Frugal Village Forums banner

Grocery Budget?

3K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  savvy_sniper 
#1 ·
Hi. Just wondering what a decent amount for groceries a month including household items would be for a family of 5...two adults, 2 preschoolers, and a brand spankin new baby? I am breastfeeding with baby so no need to include formula etc...

#2 ·
We're a family of 4 ( 2 teenagers )
We are all meat/potato eaters
I am doing $150.00 every 2 weeks or $300.00 a month now.
( this includes paper and beauty/health products but not pet )

Reactions: jolenegreen2
#4 ·
OH WOW! This is great! And with 2 teenagers? Tell me they are boys please! LOL
Would u mind sharing tips with me or meal plans? how do u do it?

#5 ·
It depends on what all you include in your budget, but ours is for everything (cleaners, food, pet food/supplies, prescriptions, etc) and is $400 for 2 adults, 2 children (9 and 5 yrs old), 5 dogs, and 3 cats.

#6 ·
I would say $400. We are a family of 3 (plus 2 dogs, a cat, and fish) and we usually spend about $300 to $350. This month DD is at her dad's so we are doing less groceries but trying to get some stockpile too with the difference.

#7 ·
We budget $70 a week, which includes almost everything. I also budget an extra $25 a month for cleaning supplies, but usually this will be used to stock up on diapers, etc. We are a family of 5 - me, dh, ds who is 10, dd is almost 2 and ds who is 8 months old. We have cut the shopping down to every 2 weeks and are hoping in the next month or so to get it to where we shop for the whole month (with only having to buy milk and fresh fruit once a week). This not only helps in the gas saving department but also if we don't go to a store we can't spend money. I shop at Aldi's, Sam's, Wally world and I try to use coupons for things when I can. I never pay full price for anything - if I have to I buy generic.

#9 ·
We spend about $100-$125/week for two adults, one child and a cat, but that includes health products plus I buy local/organic as much as my budget allows.

#10 ·
After reading some of these responses I fel like I am spending too much! :) I spend anywhere from 300-400 monthly and its is just me, hubby and 2 dogs. I do stockpile certain things though. I buy them when they are on sale and have a coupon. I have at least 6 things of A-1 for example. lol.

#11 ·
We spend probably between 400-500 a month for total shopping for the 6 beating hearts in the house: 2 adults, 2 kids (6 and 3) and 2 cats. (that udes gas, clothes, and other extraneous stuff)

I found that some of the best meals for kids can be the easiest and cheapest to make:
Lasagna which can be made with or without meat. You can use hamburger, ground turkey, ground pork..whatever is on sale. Also, one tray of lasagna can last for more than one meal. You can also make a veggie lasagna. I have made a mexican lasagna. And it freezes well. Does well to take to work for lunch.

You can make tacos go farther by adding a can of refried beans to them, bulks up the meat mixture, adds flavor and also adds more protein.

Try making your own pizza at home. It is really easy to make dough and my kids love helping out making it (it is a good lesson with numbers, fractions, etc.) and then they like seeing how it rises. Then you can put whatever you want on it. Leftover chicken and BBQ sauce for a BBQ pizza. It is cheaper than ordering out, and more fun for the family.

I also buy a lot of kid friendly stuff in bulk at wholesale places like BJs or Sams (BJs Wholesale for me). Like Macaroni and Cheese. If you buy the store brands, it is a lot cheeper.

My hubby and I found that it was worth it for us to purchase a membership in a wholesale club because the diapers were cheaper, the cat/dog food was cheaper, even beauty supplies were less. I get HUGE bottles of BJs brand shampoo for $5 a bottle. It lasts me for months. Plus, BJs has both their own coupons and will honor other coupons.

#13 ·
Your grocery budget will depend where you live.

I laugh when I see people using ground turkey or chicken as a "frugal" meal, as here we pay over $8/lb(up to 12!). Pultry here is a luxury item.

I *was* getting away with $300-400/mo to feed 2 adults, 1 teen boy, one preteen girl, one elementary girl, one preschool girl and 3-4 daycare kids. HOWEVER, the prices are now climbing non stop. Fruit is up $1/lb. Milk $1+ per 4L, I'm scared to guess how much meat is up. So my budget has increased, the best I've been able to do lately is $600-700/mo. It HURTS! But, I won't let my kids go hungry. They each get one request for a snack item(only if on sale when I go). Otherwise it's a fairly strict menu plan.

Compared to neighbors, they easily spend double that, and I get a fair amount of organics, they don't, they get alot of brand name prepared and processed foods. Not alot of that enters my home.

I can't afford to shop several stores anymore, as any savings gets eaten up by gas. Approx $5.50/gallon. We don't get much for coupons here, and there's never double coupon days. So we do what we can. the reality is, we need to eat, so I just trim where I can, adjust the budget and try not to stress.

#14 ·
I just blogged about this not too long ago.

I had stopped "budgeting" my groceries for the last couple of months. (just being lazy) I decided that I needed to stop that and sat down to work things out.

I have decided to ease myself back into it slowly, so I have 350 for groceries and 50 for paper and pets for the month of July.

I used to have 350 for everything, but wanted to give myself a bit of room to get back into the swing of things.

My family consists of Sweetie, myself, an 18 year old boy, a 9 year old boy, a 7 year old girl, a lab mix pooch, two cats and three hamsters. We also have a friend of 18 year old's staying with us this month, so I think $350 will do well.

I like to look up what the USDA thinks the a family should spend. The latest figures they have are for April 2008, and for my family (not including our visitor), I should be spending $694.07 on just groceries! :yikes: Beleive me, even when I was not tracking, I was no where near that amount!

Here is the link to the USDA website, if anyone is interested:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2008/CostofFoodApr08.pdf

#15 ·
I've got mine to a bout $500 a month. $400 once a month for meat and to stock the pantry. then $100 for the perishables like milk and fruits and vegs.

we've got 5, 2 adults, three kids (7, 5, and 2ish)

#17 ·
Family of 12 (2 are infants) and we spend $400 - 600 a month. I budget $400 but when we get a little extra funds I spend it on stockpile items. That includes diapers, formula and toiletries. I use coupons, buy basics, shop loss leaders and we do have Costco and Sams Club memberships (for diapers, formula and gas this more than pays for membership fees)

#18 ·
I realize it is scary but once you start looking at your flyers, cutting coupons and meal planning you can totally do it. Look at your pantry and see if you need something.

#19 ·
BlessedbyGod-While that is a tight budget your kids are small and can't eat that much. Heres a few suggestions

-Pray for the wisdom to make good decisions for your family and that you will make the most of his assets he gives you.

-Make sure you inventory and meal plan to avoid waste.

-Carbs like rice and noodles will have to be mainstays. Don't forget to do beans.

-next year if possible grow a garden. And can??
-See if you qualify for assistance.
-learn to cook if you don't. Allrecipes.com and spam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typedspam! It is better fried than typed housewife.
and great sites. The recipes collection here on this site is great.
-learn to coupon. Ask people for them if you don't get the paper.
-get a bread maker. or find a discount bread store. Trade w/ friends.
-Start a stockpile when you find great deals.
Good luck.

#20 ·
Stocking up when you find things are sale (a little at a time) will help your bottom line. Check around and see if you have any grocery salvage stores in your area. I recently found several in my area.

Kraft WHOLE GRAIN Mac & Cheese - 44 cents
Name Brand High priced cereal - 99 cents
1 lb Yeast (exp 2011) - $1.50 (for baking bread/put in freezer)
Lg Cans Alpo Dog Food - 79 cents
Sm Cans Alpo Dog Food - 49 cents

You never know what they will have. Not everything is a good price. You have to know your prices, check expiration dates, etc. When you do find a deal, you need to buy as much as you can afford at that time. Because it WON'T be there when you go back.

This has really helped to build my stockpile on top of buying loss leaders, cooking from scratch, buying in bulk (rice, sugar, beans), using coupons, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.