Where's the best place to get an eye exam?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Where's the best place to get an eye exam?

I need to get glasses like yesterday. I keep missing my tea cup putting the spoon beside instead of inside of my cup. I'm getting nervous about driving.

I need a place that is good and inexpensive. I've looked online and found America's Best. They have an eye exam and 2 pairs of glasses for $69. I also looked at Wal-mart's site but they don't give prices.

I'm unsure which way to go here, price is important, as is quality of exam and frames. I have no more then $100 for both the exam and glasses.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hope you get an answer on this Polly. We use our independent eye doctor that I've gone to for 33 years - no help I know.

Never heard of America's Best - are they a chain?

Let us know how you make out!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hubby used to have his done at LensCrafters. He's since gotten the Lasik surgery and is saving a fortune on glasses.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to say Costco but think it would run over $100 for BOTH. The exam is under that and then you could get your RX. and order on-line.

The last time I was at WM, it cost more than $100 for both. For my area, I liked Costco DR. better.

You may have to go to Lenacrafters or America's Best for under $100 for both. Be sure to get your prescription....here is a link to a prior discussion about ordering glasses on-line once you have your RX.

[ame="http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118732"]Zennioptical - Frugal Village Forums[/ame]

Good luck......

Registered User old_lady_in_the_shoe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually find a small "hometown" eye dr...and the visit is usually $75 or so...I order my glasses from 39dollarglasses. com ...
    I have paid some serious $$ for glasses and have found these to be of good quality and they come quickly. You just pick the pair out online, and fill in your perscription. I just ask the dr to write it out for me. It was no problem at all and they arrived within a week or so. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

America's Best sounds like the best way to go. I have used Wal-mart for an eye exam. I think it was $49 just for the exam. Have also used sears optical which was about the same price.

America's Best seems to have the best prices. Hopefully you will not need bifocals. They seem to be more expensive to purchase.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH went to Sears Optical last year. I forget what it cost but they were reasonable and they gave him his prescription so he could go anywhere for glasses. He ordered them online and was very happy with them. You can get bifocals this way much cheaper.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gosh, does missing my tea cup mean I need bifocals???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No Polly. Just wait for your exam to see!! Most people who need bifocals in later years (not that you're there yet) are those who have been wearing/needing glasses before hand.

My first pair of glasses was bifocals - in the third grade!! I now wear contacts - one for near and one for far distance.

Let us know what you decide to do!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know your budget is tight but don't mess around w/ your eyes Polly. Do you have any medical issue w/ your eyes? My dd's are covered under medical so our exam is rolled into that w/ her. If you have no ins. maybe Costco or Sams club or Walmart. i don't think $100. willdo it for both though. We paid $188. for DS glasses after ins. and $400. for DH after ins. and the exam only cost $10. out of pocket after ins.

Do you currently have glasses? Are the frames reuseable??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh Maui, I've worn glasses most of my life. I just have not had any new glasses in some time. My old script was never right and I just put them in the drawer and didn't bother fixing them because I had already sunk $285 in just the exam and lenses, I reused my frames, and that was with insurance! Oh my, bifocals will certainly make the price rise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW- I wish I had that option right now, but I don't. Things are just too tight and this is coming out of Christmas money that was gifted to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Didn't mean to scare you. Should have said DH's glasses are gradient trifocals and he is blind in one eye. He also get glass and has it processed for hardening.
    I would suggest getting the exam. At least you will know what you are dealing w/ and can kinda price frames and lenses for your prescription. You can take your exam results anywhere too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tha last time I had my exam done was at walmart and I bought two pairs at America's best. I had a problem with one pair of the glasses and I took them back and they replaced them with a new pair.
    Willy Wonka: Good morning, stars shine. The Earth says “Hello”.

NEEDLE ART CHALLENGE dog sweaters-2
    my sweaters-2

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just got mine and dh got them for the efirst time. We went through Vision USA. As long as one personin the household is working and you are not covered by eye insurance you should qualify. They set us up with an appointment nearby, got the exam and then the glasses were ready in three days all for nothing. I hadn't had glasses for almost ten years so I was ready for a new set. Oh I forgot and you can't have had an exam in the last two years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast