Red beans & rice--what else to serve?
    Registered User gardening momma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Red beans & rice--what else to serve?

I have red beans that I bought in a bulk-type package. It's labeled "red beans small". I'm soaking them now, and am wondering how long they need to soak. I was thinking they'd need to soak until tomorrow, like I normally do with black beans, but then I thought I'd better ask.

Also, what else would go well with them? Dh wouldn't like just beans & rice. Anything I could add to them, or serve along with them?

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm from New Orleans originally and we usually put sausage or ham in w/ the beans. For seasoning I put Tabasco, Tony Chachere's, red & black pepper, a bay leaf, etc. Cook until tender some diced onion and minced garlic, then add the water and spices. Bring to a boil and then add the beans.

You want to slice your sausage in large sections if you are going to have it in there the entire cooking time. I like to add mine when the cooking is a bit more than 1/2 done.

We like to serve corn bread, or biscuits and a green salad to complete the meal.

Oh, and I just rinse and soak my dried beans overnight. Just remember to rinse them again before cooking.
    Last edited by guest002; 03-05-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaPAFW View Post
    I'm from New Orleans originally and we usually put sausage or ham in w/ the beans. For seasoning I put Tabasco, Tony Chachere's, red & black pepper, a bay leaf, etc. Cook until tender some diced onion and minced garlic, then add the water and spices. Bring to a boil and then add the beans.

You want to slice your sausage in large sections if you are going to have it in there the entire cooking time. I like to add mine when the cooking is a bit more than 1/2 done.

We like to serve corn bread, or biscuits and a green salad to complete the meal.

Oh, and I just rinse and soak my dried beans overnight. Just remember to rinse them again before cooking.
    The sausage sounds good. How long do you cook the beans? When I do black beans, they take about 3 hours, in a covered dutch oven pot on the stove top.

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They will take around that long. You really need to watch them in the last hour and stir often. Watch the water level. You want it to be almost gone but not too much or you'll burn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gosh, there were 2 pages of answers to this same question by the same person over in Kitchen Basics... Did you forget where you posted this question originally? If so, here it is along with lots of recipes.

[ame="http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115953"]What would you serve with black beans and rice? - Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gosh. I asked about black beans there. I wanted to know about red beans here. Thought I'd ask it in the Question & Answer format this time. I assume people use red beans in a different way (got mostly mexican recipe ideas in the other thread).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the sausage, we always have smoked sausage with red beans and rice. Cornbread too of course.
    DJ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about diced ham & potatoes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. I finely chopped about 1/4 of an onion and cooked it (well, I did the entire onion, and froze about 3/4 of it). I added the beans that I soaked since yesterday--was about 1 1/2 cups dry. I added about 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. cumin and a sprinkle of black pepper. About halfway through I'll add some mild Italian sausage. I didn't know what kind to buy, but this looked good. I think in the other thread, the one about black beans, someone suggested chorizo (sp?) sausage, but I didn't know what kind that was or if it would be spicy--and didn't see it in the store--so I went with Italian. It'll simmer for about 3+ hours, then we'll have it on rice with either salad or a cooked vegetable on the side. And cornbread. I have a recipe for that that I love.
    Last edited by gardening momma; 03-06-2009 at 03:48 PM.