How do I keep my house from smelling like DOG?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How do I keep my house from smelling like DOG?

I have two dogs and I would not give them up for anything in the whole wide world. They are big dogs, 80-90 lbs each, bulldogs.

Harley and Braddock are messy dogs. They have short fur and shed it everywhere. When they drink water half of it ends up on the floor (and of course, that's just the moment they want to come up and snuggle you). And my male loves to scratch his back by rubbing up against the couch. We do allow them on the furniture and believe me, they take advantage of it.

They're both older now thank goodness so they don't have accidents, but I feel like my house always smells like dog.

Here is what I do for damage control now:

1. Both dogs get a full bath and grooming once per week
    2. Water and food dishes have towels underneath and go in the dishwasher every other day
    3. We have enzymatic cleaner on hand for any issues that do occur and take care of them right away
    4. Vacuum once per week (that's all I can manage, working full time) and throw down some baking soda on the carpet 30 minutes before vacuuming
    5. Wash all bed linens including comforters once per week
    6. Use Febreeze on the upholstery
    7. Open windows when it is warm enough

I don't like using Febreeze on the upholstery because I think it has toxic ingredients, but I don't know how to deep clean my upholstery without hiring someone to do it.

Maybe my expectations are too high but I would really like someone to walk in and NOT know I have a dog until they get slobbered on. Any tips that work for you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Don't use febreeze on your fabrics. I actually think they make them smell worse in the long run! I stopped using it a few years ago, and haven't had a problem with the couches.

Instead, use baking soda on your couch. Just shake baking soda on all the surfaces, and let it sit for a while, then vacuum it off. It won't take out stains, but it does a fantastic job for smells!

We have an American Bulldog and he can get stinky. I've found the best way to keep the smell out of the house is too keep the hair vaccuumed up. As long as I vaccuum a couple of times a week, the house doesn't stink. But if I go too long and we start to get dog hair tumble weeds, then it can start to smell like dog.

I only bath our dogs once a month and it actually makes them smell better. I was talking to a groomer friend of mine a few years ago, and she said that frequent washing for dogs creates more oil on their skin and coat and you get that "dog smell". If you let it go, and only bathe them when they need it, the oil will even out and they loose their smell. It's worked for us! Especially on the bulldog who is prone to skin problems. By letting his skin regulate itself with it's own oil, we have less problems with his skin!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can spritz your furniture with vinegar. It smells bad while it's wet, but once it dries, the smell dissipates, taking odors with it. And, of course, it's NON-TOXIC!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use Febreeze for pets on any cloth surface, I use arm & hammer carpet stuff for pets when I vacuum, I have Febreeze for pets plug-ins in every room, and I use neutra-air or oust to spray the air.

This has been my routine for a long time and it works. I also bathe the dogs at least twice a month ~ more if they are filthy from the dog park. Their dog beds get thrown in the wash once a week. Then I have a friend who doesn't have dogs come over every once in awhile and tell me if my house smells like dogs. So far, so good.
    Nancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only other thing I can offer is to look into changing their food. Sometimes the food they are on can affect the skin excretions/smell.

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and worry about the 'smell' too. Sometimes in the summer when it is hot and humid it gets stinky because we don't have a/c.

It does sound like you're doing your best to take care of it though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy an enzyme cleaner but one made for baby rooms. It is made by one of the companies that makes the animal product but they use a baby powder smell that kind of takes away the "thats the dog stuff" thought, at least to me. It is cheaper also. I use it to spray on fabric and "bad" spots to freshen the room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not much I can add here that hasn't been covered, except one thing. If you're buying the enyzmic cleaners, be sure to buy the CONCENTRATED version rather than a premixed one. You can get it at farm stores. Why pay someone else to add water?

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Never let a wet dog in the house. That really stinks. No matter how inconvenient it may be to blow dry the dog - it must be done to ct down smells.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i ripped out the carpet and installed tile in the whole house. the pets get a cushy 2 inch thick wool oriental rug covered with washable blankets
    baby step 2- see blog for actual amounts

"stop being a victim, you are a perpetrator, taking things without paying for them is stealing, you are not a victim, you are a perpetrator. PAY THE PEOPLE YOU OWE, pray for the people you owe, and make it right. " hard nosed AA person, thumping his big book, addressed to me in AA meeting 7/30/2013

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dogs get baths once a week here. Dog bowls are outside as is large stone crock for water bowl. Dogs have access to outside throught large doggie door best invention in world! Have full grown male german shepard and shepard/rotti mix female. We have wooden floors and spiffer daily even DH will spiffer to pick up new puppies born daily. Shepard is long furred. Doors and windows are open constantly but we're in South Florida. No doggies on furniture althought shepard likes to sleep in Dads chair on back porch when he can get away with it. Dads dog! Dog rugs get washed often usually on front driveway with pressure washer with Large Area rug.
    We burn Yankee Candles often to hold down any extra smell.
    Only really notice it when we come home after trips.
    Would live forever with the smell because I love my dogs.
    Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have one small and one large dog. Doggie odors have not been a problem. Stale coffee odors are. Nothing I tried made that go completely away until I shampood all my carpets and washed all the drapes. It's been 4 or 5 months now and it's still under control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have always been a 2-3 dog family until Kane passed away a little over 1 year ago...now, we are a 1 dog family.

I have never taken my dogs to the groomer and we've never been ones to give our dogs a bath once a week...but, they get brushed frequently and that really helps with the fur and dander issue.

So far as smell, I use Arm & Hammer carpet fresh for pet odor...it works very well and I have found it works a whole lot better than just using baking soda. We also vacuum our furniture weekly and use fabric freshner we pick up at Family Dollar. Carpeted floors get vacuumed every other day, it only takes a few minutes to run a vacuum over the main areas of the floors.

Pet dishes are set on a mat that is typically used outside...they tend to keep stuff in them better so it doesn't get tracked all over and it is shook out daily.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny : $11.63
    Change : $66.20

Grocery Challenge:
    Grocery $400 avg. per month: $122.58/$400 April
    Running Total: $1,243.92

2014 Coupon Savings Challenge:
    $312.47

Savings Challenge: $/$3,000 to be put into other acct. when goal is met

2014 Fling Challenge: 63/2014
    20 Wishes Challenge: 10/24
    2014 Backwards 52 week Christmas Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
    To date: $637.00 - $53.84 = $583.16

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Febreeze has a room freshner, at least in the trigger spray, that's a Pet Odor eliminator.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

instead of febreze we spray a rubbing alcohol water mix on the coach. it smells bad wet but when it dries the smells are gone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can mix your own Fabreez
    1/2 c fabric softner
    1/2 c baking soda
    1 C warm water

Mix well
    put in spray bottle, use like the store bought kind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast