Does stick margarine need to be refrigerated?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does stick margarine need to be refrigerated?

I was writing to ask if stick margarine needs to be refrigerated?

When I was young, it seemed everyone had a stick of margarine in a container on the dining table.

I haven't seen this for a long time, but would like to keep it out of the frig. I won't have any tub margarine until Monday, and stick butter is so HARD when it is refrigerated.

Anyone keep a stick of margarine on the table?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We keep it in the fridge.

To make it soft put it in the processor with a touch of light tasting oil and process it. Put it in a covered container and it will be as nice as the tub.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Would not keep it out in this heat - can go rancid.
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Aunt used to keep a stick on her kitchen table at all times of the year. She kept it in a covered butter dish. I'm still alive.

The thing with margarine is that it is made of more chemicals than oils and it shouldn't go rancid quickly. Flies won't eat it and bugs won't bother it. They may get stuck in it if they landed on it while it was soft, but that's about all. Just keep it covered.

You can buy a butter crock and keep even your butter in it on the kitchen counter. Somehow it keeps it cool enough. I don't have one, it's on my wish list. I've seen them for about $8-$10 in stores. Sometimes you'll see them in a mailorder magazine that you get in the mail.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't but my Mom does. She always has and always will. I too, like Crazyhomemaker, survived but I won't do it.

I never heard of a butter crock though...that sounds interesting.
    May No Spend Days - 14 /15
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 132 /365
    2014 May Gas Challenge - $105 / $80
    May Keep Fit - 580 min / 750 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My grandma kept it out all the time, along with the bacon grease. I keep them both in the refrigerator. Looking online I couldn't find anything that said it was ok to not refrigerate. Though I know they have to go by certain guidelines these days.

I too want a butter crock.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a butter crock . . . I don't know if it works for margarine though. The directions that came with it say that the butter stays good for about a week and you change the water in the crock every other day. We've had it for about six months now and it's love-r-ly to have soft, spreadable butter ready for every meal. HTH.

ETA: Okay, I was wrong. It says 30 days without refrigeration. Wow . . . we use ours up much faster than that. I think they are also referred to as butter bells if you want to do a search. This is the one we have and it holds a whole stick of butter:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-284-Butter-Keeper/dp/B0000VLURQ"]Amazon.com: Norpro Butter Keeper: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]
    Last edited by ri*smom; 07-31-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Margarine is very stable. I saw on Oprah (I think) an episode where they were talking about how awful margarine is and they left a tub outside in somebody's hot garage for a month- it was fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I refrigerate the tubs, don't refrigerate the stick, or the butter.

I use a plastic marg. container for my butter (holds two sticks) and have it on the counter all the time. I hate hard butter or margarine. But if I am using the tubs.... well, that stuff is soft all the time anyway.

My mother left both out on the counter too. Didn't refrigerate any of it until the tubs came along.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep in the freezer until ready to use. Then it goes in a reusable covered bowl on the counter. It doesn't last long enough to go bad here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I loved the butter crock idea.

I did some googling to see if margarine could be used in them and while the results were divided, there were more results saying they do not work for margarine. If you want to google this yourself, put in butter bell and not butter crock, as you get lots of hits on country crock margarine.

I haven't had real butter for so many years that I don't remember what it tastes like. Maybe I should buy some and give it a try....
    OK...I want that crock......lol. Seriously, I would like to try it.
    I haven't gone grocery shopping yet this week, so will add some to the list.

Thanks everyone!

Registered User old_lady_in_the_shoe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Margarine should be refrigerated to maintain its solid form between uses, but it can remain stable much longer than butter.

most margarine formulas are made from vegetable oils and The normally liquid vegetable oil is solidified through a process involving hydrogen gas bubbles passing through the mixture. The result is a solid butter substitute with no cholesterol and little if any saturated fat.

Fats get rancid, but it takes a while for that to happen. IMHO margarine would be fine sitting out if used within a few days or so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow. I always put mine in the fridge. But I don't leave anything out. My animals would get into it anyway. We used to fight about bread in the fridge.