what to do with used cat litter...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default what to do with used cat litter...

it seems that the bulk of my trash is used cat litter...we use the clumping kind and i scoop it out every morning into a 'wal-mart' bag and throw away....

there has to be a better way... can you flush this stuff ? i know that you should never put feces in a composting pile coz they can attract rats and varmits..... alot of this stuff is just clumped urine... (i have 2 cats)... anyone have any ideas...what do you 'pet-parents' do with yours ???

Registered User writtenonmybody's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Honestly, I wouldn't put it down the toilet. I've heard too many times about having problems with clogging after doing that. Friend is a plumber.

maybe you could just train your cat to actually use the toilet and get rid of the litter box all together? seriously, I know someone who did it. There are books on it and here is a link for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I honestly don't know of a better way. We've always used the clumping and scoopable litter and when we lived within the city limits putting it in the trash was the only way. While they do make "flushable" litter it's still....cat litter that has clay in it, which can turn into a gooey mass. IMO I never flushed it just for that reason, I always wondered what the long turn effects on the pipes would be.

Now that we live in the country and either burn our trash or have to haul it to the dump, I still have to bag it and keep it in a can that's covered to haul it away. If it gets wet from the rain or anything it becomes one big solid sticky mess, not to mention stinky, so it must remain covered. We've tried burning it, that just melted the clay into a big clump and made it difficult for everything else to burn. We've tried scattering it around the edges of the property and again...when it rained it turned into a gooey mess. We've had to cover it all with dirt because if you walked into it you stuck to it and would have it caked up all on your shows like mud.

Maybe someone may have some suggestions for you, but as far as I know throwing it in the trash may be the only solution. Just whatever you do, don't scatter it in your yard or anything because it will turn into a muddy, clay mess.
    Last edited by TexasPeanut; 01-28-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i wonder if i could dig a hole and bury it... (hey- it's what the cat would have done.... minus the clumping litter of course)....

Registered User writtenonmybody's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did read about people doing that, I also read something about there is a specific compost bin/machine for pets but I couldn't find it when I looked for it right now. Search it on google and see what others are doing. If you're going to bury it I would probably make sure it's not around any garden, flowers, or area where kids play for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The compost bin thingy you might be referring to is called the doggie doolie. It is more of an in ground septic system.

Cat waste and dog waste are biohazards. The only safe things to do with it is to dispose of it.

Most cat liters are not flushable but there are some that are. You might look into them.

This guide to choosing litter names several flushable types of litter.
    http://www.petco.com/Shop/ShoppingGu...deID=4&nav=288

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never knew there was flushable litter! I'm going to look into that. I usually just put it in the garbage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

so i read that feline pine is flushable and natural...but then someone stated why do you want to waste 1.6 gallons of water to dispose of it...(i can't win)...

i also read that if you did a deep enough hole (at least 1 ft or deeper)and continually cover it in layers...it will break down (being a clay base) and as long as it isn't filled with perfumes and lots of other additives....but like someone said don't put it anywhere near food growing plots or water sources...i guess as long as they are inside cats they aren't subjected to the possibility of toxoplasmosis (sp?) and that is the big problem with burying the waste..there is all kinds of info on the net on that stuff....

i also found that alot of clay litters are 'mined' and it is extremely harmful to the environment and planet...so now i get to feel bad about that....

sometimes i swear it feel better to remain 'ignorant' and keep you head buried in the sand....haha
    Last edited by sabrelvssammy; 01-28-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo...and i am ocd

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I read this thread as "What do I do with used cat?" For a moment I was outraged!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we live out in the country and the only thing we've found to do with it is to spread some of it along the neighbor's fence line (he asked us to) because it keeps down the weeds. The fence is located down through the woods and it is difficult to get to it to be cutting weeds and brambles down during the year. It only take so much though, and then we just have to put it in the trash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

oh that's good....'used cat..' however...now that you mention it...i do have a 'used husband' that i need to know what to do with... hahaha

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whatever you do, do not flush the cat litter down the toilet...it'll clog it up quicker than *.%&...you get my drift . I upon the advise of many great people here at FV switched to clumping cat litter and started the job of sifting (have managed to save a bunch on the cost of litter TYVM). I sift every three days and I have two cats, this works for me since I use the kind with baking soda in it to avoid the cat box smell.

Prior to switching to clumping I would dump the cat box litter in our unpaved driveway during the Winter (helps with traction) and during non-snowy weather I had a special tree I dumped it by. Eventually the rain would get rid of it for me.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny : $11.63
    Change : $66.20

Grocery Challenge:
    Grocery $400 avg. per month: $122.58/$400 April
    Running Total: $1,243.92

2014 Coupon Savings Challenge:
    $312.47

Savings Challenge: $/$3,000 to be put into other acct. when goal is met

2014 Fling Challenge: 63/2014
    20 Wishes Challenge: 10/24
    2014 Backwards 52 week Christmas Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
    To date: $637.00 - $53.84 = $583.16

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use Feline Pine or a Horse bedding called Woody Pet.
    They are pretty much the same thing, a compressed sawdust pellet. The Woody Pet is much cheaper, but you have to get it at a farm type store (Rural King) I think the bags are 30# for around $5 vs. Feline Pine is 7# for $3.52 at Wal-Mart.

You scoop the “solids” out and flush them. The liquids absorb and turn the pellets into fine sawdust.

I have a sifting cat box, I remove the solids every morning and flush when I go potty TMI…. (To save a flush) then twice a week I sift the sawdust out and add more pellets. We dump the saw dust in the woods. I would think you could probably dump the sawdust around non edible plants. I’m not sure if the ammonia from the urine would/could harm plants. I wouldn’t think so, but I wouldn’t try it on a favorite plant to start with.

I have one cat and I use around 14# per month

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Feline Pine!!!!! Feline Pine!!!! Cat say enough about it. Flush the poops daily. When you empty the box at the end of the week/month you can safely compost the remains and use it later on your non food gardens. Best pet product out there!

I live in Johannesburg, South Africa but am in the process of immigrating to Melbourne Australia
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only used litter when mine were kittens and then they went outside into the garden. Just make sure a window is open.