creative ways to give money as a gift
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default creative ways to give money as a gift

With the holidays coming, some people are giving money as a gift. What are some creative ways to "wrap" and give money other than simply tucked in a greeting card?

I've seen them folded like roses and fans and thought that was cute.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

“A monumental event can happen any day." --Peale
    "Leap and the net will appear.” --John Burroughs

Would the child you once were be inspired by the adult you've become?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My sister found a cool little puzzle box money holder. It is the size of a bill and is acrylic, so when you put the bill (whatever denomination) in, you can see it. But the recipient has to figure out how to open the box to get to the money. I thought that was kind of a cool way to give cash, because I like puzzles.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A friend of mine gave her husband cash one year so that he could get the specific car parts he wanted to customize his car.

She got all of the money in ones. She did origami with them after googling dollar bill origami ([ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=3jL4SuK9BY-AMsL18egF&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAgQBSgA&q=dollar+bill+origami&spell=1"]dollar bill origami - Google Search[/ame]).

My favorite was the one she folded up to look like a ring and put in a ring box.

Random thought: I love the way the google search formats in the thread posting. I think I had seen something similar in one of Greebo's posts and thought he was just being a smart butt.
    Last edited by McD; 11-09-2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: hmmm
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oooh, I can help with this one!

We give my son $100 each year for his birthday because his birthday is 3 days after Christmas and finding him Christmas gifts is next to impossible. The kid is so laid back, he really doesn't want anything. So, money is the perfect gift for him.

One year, we did the money puzzle the previous poster mentioned.

A couple of years ago, I got the $100 in fives, pulled all the tissues out of a small, cube tissue box, taped the fives end to end, rolled them up, stuffed them in the tissue box and taped a tissue to the end of the money roll. I made sure the tissue hung out slightly from the box. I found one of those plain white labels and wrote this:

"It SNOT your regular tissue",

made sure the tissue hung slightly from the box, then wrapped it. Imagine my son's confusion when he opened his beautifully wrapped gift and found a box of tissues! I said, "I'm sure you could just cry, go ahead and grab a tissue."

Now, imagine his surprise when he grabs the tissue and out comes money! It was such fun and everyone kept laughing and shouting, "Hey Joey, I need to blow my nose!"

Last year, I bought a 100 count box of security envelopes, put a $100 bill in one, then put it back into the box with the other envelopes. The poor kid had to open envelopes one after another to find his gift.

This year, I am thinking of buying a bunch of balloons and putting his money in one and fake money in the rest then blowing them all up. He'll have to keep popping balloons to find the real bill. It's either that or a scavenger hunt. I'm kind of leaning towards the balloons.
    Wife to Kenneth
    Mom to Joey, age 17
    Mom to Kendra, age 9

Money is 80% behavior, 20% head knowledge. It's what you do, not what you know. - Dave Ramsey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I crochet little stockings from Xmas yarn. I have had people buy them to use them to put either money or a gift card in.
    Then when empty they make a neat little ornament for the tree or to hang up somewhere else in the house.
    http://imageevent.com/ladytoysdream/stockings
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaMM View Post
    Oooh, I can help with this one!

We give my son $100 each year for his birthday because his birthday is 3 days after Christmas and finding him Christmas gifts is next to impossible. The kid is so laid back, he really doesn't want anything. So, money is the perfect gift for him.

One year, we did the money puzzle the previous poster mentioned.

A couple of years ago, I got the $100 in fives, pulled all the tissues out of a small, cube tissue box, taped the fives end to end, rolled them up, stuffed them in the tissue box and taped a tissue to the end of the money roll. I made sure the tissue hung out slightly from the box. I found one of those plain white labels and wrote this:

"It SNOT your regular tissue",

made sure the tissue hung slightly from the box, then wrapped it. Imagine my son's confusion when he opened his beautifully wrapped gift and found a box of tissues! I said, "I'm sure you could just cry, go ahead and grab a tissue."

Now, imagine his surprise when he grabs the tissue and out comes money! It was such fun and everyone kept laughing and shouting, "Hey Joey, I need to blow my nose!"

Last year, I bought a 100 count box of security envelopes, put a $100 bill in one, then put it back into the box with the other envelopes. The poor kid had to open envelopes one after another to find his gift.

This year, I am thinking of buying a bunch of balloons and putting his money in one and fake money in the rest then blowing them all up. He'll have to keep popping balloons to find the real bill. It's either that or a scavenger hunt. I'm kind of leaning towards the balloons.

I am going to use the tissue idea for my nephew! We have a $25 limit and he always wants video gamnes. They are about $60. I'll do his with 25 ones! Thanks for the cook idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I received money from my mom one year she had put it into a clear ornament. At an anniversary party they had a money tree, I suppose you could do something like that on a smaller scale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My dad rolled up 10 $10. bills and put them in new gloves once.
    Every year he would give my mom 1 silver dollar for each year they were married. 1 year it was sacagewia coins. There up to 60 years next year so I doubt he still does it LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I gave DD her birthday money once by going to yard sales and buying every lame CD I could find. I don't think I paid more than about ten cents for any of them. Then I put one $10 bill inside each CD case.

Actual cost of gift: $105

Watching her struggle to find something nice to say about the Dean Martin Christmas album: PRICELESS!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

one year we wrapped a box for ds and took 100 $1 bills and scrunched and messed them up as much as we could and filled the box with them...he had to sit and unroll, smooth, flatten & etc all of them....(you can really fill up a nice sized box with that many if you 'ball' them up).... he thought it was a hoot...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Registered User Holding Pattern's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know about that but when we give money, we like to give stacks of $2's. The grocery & bank see us coming and tellers go around asking for $2's...they're fun.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A money bonsia tree is really easy. Just get a bunch strong tree twings that have several shoots each, try to find interesting shapes and knots. secure twigs in a shallow flat planter in the shape of a Bonsia tree, keeping it flat and low, with hot glue. Fill planter with plaster of paris. When dry hot glue moss to top of plaster, adding a few smooth stones. Fold bills in a pleasing shape and attach to branches with floral wire. The more bills you add the more stunning the presentation.

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've seen money t-shirts, money in soap, money puzzle boxes, money "balls" mixed in the packing peanuts... I personally like the scavenger hunt idea for money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We do a lot of money leis - especially at graduation and birthday celebrations - very effective - you can use coins or bills. Coin leis tend to be a bit heavy - but very useful for laundry if they are quarters!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One year my Dad went and bought a pocketbook and filled it with 100 dollar bills and gave it to my mom. I think there was about 3000.00 in it but dad was smart he knew my mom and the day after Christmas she went and deposited it right back in their savings account Dad was no fool lol
    Married to Manny 25 years
    Self-employed with our own property management business E3 property solutions
    4 kids Rob Tom Jen Manny jr

2 great inlaws Kelly and Jason

a big bernese mt dog and a fluffy pomerian Loki and Foxy my fur babies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast