Does coffee go bad?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Does coffee go bad?

Does coffee ever go bad?

We keep our coffee grounds in the fridge. We don't drink coffee much But when you want it you want it. KWIM

It says on the bottom best by 11/2008. I opened it and it still smells like coffee.

Do I need to throw it out and get more or is it still good to use?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This gets tricky... especially when you start checking those shelf-life charts, and then compare it to what folks actually do.

The bottom-line is yes, it "goes bad". The essential oils in coffee can go rancid. Keep in mind, oils don't have to smell rancid to be rancid. It keeps longer if you vacuum-seal it in a canister or bag and then refrigerate or freeze it, which keeps the essential oils from mixing with oxygen. Freezing slows down the degredation of oils more than refrigeration, and both work better for storage than room temperature.

Coffee beans, just like whole grains/beans/seeds of all kinds, when the protective coating on it gets destroyed during milling, the essential oils in these foods are exposed to oxygen and quickly degrade. "Coffee Experts" will tell you freshly ground coffee is only at it's peek for brewing for 3-hours.

Coffee is often vacuum packed to lengthen shelf-life and prevent it from oxidizing. Oxygen is the enemy of most foods. Rancid oils are body damaging free-radicals.

If it were me, I'd toss it.

Here's what it says at this web site:
    http://www.slashfood.com/2006/03/30/...-pantry-items/

#
    Ground coffee - 2 years unopened, 2 weeks opened (in refrigerator)
    #
    Instant coffee - 1 year unopened, 3 months opened

Another site: Ground Coffee Shelf Life

"Ground coffee will keep in the freezer for about six months. It will keep at room temperature for about one month."

So even the "experts" don't agree.

You might find this research interesting:
    http://www.asic-cafe.org/pdf/abstract/C002.pdf

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What Grainlady said.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree when you want Coffee YOU WANT COFFEE!! I had the same problem as you. I would buy the smallest container of the ground beans and then after about a year throw away the coffee (keeping the canister for other uses). Nescafe has started single serving pouches of instant coffee thats pretty good. A small package is $.98 at walmart so you don't feel as bad if you have to throw some of it out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since you don't drink it often I would buy a bag of beans and store them in the freezer. That's what we do, even though we drink coffee every day. Fresh ground is a nice treat. Coffee can go "stale". To me it smells stale and the taste is horrible!

I get my beans at the Salvage store. You can get cheaper beans like 8 o clock coffee beans or get Starbucks beans at the regular grocery store. You will have to look for a small grinder.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have had my coffee go stale before and it's gross...it smells like burned tobacco, and tastes burnt to me. I drink coffee every day, but only one cup, so often times when I buy a large container it goes stale before I have a chance to go through it all. I agree with the lady above who talked about the single serve nescafe. I got a free sample of them in the mail and they are good and easy to prepare, they will stay fresh longer and are relatively inexpensive...also because it's a newer product there is probably some good coupons floating around somewhere for them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

K, I'm going the opposite of everyone. Yes, it MAY go bad, but in a year??? I've used it and couldn't tell the difference. I use Folgers only tho. I stockpile it and it's never been an issue.

QUOTE ""Ground coffee will keep in the freezer for about six months. It will keep at room temperature for about one month."END QUOTE from article
    I have 8 of the large canisters ( not opened ) stockpiled now and plan on adding a couple more. I will guarantee that no one will tell the difference in just bought and the last one if they didn't know dates. Mine has never been kept in freezer. Just dark and room temp.

Have you had it stored in the sunlight? Doubt it.
    In the heat? Doubt it.

Just make a pot and if it dosen't taste right then throw it away. You'll know. But if I lived next door I'd say give it to me, don't toss it. Bet you it's still fine.
    Last edited by NikoSan999; 12-16-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge/October
    $103.86

October/ Grocery
    /Goal $200.00 Total $63.25

Eat Out No More Oct
    Goal 20
    Accomp/25

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/14

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Agree with NikoSan99. Try it. Tastes bad throw it out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    Does coffee ever go bad?

We keep our coffee grounds in the fridge. We don't drink coffee much But when you want it you want it. KWIM

It says on the bottom best by 11/2008. I opened it and it still smells like coffee.

Do I need to throw it out and get more or is it still good to use?
    GL had some good points but I wouldn't toss it. Since you have kept it in the refer. it could be okay. It will 'smell bad'/smell rancid if it is truly bad.......make a pot and see what it tastes like. I 'import' the coffee that I like when I go to So. Idaho, so I have mine longer than 6 months, but I keep it in the freezer. These are whole beans.

You mentioned 'coffee grounds' but I am guessing you meant ground coffee............try it before you toss it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, it can get rancid. But if it does, don't just toss it....you can still use it for other purposes:

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/loun...eans-1857.html

http://lifehacker.com/5260189/use-yo...fleas-and-more

http://www.sustainableenterprises.co...coffeefert.htm

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would probably do the taste test. i haven't had any go bad and we do not drink it that often.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LB - those articles were so interesting - cannot believe all that you can do with the coffee beans and grounds. I'm going to try a facial scrub tomorrow with ours. Mahalo!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with you! I now have 10 cans of coffee stockpiled + a couple of bags of the "good stuff". I have beans in the freezer, also, that are still good.