Anyone Use A Pressure Cooker?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone Use A Pressure Cooker?

I was given one as a gift a few years ago, and other than pre-cooking deer ribs or other tougher meats, I don't use it much. Was wondering if anyone here uses one on a regular basis to cook meals. Would love to have some good (not fancy) recipes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

cook your beans in it. Never buy canned beans again. Just get the dry ones in bulk, cook them up and freeze them. they take no time at all and you always have a very frugal protien source in your freezer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm plum skeered of pressure cookers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalWitch View Post
    I'm plum skeered of pressure cookers
    LOL, I think I am to to be honest. I remember them blowing up a few times in my mom's kitchen. I don't think we ever really got all of the tomatoes off the kitchen ceiling the last time it happened, LOL. I'm thinking though, if I had a tried and true recipe with detailed instructions, I may be able to muster up enough nerve to actually cook a meal in the thing.

Right now, I'm just using the pot itself to cook soups and stews. It's wonderful to use to take a soup or stew to a potluck since the lid locks on and there is no spillage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to learn how to cook beans in the pressure cooker. I tried a few weeks a go, but the foam from the beans clogged the steam vent so I turned it off. Only after a few minutes of cooking, the beans were mostly cooked.
    I like the idea of cooking up a bunch & putting them in the freezer.
    The only thing we cook now in the pressure cooker is what DH actually cooks himself. My mom taught him how to use it to cook venison roast in & it comes out very nice. Very easy too. He fixes that for his family when they come over for dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by redmaples View Post
    I want to learn how to cook beans in the pressure cooker. I tried a few weeks a go, but the foam from the beans clogged the steam vent so I turned it off. Only after a few minutes of cooking, the beans were mostly cooked.
    I like the idea of cooking up a bunch & putting them in the freezer.
    The only thing we cook now in the pressure cooker is what DH actually cooks himself. My mom taught him how to use it to cook venison roast in & it comes out very nice. Very easy too. He fixes that for his family when they come over for dinner.
    Hubby swears he is gonna learn to use this one to cook a venison roast and I'm like The deer ribs only take a few mere minutes to tenderize, but I would think a whole roast would take more time. The longer that thing is on the burner, the more nervous I get. LOL, I won't let dd anywhere near the kitchen and I stand there ready to . Dh thinks I'm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hear ya Carolyn! If you think a fat gal cannot run, tell me somebody's using a pressure cooker in my general vicinity, you'll see just how fast this lard can shift gears.

Registered User duckduckgoose007's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We were given one awhile back, but I am too scared to use it.

I do not have a book of instructions. It is a "Presto"

Another "Chicken" in the group! LoL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I have one and cookbooks too but I don't use it. I did read somewhere that adding a little oil to the beans would prevent the foam. Never tried it though. I used to use it to cook roast beef and bbq pork. Now I use my crockpot.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have one and I LOVE IT!!! I've never had a blowup. Been using one for 10+ years. I used it today to make Homemade Chili. Than canned 10 Quarts in the pressure cooker.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by FrugalWitch View Post
    I hear ya Carolyn! If you think a fat gal cannot run, tell me somebody's using a pressure cooker in my general vicinity, you'll see just how fast this lard can shift gears.
    Fruglwitch, you are so funny.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've heard all the explosion stories so I'm a bit scared to try as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well, i just finished a venison roast in the pressure cooker. The first time on my own.
    Usually it's DH's job, but I decided to do something nice for him since he has been out all day hunting. with guidance from my mom i cooked it without blowing anything up. Haven't taken the lid off yet, it's still cooling. It's quite easy if you know what you're doing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My friend blew one up once, but I think they blow up because people aren't using common sense with them. When they are hot, there is a lot of pressure in them....hence...'pressure' cooker. So, wait until they are cool before opening them. They won't open on their own. My dad used to put it in the sink and run water on it to cool it down faster, but I just leave it on the stove to cool normally and have never had one do anything but over cook food.. Yes, oil reduces the starch foam from beans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I have one and I LOVE IT!!! I've never had a blowup. Been using one for 10+ years. I used it today to make Homemade Chili. Than canned 10 Quarts in the pressure cooker.
    Hi Cookie,

Well then, maybe you could share a few of your recipes. I would rather me be the one to try it out than dh, since he cooks everything on high, walks out of the kitchen and sometimes out of the house when he cooks! He drives me crazy. One time, he had put a pot of tea on while I ran into town and walked outside to gas up the lawn mower. When I got back and walked into the kitchen, I heard something frying. It was the tea bags! They would have burst into flames if I hadn't come in when I did. I asked him when he put the tea on and he couldn't remember. I had to throw the pot away! LOL, I don't want a pressure cooker lid and a deer roast embedded into my kitchen ceiling! He is a wonderful outdoor cook with a grill, smoker, propane cooker and pot or fryer, but his indoor cooking skills need vast improvement.

He asked me the other day where the pressure cooker was and I changed the subject, LOL. I think he's wanting to cook a venison roast for Christmas dinner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast