Cable Tv Question
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cable Tv Question

I just talked to my local cable company (Charter).
    Can someone explain to me the changes that will take effect in 2009 with the analog/digital signals?
    Was Charter telling me the truth about everyone having to switch over to digital cable? I was under the impression everyone that was getting cable (even basic cable) wouldn't have to worry about the signals.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The signals that are released by the cable company through your hookup are considered analog signals. This means that you could get some channels without a cable box as long as your TV had "rabbit ears" or some other sort of antenna. When the change over to digital cable happens, that means you will no longer receive any channels in that manner. People with TVs that have antennas will have to purchase a converter box in order to receive channels.

The quality of the channels will also improve.

(Now either a) I explained that right and I'm not as smart as I thought I was or b) I'm a goofball and got it really wrong. I'm willing to bet it's b).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How will I be affected by the Digital Transition?

• As a Charter residential or business customer, weíve got you covered. We offer you the best solution for the Digital Transition.
    • If your TV is connected to Charter Cable or Charter Digital Cable, you can sit back and relax, you donít have to do anything!
    • Have analog TVs that arenít connected to Charter yet? No problem. We have solutions for you. A Charter technician can get your TVs properly connected to Charter Ė often no receiver box is needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As I understand it, my cable company (Time Warner) is saying that anyone with a cable hook-up (not just digital) will be fine February, 2009. If someone (such as us) has basic/standard analog cable, we will not need to switch to digital because the feed will automatically go digital. Those who don't have any cable service are the ones that will need to buy a converter box to receive the new digital feeds.

--Michelle
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $35,550.71

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we got the converter box and jase rigged up a antenna and we have clearer picture than before with just the antenna. if u change ur mind about cable and want to do without then u will have to get a converter box, if u dont then u should be good with the cable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have a TV that is "cable ready" you WILL NOT NEED A CONVERTER BOX!!!!!!

Right now a signal is sent out analogly (is that a word?). It can get interupted by trees, weather, other feedback, etc....

Starting in 2009 all signals will be sent out digitally. So, if you don't have cable (like us) and you can kind of sort of get a picture, but not very well (NBC in my house), that picture will magically become clear as a bell ~ provided you have a cable ready TV (these TV's are equipped to accept a digital signal). Nearly all TV's bought in recent years are cable ready.

If you have an older TV that is not cable ready (like ours) you will either need to buy a converter box or get a new TV ~ we will be getting a new TV because ours is on its last legs anyway....

The cable companies are telling everyone that they need to purchase their cable service because well...that's the product they serve.

I'm looking for a link that will back up my information....I'll be back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a link to the FCC website explaining the information in futher detail.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have digital Direct TV already and we don't have to do anything
    Nancy