Substitute for cream cheese?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Substitute for cream cheese?

I would like to make a bread pudding recipe I found online. I have all the ingredients except for the 8 oz cream cheese and 1 cup half and half. I do have skim milk and vanilla yogurt in the fridge. Will I be able to use my skim milk and vanilla yogurt in some way to create this dish? I also have 2 vanilla pudding cups (individual sized) in case these will help with this recipe. I might even have about 1/4 cup or so of sour cream in the fridge. I might be grasping at straws here.... The reason I want to make this recipe today is that I have a 1/2 loaf of very hard Italian bread sitting on my kitchen counter and this would be a great recipe to use it up without having to toss food out. Any and all creative advice would be great .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a couple I found. I haven't tried them, but they look pretty good.
    I love this website for substitutions....
    http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Common-S...ns/Detail.aspx
    This one is from here.....hope these help!
    1 cup pureed cottage cheese OR 1 cup plain yogurt, strained overnight in a cheesecloth

for each cup of cream cheese needed, substitute one cup dry low-fat cottage cheese blended with four tablespoons of margarine and a few tablespoons of skim milk.

This one comes from the cook book Clean Eating. It is suppose to have the same consistency and very close in taste to cream cheese. It has much less fat and higher protein than cream cheese.

You'll need:

1 Tub of low-fat plain yogurt
    Cheese cloth (you can find this on the same aisle as parchment paper)
    colander to drain
    mixing bowl

Place the colander over the mixing bowl. Wet the cheese cloth and drape over the colander. Dump the yogurt onto the cheese cloth so that the yogurt can drain through the cloth. Leave overnight in the fridge.

The next morning put only the cheese left in the cheese cloth in a tupperware bowl to store. Discard the liquid left in mixing bowl.

You can eat it straight (like cream cheese) and you can also mix spinach and other flavors into it for a great dip.

cream cheese substitute

Put 1/2 cup cottage cheese in food processer.
    - Process until creamy.
    - Store in fridge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great suggestions already given.

FYI moment.... Anytime you need a substitute for ingredients, check out Cook's Thesaurus - http://www.foodsubs.com/ It's a gold mine of information.

I use drained homemade kefir for cream cheese on a regular basis, but that's me with my odd-ball ingredients. For half & half I use a double or triple strength of my favorite milk replacement powder - Morning Moo's. I've always used double-strength Morning Moo's when a recipe calls for evaporated milk and evaporated milk is a common replacement for half & half.

Here's what Cook's Thesaurus says about cream cheese:

Substitutes: Neufchâtel (lower in fat and moister than regular cream cheese) OR equal parts ricotta and yogurt OR soy cream cheese OR tofu (use 3/4 cup tofu + 1/4 cup margarine + 1 tablespoon lemon juice to replace one cup cream cheese). OR yogurt cheese (usually lower in fat than cream cheese) OR buttermilk cheese (usually lower in fat than cream cheese) OR tofu cream cheese To make your own: Combine 2 cups milk and 2 cups whipping cream and heat the mixture in a double boiler (not aluminum or cast iron) until it's about 90ºF (32ºC). Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons cultured buttermilk, cover, and let rest in a warm place for one or two days until it has the consistency of yogurt. Pour the mixture through a colander lined with butter muslin (or several layers of cheesecloth) and drain for several minutes. Replace the muslin or cheesecloth and nest the colander in a deep bowl, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and put the bowl into the refrigerator and let it continue to drain for a day or so until the cream cheese has the desired consistency. Add salt to taste.

half & half: Substitutes: equal parts cream and milk OR evaporated milk OR 7/8 C milk + 1 ½ tablespoons butter or margarine

Inactive
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd strain the yogurt through cheesecloth and mix it with one of the vanilla pudding cups. That normally wouldn't work, but for bread pudding, I think it would be quite nice/tasty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mix the sour cream with tsp. Crisco one cup of pudding and a tabelspoon skim milk

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make kefir cheese too that I am using instead of cream cheese - so much better for you. You can do the same with yogurt but you don't have quite enough. I myself would cube the bread, freeze it and go get the right ingredients - easier and you would be assured of success.