Front Load Washer and Dryer- Need Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Front Load Washer and Dryer- Need Advice

I am looking for some advice on a new washer and dryer. I really would like a front loading one. If you have one or were going to buy one, what kind would you get?

I am putting a new roof on my house this month so it will be a little while. I guess it's time to start a fund for it just like we did for the new roof.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My advice is to buy something that is already 20 yrs old. It's almost guaranteed to never die. Should you choose to buy a new one, get the extended warranty. It's crazy expensive to have one repaired and ours have been repaired at least once a year since we got them three yrs ago. NO wait that would mean they were repaired twice a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow! The only repairs I've had to my front-loader have been a door latch ($8 part and easily done by DH with just a screwdriver) and a pump replacement $85.00. This has been over a FIFTEEN year time period.

If water is expensive where you live, a front-load washer is the way to go. It uses only 1/2 to 1/3 the water of a conventional washer, and spins your clothes so dry that drying time is greatly reduced, too!! Oh, only 1/2 the detergent, too!! I LOVE my front loader.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do save a lot of water and I buy HE soap and only use a 1/4 cup perload.

I figure it saves a ton on water, soap and the dry time is cut way down too.
    Front loaders are great for all of that.

Wow! The only repairs I've had to my front-loader have been a door latch ($8 part and easily done by DH with just a screwdriver) and a pump replacement $85.00. This has been over a FIFTEEN year time period. Oh well, yours is fifteen yrs old, that most likely means less buttons and fancy useless features. Mine is an LG and it's always the control panel that gets messed up. They tried to tell me it was from using too much soap. HUM, I was only using 2tbls of subs-less soap. I seriously doubt that was the problem. And if it was , it can't be helped because I can't do any better then that. Even with all of that I still prefer my front loader , just not this particular one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had mine for 6 or 7 years and it needed to be repaired once. I do not use he soap (way too expensive). When I was shopping for mine the salesperson said I had to use special soap; I said there was no way I was buying it because I had lots of soap at home. We looked it up and you can use 1/2 the recommended amount of regular soap in your front loader. Never had a problem doing that. I agree with you Mary. I would NEVER trade my front loader. Water bills went way down, detergent lasting forever, and clothes spin so dry shortens drying time. I did not buy the dryer because it did not do enough to save money for the cost. Washing machine was well worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First you need to research a brand, every one has a weak point. I have an oversized one, love it. But we did have issues with it. It took them a long to time to finally do the right thing, the computer had to be replaced and has worked perfectly every since. I made them come out 3 times in one month, and then they changed teh computer, it was underwarranty. But from everyone who has this model that I know, I'm the only one that has had the issue. So they have replaced most of the parts in it, trying to avoid replacing the computer, so I think it is rebuilt to new..lol

The other thing is size. I went with over size. I have 4 kids. It's a time saver.

Look at features. Some have a built in water heater for sanitizing, depending on professions, this is a great feature. I bypassed it as I didn't need it. I no longer worked in health care and no longer have cloth diapers. SO.. didn't really need it. BUt some people do.

Everyone I know who has one, loves the frontloaded, down side is some have quirks, just like cars.
    Mom to 4 wonderful kiddos. Homeschooling mom
    • FFEF 2/6months
    • Retirement savings to start
    • Mortgage

DEBT, n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you all state what brands your machines are???

I'm leaning towards the Bosch because I LOVE all my other Bosch appliances.....but I haven't looked up or researched consumer Reports, etc.
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I also want a front loading washer/dryer set. For me, it's all about ease of use. To get items out of the bottom of my top-loading washer, I have to get on my tip-toes (keep in mind I am 4'10) and I almost broke my nose when the lid to my top-loader came crashing down on me.

All the other stuff like less water consumption, reduced drying time, are totally just added little perks. For me, I just want to be able to do laundry easily!
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We just bought a Top load high effiency (sp), but I'm tall and bending over or buying the "ped" was just too much. I do love the "using less water and detergent" thing, oh and the clothes come out so dry!!

My advice would be to make sure it's high effiency and look for a good deal!

Registered User old_lady_in_the_shoe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bought an LG front loading washer a bit over a year ago. I really didn't want to, as I felt like it was just too expensive but my hubby was "tired" of me always saying our clothes didnt' look and smell clean (no matter what temp the water was, or what detergent i used). So I went ahead and complained all the way and told him, that if I didn't like it after a few months i was going to bring it back, lol! Well, I have to say too that I am not a fan of change and I really, really didnt' want a new machine, but now I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this machine. It actually cleans our clothes and they always smell clean, no matter what! I use tons less detergent ( i use any regular detergent too), we use way less water too (we use about 15-18 gallons for a very large load where a regurlar top load averages about 45 gallons) and our clothes are much dryer and so they take less time to line dry or dry in the dryer. my LG also has a delay wash, which I love, as I can load the washer at night before I go to bed and set it and it will wash and be ready to take out when I am getting up in the morning.
    We looked at several different brands before we chose this one and I am pretty happy we did.
    We did not purchase the pedistal that it sits on, but it doens sit pretty low and I am only a bit over 5 ft tall. My hubby said he would build me a platform if I wanted and it would be way less expensive and work better in the long run.
    This machine is super and also washes very large loads, even larger than my heavy duty top loader. I can was a huge kingsize down comforter with no problems at all and it spins out with no issues either. I also love to wash all our pillows and it has no issue with them either, no out of balance issues or anything.
    Once you get one, you will think, "gosh, why did I wait so long" I know I did!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought one made by maytag.
    I don't buy the special detergent. I use 1/2 of the recommended amount of regular stuff.
    I save about 1000 gallons of water per month compared to the top loader we had.
    I haven't had anything break on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They are great if you have septic tank.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd strongly recommend going to the library and checking out the yearly Consumer Reports paperback. There are some good front-loading washers and some bad ones, some very bad ones.

I bought a Maytag washer in 1985 and replaced it only about 3 years ago with a Sears Kenmore front-loading washer, which I like a lot. My mother has a Bosch front-loader and has a terrible problem with a moldy smell. Another brand I've heard bad things about is an Asko.

Do your research and I think you'll be pleased.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much for all of the replies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Kenmore - love mine!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast