Ground beef in chub packaging? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered User jayneluvsmickey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

never had a problem with them and prefer them due to their being a consistent size (just think like mr. monk)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What i notice here is that the chub hamburger(packaged in plastic with metal crimps) is usually always over $2.00 a lb so at that price i can buy better quality meat on markdown for usually $1.50 or less per lb. Well i just got 50 lbs of it at $1 per lb. I do usually cook it all up at once and package into 3/4 lb packages!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We usually buy them in either 1lb or 2lb tubes. Love them!! Freezes great. Never had a problem at all. Less freezer burn in the freezer compared to the styrofoam pkgs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use them too. No problem here with the quality. I have some of the Kroger ones in my freezer now. I find they keep well in the heavy plastic wrap. As someone said, they do seem to go on sale more often too.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the chubs I buy are at Costco in the freezer section. Those are the only ones I am satisfied with as they are Lean. I can't eat the fatty hamburger even if it's in a styrofoam tray, I just do not like the fatty ground beef.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you don't like it, next time try a different brand too. Sometimes you'll find you prefer different brands over another.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mostly I have had good luck but read the pkg. The clear ones at our local store are wonderful the same as the pkg just in plastic... others have been fine but a higher fat content.. and then there was the ones from Save a lot... If I had read the pkg I would not have bought it. it had soy filler in it AND it was highly seasoned.. thankyo but I add my own pepper. and it had some grissle. so from Save alot NEVER again.

I like chub packs but I now always read first

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, I don't like them. Everytime I ever bought any, they were full of fat, grissle, and bone chips. I know why too, when I was little my dad worked in a meat packing plant and I remember the stories of how certain meats were processed. There are a lot of "meats" I won't touch. I like seeing the meat I'm buying. Meat is one of the things I will gladly pay extra for. Also unless you plan on fixing 5 lbs. of hamburger at once you have to portion them out as soon as you get home. I only feed 2 adults so it's much easier to buy 1 lb. pks. and then wrap them in foil and mark them when I get home.I just recently got a pamphlet from our farmers co-op wth a list of local farmers who sell fresh beef. I plan on trying some of these out. Fresh Black Angus yummmmmm.

Cat
    Last edited by Sassyclass; 04-01-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy my hamburger both in the trays and in 1 pound chubs. I buy whatever is cheapest at the time. I LOVE the chubs though. Just bring it home and pop it in the freezer! No extra bagging, etc. They fit great in the door of my upright freezer and they are handy to get to. Our Walmart marks them down alot so I grab up as many as I can afford at the time!

I've also had the 5 pound ones and I just cut them into chunks and wrapped them in freezer wrap, then put into ziplocs.

I do usually try to get the leaner ones if possible, but will buy the less lean ones too if they are marked down low enough!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually always buy the chubs. They tend to be cheaper in my area because of more sales on them. I have only had one issue with quality during the time that I have bought them. I had one 5 lb chub that had a huge portion of just ground fat in it. I understand where some people hestitate when they can't see the meat that they are purchasing.

Like many of you, I also find that they stay fresher longer in the fridge and that's worth it to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Costco has wonderful meat in the freezer section. It is 5-1# chubs of 93/7 ground meat. Freezes beautifully, tastes good, and is in clear packaging so you can see the meat. Hope this helps....

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyOfFive4God View Post
    Chubs to me are pkged the same way as a roll of bulk sausage- platic with those metal crimps at the ends.

ok Thank You! I'm going WTH is a chub??? Now I know. I've seen the those packs. I didn't know they had a specific name! LMAO!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

you know i never knew they had a special name for those either, i always just called them burger rolls. i have never thought of buying those as i guess i was always taught that you should see what your buying, but i will buy the jimmy dean saugage rolls. will have to check out the prices when i go to walmart to make groceries this week. if they are pretty much the same, why not give it a try!
    renee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only bought them once and ughh...the grissle was terrible.

Now I only buy the extra lean hamburger because of health reasons but I can get it for $2.49 a pound at SaveALot. It doesn't fry away like the 80/20.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Chubs

I know this is an old post but thought this was something I might be able to offer to people if they happen to look at this again.

I am a supervisor for a company that makes these chub. The meats that are company puts in these chubs are extremely fresh. Extra steps are taken to make sure that food safety is followed for these retail chubs. If you buy say 80/20 chuck you will get exactly that and as for the gristle that some people find (also found in tray ground beef) , when dealing with ground beef you need to understand that ground beef is the trimming of different meat that has no home. if you buy brisket it has been trimmed and cut and all the trimmings go to ground beef plants and some plants have their own ground beef operation.

Stores that grind their own ground beef also do the same thing. They buy bulk meat the butcher cuts it up and what is left is grounded.

The more ground beef is worked with and grinded or the temperature starts getting hotter the more likely you are to run into bacteria. In my opinion I prefer chubs over trays since the tray meat 7 times out of 10 is bulk chub meat the store purchased and reground to portion out. Remembering that the more you work it the more your asking for trouble I choose chubs simply because in my eyes being a ground beef supervisor it is safer for my family since no human hands ever touch it once it is grounded. The machines that package these chubs are sanitized and inspected by USDA daily and quality control.

Can you guarantee that you local meat store is sanitary like a big beef plant is? These beef plants have to be clean because they risk millions upon millions of dollars (Google ground beef recalls) if there is a recall, so every precaution is taken for food safety.

I was at a local store the other day watch a butcher come out put some meat out in the coolers for sale moved some packages that people touched, picked some things up off the ground to make sure his area was clean and went back in the back grabbed some meat and started running it thru a grinder..... Didnít wash his hands, didnít sanitize, didnít change his frock he was wearing.

Understanding that just because it is the same meat at a cheaper price does not make it better. If I have to pay an extra 2 dollars for my meat and have the peace of mind that it will be safe for my family I will.

Oh ya..... the post that said they got a chunk of grinded fat in the chub, simple fix, before buying the chub squeeze it feel for the fat it will be almost rock hard you canít miss it.

hope this come to some help to somebody

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast