Pressure Cooker Recommendations?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Pressure Cooker Recommendations?

I have never bought one of these new and I'm about ready to, as I plan to do some limited canning this spring/summer/fall.

Can you tell me things you wish you'd considered before you bought yours? Things that make you glad you own one, etc. please?

Thank you in Advance!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pressure cookers and pressure canners are used differently, so if you plan to use it for canning, you'll need a pressure canner.

This link should be helpful:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...s_canners.html

If you have a County Extension Office (Cooperative Extension Service) near you, stop-by or give them a call for more information about pressure canning. They will have free booklets and tested recipes available for the general public.

Our Extension Office will also test pressure canners for you, or teach you how to test them yourself. You should test it before each canning season. You might also check and see if that have a Master Canner or Master Food Preserver Classes available, I'd suggest taking them. You'll get up-to-date information, which is important for safe home canning.

There's nothing better than home canned chicken and beef....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default If there's classes, I couldn't find them years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post
    Pressure cookers and pressure canners are used differently, so if you plan to use it for canning, you'll need a pressure canner.

This link should be helpful:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...s_canners.html

If you have a County Extension Office (Cooperative Extension Service) near you, stop-by or give them a call for more information about pressure canning. They will have free booklets and tested recipes available for the general public.

Our Extension Office will also test pressure canners for you, or teach you how to test them yourself. You should test it before each canning season. You might also check and see if that have a Master Canner or Master Food Preserver Classes available, I'd suggest taking them. You'll get up-to-date information, which is important for safe home canning.

There's nothing better than home canned chicken and beef....
    I asked. There's also no group kitchen available either. I had to REMIND the state extension people that there had been such a thing a few years ago. Sigh.

I'll ask about information re pressure canners, but I'm not holding my breath. The NH Co-op for all that this is a "rural" state, doesn't do much. For example, the how to save money on food document (the last time I looked) was basically the benefits of making pizza etc. at home rather than eating out!

Thanks for letting me know that there's a difference between canners and cookers!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Dial View Post
    I asked. There's also no group kitchen available either. I had to REMIND the state extension people that there had been such a thing a few years ago. Sigh.

I'll ask about information re pressure canners, but I'm not holding my breath. The NH Co-op for all that this is a "rural" state, doesn't do much. For example, the how to save money on food document (the last time I looked) was basically the benefits of making pizza etc. at home rather than eating out!

Thanks for letting me know that there's a difference between canners and cookers!

Judi
    I'll have to send a thank you to our Extension Office and tell them what a service they do for the community, because when I've suggested using them as a resource on other boards, they get a big thumbs-down. We must have one of the best groups around. I've been on the Co. Extension Board in years past, and have taken lessons and GIVEN lots of lessons at the office. It's too bad many of the Extension Offices are not doing as good a job as ours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Aloha Judi, I'm really surprised that NH does not have support for 'the basics'. I went to school in NH and was always in awe of the back to home basics of the families. What about contacting UNH - they should have something available. Good luck.
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.
    Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I HAVE contacted UNH...they run the state extension service, alas.

Maybe I'll see if I can't find some classes in VT or MA. Or, the better thing to do would likely be to GO to UNH and tell someone I want to organize such a class and how do I go about it? I need to probably do something other than run about and say there isn't anything, there isn't....

I'm too used to (like all of us) having things given to me, rather than making them happen.

I'm busy first thing tomorrow, but I'll try calling them after that. Although I should just make an appt. I've tried contacting them for info re canning, various eco issues, and coppices, and never gotten much that I found useful.

Time to DO something rather than talk about it -- tomorrow!

Judi

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just bought a pressure canner at walmart this past weekend. It's a Presto weighted canner. No dial gauge. It does have a rubber gasket. It's good enough to get me started pressure canning. I would love to get an All American canner. It's metal on metal sealing and theres no gasket to worry about drying out. They're over $200.

I stopped at my county extension office and there was no one there, but I did find a newsletter that had info about a class some time in July. I just need to find out where and at what time. I didn't think that there was much in the way of info here either. It's just tables set up in a hallway with some booklets about pesticide tracking for the farmers and a couple of things about being prepared in case of emergencies, etc. I'm not sure what is suppose to be at one of these offices, but I think it's suppose to be more than what I saw. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Frug,

Hmm. I have to go down my our county office tomorrow. I'll see if they have anything since I was busy running errands all day (dentist, book booth, shopping, tax person, post office, etc.)

Thanks for the idea!

Judi