Getting a carnivorous husband to cut down on meat? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My hubby wants his meat....period.
    I try to find meat $ 1.99 a pound or less. That part I can control.
    The other day I bought some nice one continuous long link sausage for 1.49 a pound. Maybe 3 pounds worth. He put the whole thing in one section on the grill. We had one meal out of it, and the rest was his snack food for the weekend.
    I bought a nice pork loin at 1.99 a pound. I sliced off some for the first meal. The second meal I decided a section was going in the oven for a roast. But before I did that, I sliced off some more pieces and set that in the freezer for another meal. So the roast when done was 11 pieces and I had 2 of that. I think he had like 4 for the meal and I put the rest in the frig for another meal. When I went to get it back out, it was not there....he had been snacking again. Sigh
    If it's in that frig and cooked....it's fair game I guess.
    I will have to break it down when I bring it home from the store before he sees it, and be ahead of him. I guess. Which I do most of the time.
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 06-21-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: more info
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I personally wouldn't try to cut his meat consumption as I am a major carnivore. But that is just me.

Honestly we have a lower carb diet in our house (no pasta or white bread, crackers, junk food, fillers etc) due to diabetes. This is not an expensive way to eat for us. After years I have shopping this way down to a science.
    I simple buy only on sale meats and stock up. If chicken is what is on sale we eat lots of chicken etc.

Who ever mentioned cholesterol. Not everyone who eats lots of meat has high cholesterol. I eat lots of it and have excellent test. However I don't eat sugar, junk carbs etc. Just lots of protein, fats, veggies, beans, some fruits and occasionally oats or very heart dark bread.

Could your hubby just be one of those people who's body craves more protein?

Whole wheat pasta in casseroles etc do tend to stay with you longer and be much more filling it seems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have tried and tried to have my carnivorous husband to cut down on meat but he just won't. He says his body craves it.
    Oct No Spend Days - 14 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 254 /365
    2014 Oct Gas Challenge - $55 / $120
    Oct Keep Fit - 1140 min / 930 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For me it was simple. We had plenty of vegetable we had grown. Meat, on the other hand was an expense. We just started cutting down on portion size until we were sharing a steak. Now, I don't want to eat a lot of meat. When I do, I feel too full. I guess my body has become accustomed to my diet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since he likes to grill/BBQ? and he likes baked potatoes, make the baked potatoes stuffed with left over grillings. I love BBQtopped baked potatoes. Chicken is another way to stuff them. You can come up with so many different varieties.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a hubby who used to be strictly a carnivore, too.

It was the way he grew up and what he was used too. When we needed to save money, I just found some other things for him to eat, that he wouldn't mind.

On pasta, make the pasta the meal. Cut back on the meat and cheese to save money. We do 1 box of spaghetti, 1/2 pound of ground beef, 1 jar o spag sauce, one can of diced tomatoes and 8 ounces of cheese on top.

You can also try so substitute onions and peppers for meat. Both are "meaty" and flavorful. I put them in skillets with eggs, sandwiches and fajitas. When I first had DH try a pepper and onion sandwich, he thought I was nuts...it's now one of his favorite things!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband loves red meat. I serve it, but make sure it is in the correct portions. You can have a piece of beef, just make sure it is the size of your palm, not your head.He fusses- I just pass the veggies and the salad.Kiss the cook sweetie.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my husband loves meat too.

I will give him sausage links (clearance 99 cents) with scrambled eggs (dozen for 99 cents) and cheese for dinner and that is a cheap meal that he likes

Also I make the meat in bulk and then freeze the extras to use in meal size portions. Then i will defrost to make tacos, quesadillas, sandwiches, etc.

I will take chicken breast, de bone it, and serve with gravy over rice or bread so that he thinks he's eating a lot of meat but there is starch in there stretching the meat portion out. I will serve that with Veggies and he is pretty happy and doesn't notice my deception.

I also make my own TV dinners to pack in our lunches if we have extra food. He hates leftovers so I have gotten really good at minimizing food waste. I think if Stoffers or Lean Cuisine can make it for the freezer, so can I !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My dh was used to eating all kinds of meat when I met him, but I have been able to make lots of dishes he likes that don't have meat so he's satisfied...for him, as long as he is full, he is happy.
    I have several recipes that contain no meat, and he loves them all. Also, I save lots in the summer by eating out of the garden and serving lighter but filling fare.
    Aside from that, our budget is important to us and so we purchase meat when it is on sale, usually BOGO deals, and stretch those as far as possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do some really good pastas like baked rigatoni, or even carbonara... which has about 1/2 tablespoon of bacon bits per serving. Tastes meaty, but has almost no meat in it.

Also soups take a lot less meat than casseroles, but if the soup base is thickened with say a packet of beef gravy.. it seems really meaty.

Other than trying to wean my own "Gorog the cave man" off of the worst of the bratwurst, and 15 other kinds of sausage.. I gave up.

He likes to cook that stuff, and we all like to eat it, and it makes him happy, so the sacrifice of constant fighting, and sullen meal times just wasn't worth it in our home. (Besides, I warn you, they'll just start stopping off for a cheeseburger "on their way" which is the same $5 just way less healthy)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Count me in. Can't fool DF. I bulk up the meals with veggies & he still fills up on the meat & carbs first, leaving the veggies. He doesn't do casseroles & cheese is another sore subject - that prettymuch counts out lasagna, ziti, mac & cheese, etc. He's been on a chicken kick lately so I just shop the markdown meats & stock up when possible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to assume that you do the majority of grocery shopping and cooking, right? What is there to discuss?

Buy less meat, cook less meat. If he's hungry he'll eat what's on the table.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Frugalwitch. Wish it was so easy. My DS is 16 and is a major carnivore. He eats whole chickens and pounds of lunchmeat at a time. His friends are the same way. They are GROWING. He is like a caged tiger w/o meat and so crabby. He isn't fat .he's lithe. Kayaks,walks miles,rides bikes,fishes always active. He gets upset when all we have in the house is "plants". i want a healthy DS so I suck up the cost of meat and get it cheap,in bulk when I can. He laughs at his friends that are picky eaters. He says he would eat anything. He said he would put the cat on a spit if he had too. But he was just joking right? Right? No really. Right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12