Frugal Village Forums banner

Getting a carnivorous husband to cut down on meat?

3K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  frugalwarrior 
#1 ·
I know that this is an important part of cutting costs, but my DH is going to be a tough one. One problem is that he does a lot of the cooking--grilling steaks, hamburgers, sausages, pork chops, etc, and trying to get him to try other things isn't going to be easy.

The only thing I've found so far with less meat that he really likes is baked pasta. I use a pound of pasta, pasta sauce, 1 lb of meat and a 1/2lb of cheese, and that makes 8 meals (4 each), which is only 2 oz of meat per serving. It's an improvement over what he normally would eat, but I need some other things. BTW--he loves baked potatoes, so anything centering around that would be great (although it would probably involve bacon bits. lol)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Maybe do a 'con' on him......tell him that a couple nights a week you will cook and fix other 'less meat things'. How about scalloped potatoes with some ham or h'burger in it? Then maybe if he could 'see' some meat he wouldn't feel so deprived. Or get him into a 'fish thing' ...that is healthier anyway. Or......how about just a night or two that is 'meatless'?? Of course, you are only doing this FOR HIS HEALTH right?? :wink:

You could have a challenge on your hands with him doing the cooking...but for heaven sakes do not...and I repeat....DO NOT deter that!! who does the buying? Maybe that could be a possibility too??

#4 ·
We do lots of pasta dishes and I cut back to 1/2 lb ground meat in those- spaghetti, ramen with hamburger and broccoli and stroganoff are some we see a lot. With chicken pasta casseroles I use one leg and thigh piece (we get these super cheap on sale and bake all at once, freeze after cooking and thaw as needed). I just pull the meat off the bone and add it to fettucine, noodles and cheese, enchiladas, fajitas, etc.

I think the trick is to mix the meat with other things so it isn't as noticeable that you are using less.

#5 ·
I, too, have a carniverous family. They think they'll die without meat. I have to say, though, over the last 2 years we've cut out alot of meat from our diets. DH said he'd try eating less meat as long as the vegetarian nights were "hearty." I do things like pasta with a mushroom ragu when I can find mushrooms on sale. I also use alot of dried ones which are wonderful. I stock up at hte farmer's market a nearby city. They are really inexpensive there.

My kids (20 and 16) even like eggplant parmesean (they really don't know there is no meat) because I make it with alot of mushrooms. There are many great vegetarian cookbooks out there but get on Amazon and try to get "Vegetarian Cooking" by Deborah Madison. Her dishes are hearty, fillling and so tasty your hubby will never miss the meat.

Finally, remind him of how much healthier his colon and insides will be without all that meat. DH has a history of colon cancer in his immediate family and I really try to avoid alot of meat. He fussed to begin with but now he's pretty content most of the time. We do still have a steak on the grill occasionally but I try to sneak in 2 or 3 nights without meat most weeks.

You really will feel better.

#6 ·
If you do the grocery buying, you can always buy the cheaper meats and that will help some as far as the budget goes. I never pay more than $1.00 per pound for meat. You would be surprised how often meat goes on sale for $1 per pound or less. I usually buy ground beef, chicken quarters, drumsticks, and hams and turkeys around Thanksgiving and Christmas that get put in the freezer to be used all year. As for steak, pork chops, etc. you may have to look for meats with close expiration dates. As long as you freeze them before the date, you should be okay.

I too use less meat in dishes (1/2 pound ground beef in spaghetti, etc.) Using leftovers for other meals will help. If you only have a tiny bit of meat left, throw it in a container in the freezer. The next time you have a small amount of that same meat left, add it to the container. Eventually you will have enough to make a pot pie, dumplings, fajitas, etc.

I feel your pain. I married a carnivore as well. If it doesn't have meat, it isn't a meal as far as he's concerned. Good luck!

#7 · (Edited)
You'll need to figure out which tactic is going to work on him. Forcing him probably won't work. Conning him is IMO, not a good way to go either.

You might try meatless night once a week, with something hearty like GenB suggests. If that is too extreme, then 'low meat' dishes like your pasta could be a good introduction. Consider things like lentils and sausage, rice pilaf or jambalaya, beef stroganoff casserole, etc. Have a pasta or rice based dish once a week until he gets used to it, and then start doing it twice a week.

I find that dishes like tacos or fajitas can be both economical, and still have lots of meat as the center of the meal. Use ground beef or turkey, or shredded chicken (thighs are cheap and good for this). Even a piece of skirt steak or sirloin, though expensive, can be sliced thin and used to fill a lot of tortillas. Make sure there is plenty of sauteed onion, peppers, cheese, salsa, and rice on the side.

He can still fulfill his need to grill by cooking burgers, bratwurst, and hot dogs. Save the steak for special occasions. I like them as much as the next person, but these days only buy them if the price is really good. I think we appreciate it more that way.

Talk to him about larger cuts you (he) can cook and use in more than one meal. Perhaps a large pork loin that can be cut for steaks the first night, sliced thin for sandwiches the next day, then used in stir fry or fried rice at a later date. This introduces the concept of using a big hunk of meat for more than one meal, and mixing meat with rice and vegetables to make it go father.

Rememeber that whatever you try to get him to eat has to taste great. If he has objections to things you make now, try to pin down the issue. Is it too spicy? Too bland? Is the texture wrong? How? What can you change? In many cases I found that some simple switches made a big difference in what DH would eat... steamed vegetables not boiled, different brand of biscuit mix, using tomato puree instead of chunks....

I've been honest with my husband the couple times things got tough and said "We can't afford that." Not being able to afford steaks or to have meat every night doesn't mean you have to eat badly. You just make a more suitable choice, like grilled chicken instead of sirloin.

Finally, when I try new stuff on DH and he doesn't seem enthused, I promise him that if he does not like it I won't make it again. (this doesn't mean a different version with adjustments isn't in the future) But I do get his feedback about what he did not like, the taste, texture, whatever. I've been pretty lucky so far that many things I have tried came out good and he likes the new recipes, so he is usually willing to keep trying.

#8 ·
Do you have any idea what your blood lipid numbers are-you or dh? Those number might motivate both of you. Your list of what meat you eat is not the most healthy choices. Course, I'm the next thing to a vegetarian so it kinda gives me the shivers to think of eating those things-daily even. But i have not always been like this so am not throwing stones but asking if you are seeing any negative consequences of this style of eating? My very favorite substitute for meat is cheese--which would completely defeat the purpose!! Vegatables and fruits are lots of fun to figure all the different ways you can cook them. Good luck with your getting him off so much meat and while saving money you will be doing his heart a big blessing! I really hope this does not come across as some sort of holier than thou as getting to this veggie eating for:chomp: me was a necesity(sp?) as my numbers were really bad and have a looong family history of stroke, heart attack etc.

#11 ·
Do you have any idea what your blood lipid numbers are-you or dh?
I was tested 18 months ago, and my numbers were great: total 176, LDL 92, and HDL 68. My DH was a little high (228, I believe), with very low HDL (31). They put him on a statin and his total went down to 159, but his HDL is still very low. I'm not a fan of the medication because all it does is make the total look good, when it's the HDL that's more important. I had him taking Omega 3 fish oil pills to help bring up the HDL, but now that I'm not getting up in the morning with him, I don't think he's taking them like he should. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
If he loves potatoes, you can find ways to make him stuff like twice-baked potatoes or roasted potatoes with some olive oil and rosemary on them. You could get him to try meals that have meat in them, but they're surrounded by oodles of veggies. My favorite one is donair sandwiches, which has meat and veggies and sauce wrapped in a balady bread.

Meals with less meat may not be as filling to him, so perhaps you guys can try appetite control products and eat more good carbs (veggies are big good carbs). By eating bad carbs, like pasta and most breads, he may be full for about an hour but after that, he may be starving for fillers.

#10 ·
This is a battle at our house too. I make corn,watermelon,salad and steak,garlic bread. He eats only bread and steak. I started serving him his food. When I make a plate in has some of everything. We also do nachos,stew,soups,casseroles. I make Chunk meat meals as a treat. If he complains i show him grocery reciepts. It's like cryptonite. He is cheap and has no idea of costs. I have yelled at my son for the same thing. DS likes to grill for his friends so we make that a meat day. In other words the health agruement and the don't be a piggy arguements have failed so were on to money and plate making. Best I got.?

#13 ·
I think some bodies just naturally require more protein. I know my household gets sick if we up the carbs - even the good carbs. My focus would be on proper serving sizes. If he is eating 10 oz of beef at a setting we all know that is not good. Next time instead of buying 10 oz, buy 9. Buy 9 for a while until his body adjusts then go to 8. Guys with active jobs are going to need more than my guy who sits at a desk all day so their body can rebuid after the work. If you buy in bulk, repackage it quickly into proper serving sizes for your family so there is no temptation to cook it in one night.

#14 ·
my hubby loves his meat too. but i make alot of casseroles in cp and in the oven.
In cp-i put smaller pieces cut up maybe 1 chk. breast to 1/2 large chk breast per person and add more veggies.
hamburger in spaghetti sauces or casseroles can be cut down or make mini meatballs withmore cracker in to them ahead of time and freeze them so when u need them he wont see the diff.
In oven -scalloped potaoes canned ham(flaked) is cheaper way to go i find.
and shishkabobs wiht meat ont he stick plus veggies and stew meat on sale on sticks witrh veggies looks like alot more, and still he's gettting his meat.

#15 ·
Have your husband take the test at My Food Pyramid so he can see how much food he needs for the day.

http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/planner/launchPage.aspx

Then remind him humans are omnivore (feeding on both animal and vegetable substances), not carnivore (LOL).

Maybe I've taught nutrition classes too long and have followed serving sizes FOREVER - and have the ideal husband
:smooch: - who is just happy he gets fed on a regular basis (he came from a family of 8 kids and his mother was a terrible cook).

I can't understand why anyone would have to trick, con, or deceive, their family to save on the meat portion of the food budget, or to NOT control portion sizes of any food, not just meat? Doesn't the truth serve well enough anymore when it comes to adult conversations about food and money?

I'd like to have unlimited amounts of expensive brands of ice cream in my diet, but that's just as unsustainable on my food budget as large amounts of meat. That doesn't mean we don't occasionally indulge in expensive ice cream or a great steak, but it ALL comes within the budget.

The first and best way to save on your food budget is to fix a certain dollar amount for your food purchases. And stick TO IT!!!

Our food budget is $50/week, and no more than $10 is spent on meat. I generally try to keep meat to no more than $2/pound (so I hit the store early and check those discounted and sales items).

As I accumulate unspent food dollars, especially during the summer when we eat out of the garden and I don't have to buy much at the store, I take that accumulated money and we purchase grass-fed beef from a friend. So now we have the better cuts of beef to enjoy, as well as all those bargains from the store. A win-win situation...

#16 · (Edited)
My hubby wants his meat....period.
I try to find meat $ 1.99 a pound or less. That part I can control.
The other day I bought some nice one continuous long link sausage for 1.49 a pound. Maybe 3 pounds worth. He put the whole thing in one section on the grill. We had one meal out of it, and the rest was his snack food for the weekend.
I bought a nice pork loin at 1.99 a pound. I sliced off some for the first meal. The second meal I decided a section was going in the oven for a roast. But before I did that, I sliced off some more pieces and set that in the freezer for another meal. So the roast when done was 11 pieces and I had 2 of that. I think he had like 4 for the meal and I put the rest in the frig for another meal. When I went to get it back out, it was not there....he had been snacking again. Sigh :(
If it's in that frig and cooked....it's fair game I guess.
I will have to break it down when I bring it home from the store before he sees it, and be ahead of him. I guess. Which I do most of the time.

#17 ·
I personally wouldn't try to cut his meat consumption as I am a major carnivore. But that is just me.

Honestly we have a lower carb diet in our house (no pasta or white bread, crackers, junk food, fillers etc) due to diabetes. This is not an expensive way to eat for us. After years I have shopping this way down to a science.
I simple buy only on sale meats and stock up. If chicken is what is on sale we eat lots of chicken etc.

Who ever mentioned cholesterol. Not everyone who eats lots of meat has high cholesterol. I eat lots of it and have excellent test. However I don't eat sugar, junk carbs etc. Just lots of protein, fats, veggies, beans, some fruits and occasionally oats or very heart dark bread.

Could your hubby just be one of those people who's body craves more protein?

Whole wheat pasta in casseroles etc do tend to stay with you longer and be much more filling it seems.

#18 ·
I have tried and tried to have my carnivorous husband to cut down on meat but he just won't. He says his body craves it.

#19 ·
For me it was simple. We had plenty of vegetable we had grown. Meat, on the other hand was an expense. We just started cutting down on portion size until we were sharing a steak. Now, I don't want to eat a lot of meat. When I do, I feel too full. I guess my body has become accustomed to my diet.

#20 ·
Since he likes to grill/BBQ? and he likes baked potatoes, make the baked potatoes stuffed with left over grillings. I love BBQtopped baked potatoes. Chicken is another way to stuff them. You can come up with so many different varieties.

Good luck!

#21 ·
I have a hubby who used to be strictly a carnivore, too.

It was the way he grew up and what he was used too. When we needed to save money, I just found some other things for him to eat, that he wouldn't mind.

On pasta, make the pasta the meal. Cut back on the meat and cheese to save money. We do 1 box of spaghetti, 1/2 pound of ground beef, 1 jar o spag sauce, one can of diced tomatoes and 8 ounces of cheese on top.

You can also try so substitute onions and peppers for meat. Both are "meaty" and flavorful. I put them in skillets with eggs, sandwiches and fajitas. When I first had DH try a pepper and onion sandwich, he thought I was nuts...it's now one of his favorite things!

#22 ·
My husband loves red meat. I serve it, but make sure it is in the correct portions. You can have a piece of beef, just make sure it is the size of your palm, not your head.He fusses- I just pass the veggies and the salad.Kiss the cook sweetie.

#23 ·
my husband loves meat too.

I will give him sausage links (clearance 99 cents) with scrambled eggs (dozen for 99 cents) and cheese for dinner and that is a cheap meal that he likes

Also I make the meat in bulk and then freeze the extras to use in meal size portions. Then i will defrost to make tacos, quesadillas, sandwiches, etc.

I will take chicken breast, de bone it, and serve with gravy over rice or bread so that he thinks he's eating a lot of meat but there is starch in there stretching the meat portion out. I will serve that with Veggies and he is pretty happy and doesn't notice my deception.

I also make my own TV dinners to pack in our lunches if we have extra food. He hates leftovers so I have gotten really good at minimizing food waste. I think if Stoffers or Lean Cuisine can make it for the freezer, so can I !

#24 ·
My dh was used to eating all kinds of meat when I met him, but I have been able to make lots of dishes he likes that don't have meat so he's satisfied...for him, as long as he is full, he is happy.
I have several recipes that contain no meat, and he loves them all. Also, I save lots in the summer by eating out of the garden and serving lighter but filling fare.
Aside from that, our budget is important to us and so we purchase meat when it is on sale, usually BOGO deals, and stretch those as far as possible.:cents:

#25 ·
I do some really good pastas like baked rigatoni, or even carbonara... which has about 1/2 tablespoon of bacon bits per serving. Tastes meaty, but has almost no meat in it.

Also soups take a lot less meat than casseroles, but if the soup base is thickened with say a packet of beef gravy.. it seems really meaty.

Other than trying to wean my own "Gorog the cave man" off of the worst of the bratwurst, and 15 other kinds of sausage.. I gave up.

He likes to cook that stuff, and we all like to eat it, and it makes him happy, so the sacrifice of constant fighting, and sullen meal times just wasn't worth it in our home. (Besides, I warn you, they'll just start stopping off for a cheeseburger "on their way" which is the same $5 just way less healthy)

#26 ·
Count me in. Can't fool DF. I bulk up the meals with veggies & he still fills up on the meat & carbs first, leaving the veggies. He doesn't do casseroles & cheese is another sore subject - that prettymuch counts out lasagna, ziti, mac & cheese, etc. He's been on a chicken kick lately so I just shop the markdown meats & stock up when possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.