Frugal Village Forums banner

Does your cell phone go with you everywhere you go?

Tags
cell phone
6K views 61 replies 61 participants last post by  imagine 
#1 ·
We don't have a cell phone. However it seems everywhere I go, someone is talking on a cell phone.

Does yours go with you everywhere you go?

#2 ·
Each of us has our own (myself, DH, DD-15 and DS-13). Between the four of us we always have at least one or two, if not all four of them.

I am always misplacing mine and am the one most likely to have to borrow one from either DH or the kids.

#3 ·
We have one that both of us share, but actually neither of us use it very much. I don't like to talk on the phone. We got it for emergency use when I was traveling a long distance to school each day. I carry it in my purse, but it's usually turned off.

#55 ·
We have one that both of us share, but actually neither of us use it very much. I don't like to talk on the phone. We got it for emergency use when I was traveling a long distance to school each day. I carry it in my purse, but it's usually turned off.
This the way it is for us also. Only when out for
emergencies. Other than that it's off.

#4 · (Edited)
We have 4 (and are going to be adding #5). With us all on the go like we are, especially with my dd in college, I just feel better with them. I want to be easy to reach. I do turn it to silent at work, but check it at lunch, and then of course it goes off at church. I don't actually call that much from it though....usually it is job related (when I monitor a bus, it is so much easier to call the school to say we are having a problem such as no one home for a child...so that it is addressed before we arrive back. We have also had a medical emergency which I was able to reach a parent before the driver could get someone at the office via radio). It is a comfort thing for me.

I just wanted to add that it does bother me that some don't ever hang them up...I know some that are on theirs constantly....one will even talk on hers while in the bathroom....yuck!

#5 ·
Hubby and i do have them.He has his for buisness calls. I use mine when im out, we live in the country, so during the winter they are good to have. Our 2 daughters 17 and 13 do not have one.I know where they are at all times and they have to ask me something, they can wait till i get home. One thing i hate is when im in a resturant having a nice dinner and phones are going off.Plus at the grocery store and people are talking away and not moving.

#6 ·
I never seem to know where mine is and quite honestly...

I am thinking of getting rid of it at my renewal in Dec. (after having one for 14 years)...I tell myself, we DID survive prior to cell phones (and many other things). Take care and God bless.

#8 ·
We all have one at are house. So that makes 5. The only person who had one for years was my DH and that was for work. I got a plan when my oldest started high school. She was on the softball team and it just seemed like the right time for her to carry one. Since then we have all got one. Everyone is running so many directions it is the easiest way to keep track when something unexpected comes up. Some of the rules we have are that if for any reason a phone is confiscated at school I am not going to go get it (the principal sets up an appt with a parent if you want it back). If my kids are not old enough (they should be) to respect the school rules they do not deserve one. They also do not use them when we are out to dinner, spending time together, etc. I keep mine in my purse on silent at work and check it on breaks and at lunch. The girls can all reach there father at anytime because the type of work he does his cell phone is always on and ringing. I have to admit that it feels like they have become necessities, you get so use to the convience.

#11 ·
Mine goes EVERYWHERE with me. I am a gadget geek and it really helps me to keep in touch with everyone. I text all the time and it's good to have, because I travel around a lot in the week with my 4 kids, so I'm always want it for a safety reason too.

#12 ·
I take it, grudgingly, I hate them, I think they are the silliest things ever invented. I have a tracfone, there are rules for calling my phone and I only let certain people have the phone number. And I hate texting. My husband had to be available 24/7 for 10 years with his work and no one, unless they are a doctor or the president or something needs to be available 24/7.

Sorry, I've almost been run over too many times by people talking on their cellphones. I was almost involved in 2 accidents that happened at the same time right next to me and everyone involved was talking on a stupid phone. Liked to scared me to death! I have now talking to honking obnoxiously at people talking on the cellphones and failing to turn the corner, stop at stop signs and assorted other stuff. I scare a lady so bad a few months ago she flung her phone into the windshield....why you ask, because she turned left in front of me and I had to slam on my brakes to avoid her.

I've also been run over by people talking on them in the grocery stores.

Sorry for the rant!

#13 ·
I have one and DH has one on our plan and a blackberry for work. I often forget mine at home or forget to charge it. DH BB for work a bit because it has push to talk, which I happen to find one of the most annoying technologies in the entire world.

#14 ·
yep, I don't talk on it much but I take it with me in case of emeregency.

#16 ·
Dh and I both have them (no land line at home) and yes, they go everywhere with us.

We don't talk on them a lot...neither of us are "phone people"... We also get VERY annoyed with people who talk while driving...it is DANGEROUS!!! And inconsiderate!!

#18 ·
All 4 of us have a cell phone.....dh's is for work and since he is "on call" 24/7 his is with him always!! If we are all together I usually leave mine at home otherwise it is with me. The kids always have their phones with them!!

#21 ·
I live alone and I take my cell phone with me when I'm out on the property, feeding the chickens, etc. If I fell on the ice I could call a neighbor for help. When I get in the truck I usually forget it and my kids are always mad at me.:crackup:

#22 ·
Mine does. It is my emergency contact number. If either child is hurt at school, they call my cell phone. It's also my alarm clock, my calculator and my organizer.

In December, we're reverting to Pay as You Go. They'll be strictly for emergency use. We have unlimited long distance on our home phone, so the only time I use my cell phone now is to call DH when I'm at the grocery store.

#25 ·
I have one. I have internet and if I am home and online the school wouldn't be able to get through since I have dial up. I keep it with me to and from work, it's a fairly long trip. I can't use it at work, but there is a phone there anyhow should I need to be reached. I take it on trips 'just in case'. I keep it on vibrate so I don't annoy anyone with that. I don't text because it would cost me .25 a text and if I want to talk to you I want to TALK to you.
The strangest cell-phone behavior I have seen is this "Blue Tool" guy who shops at the store I work at. Every time he comes in he's got that gadget on his ear, even though he's not talking, very self-important and android looking. I took my daughter to his and his wife's house for Trick or Treating and he was even walking around the house wearing it, not talking on it. Just very strange.

#26 · (Edited)
My entire family has one ~ including my 85 yo Mom.

Most everyone uses them as their primary phone. We don't because for some reason, DH's Mom (who has Alzheimer's) knows when we call her on one and won't talk to us. I don't get it either.

Eventually, we will use them as our only phone, too.

Yes, they go everywhere with us :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.