what temp was the stove at, how much liquid did you add to the pot for these two 'recipes' etc...
    TIA!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by momof2boys2005 View Post
    How easily did the skin seperate from the flesh once cooked or was everything falling apart into a pile of mush? Also, how long did you cook the 4 sweet potatoes and how long for the one big squash, what temp was the stove at, how much liquid did you add to the pot for these two 'recipes' etc...
    TIA!!!!!!!!
    Yes, The skin did seperate from the flesh once cooked and YES it did fall into a pile of mush.

first of all, I think I cooked my squash to long. So I need to go back and try this again. I think that was the reason it fell into a pile of mush.
    There was a small portion of some of my squash that did not just turn to mush, and still had some sustainability to its shape (sorry - poor english in words). so, I gently pulled it open (even though it gave way very easily), and then I scooped out all the squash with a spoon.

In the pasted, I have peeled my squash and then boiled the squash with as little water as I could possibly do - even though it ended up being a lot of water. And unfortunately, in the process sometimes the bottom of the pan burned what was touching the bottom. And in the end, when I go to utilize my pumpkin/squash, it is quite water logged.

In this method, I used enough water to cover the squash in the pot, BUT, I learned that squash bob in water, so I wonder if one can actually do a few inches of water with the squash. I think that is one reason it cooked longer than I wanted (because I was trying to get the water to come to a boil to build the pressure).

With this method, I did not burn any of the squash. And the squash was not extremely water logged. When it is not water logged, I did not have to wonder or try to fix the liquid ration (milk to squash when making pumpkin souffle or pie. This helped immensely.

Next time I cook squash this way, if i can eliminate the extra "mushiness" (chances are, because of the length of time I cooked it), then this would be an excellent way to cook the squash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I eat a lot of winter squash. First step is to wash it. Cutting board and heavy knife. The easiest way for me is to cut it in half or quarters. Take out the inner part with the seeds. Cut the squash into smaller chunks and put in my steamer. Takes about 20 -25 minutes. Let it cool off, and then use a spoon to scoop it out, or a knife and take the outside rind off. I mash it in a flat pan so it can finish cooling. I bag it off into 1 cup servings for myself. ( I am the only one in this house who likes squash. ) Freeze it. When I want some, I remove it from the bag, put on a plate and microwave 1 minute. I like to use a little real butter in slivers on top of the squash before I start the microwave.
    I also have used my pot with the steamer in it with about 2 inches of water in the bottom part. Squash or pumpkin can be done this way. Same prep as above. This way the squash is not soggy at all. Some people use a little water in a flat pan in the oven. I have not done it this way.

Presssure cooking is not needed. You only need to soften it up enough to get the outside rind off. Then when you do that, you can put it in a steamer to finish it up or warm it up. Or a double boiler using the top pot with a solid bottom. Or put it in a pan in the oven for a short time. Or the microwave like I do

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just did 3 pint for this freezer this afternoon. 2/acorn & 1 butternut. I just rinsed the outside, cut in half, scoop seeds out, place 2 halves in glass pie plate, microwave about 12 minutes with h2o covering bottom of plate & cover with sahran wrap, take out, cool, scoop out, smash with fork, sprinkle with Fresh Fruit, put in pint containers & freeze. My Aldi's didn't have canned pumpkin, so I will be using my squash as a substitute. YUM!
    Ali

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't cut my acorn squash before cooking. I stab it with a knife like a potato and nuke it or put it in the oven. I then cut it in half and take the seeds out and eat the whole thing plain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my grams does, lol.. but i didn't dare to taste this... how's the taste?