How to tip the newspaper delivery guy(s)

View Poll Results: Do you tip your newspaper delivery person at Chistmas, and how much?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I don't tip him/her

7 53.85%
  • $5-$10

3 23.08%
  • $10-$20

2 15.38%
  • $20+

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How to tip the newspaper delivery guy(s)

I was reading an article earlier today, don't ask me where because I don't remember LOL. It was about Christmas/Holiday tipping. I live in an apartment building and I subscribe to two different Sunday newspapers (for the Sunday coupons ) The drivers obviously come by really early in the morning, and if it weren't for the fact I have 2 different delivery guys I'd just leave an envelope taped to the door. I don't plan on leaving them an awful lot (and one of them has missed us SEVERAL times in the past 6 months), but I do want to leave them something. How in the world do I go about doing this without being up at 5 am to personally give it to each one of them?

I guess another question is, how many of you tip the newspaper delivery person and how much? Ooo, I'll make an anonymous poll for that

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't get the newspaper, but I wouldn't tip if I did. I don't tip the USPS, I don't tip the UPS/FedEx, I don't tip the garbage man, I don't tip the Brakes Plus guy, and I don't tip my grocery store cashier.

As far as your situation, you may just have to get up at 5 AM. The gesture may mean more than simply giving them a small amount of money for the sketchy service they provide.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
    As far as your situation, you may just have to get up at 5 AM. The gesture may mean more than simply giving them a small amount of money for the sketchy service they provide.
    I agree - they'll be surprised you're even awake. Then you can FLASH THEM for a tip

(a smile you perv! as you hand them a box of chocolate or baked goods )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmmm....I think I'm even more unsure now than I was before I posted the question! lol

I'm not one who tips people at fast food places (if they're not waiting on me at a table I don't see why I should), or grocery store cashiers (do people ACTUALLY do that?) but I kind of thought it was common practice to tip mail carriers, babysitters, whatever....around Christmastime. Based on my poll so far, it doesn't seem that way.

Trust me, I'm not really fond of the idea of getting up at 5AM to tip a newspaper guy that only delivers the paper 90% of the time so maybe I won't bother.... I guess the only reason I even posed the question is because I have 2, only one of which I'd actually tip if he were the only one delivering. Heck, that may be part of the reason I WANT to give him a tip; the fact that the other guy can't seem to get it right. I guess I feel like since he's doing a good job, I should. Ah well, keep the suggestions/thoughts coming anyway

Other info.
    We're on the second floor and it'd be so inefficient (read: stupid) to go past our unit twice that I can't even give him a break and assume he's seeing the competition's newspaper and thinking he already delivered it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For the record, I'm kind of a jerk, and cheap. That's probably why I don't tip the garbageman. If you want to tip, by all means do it, and feel good that you did. It might make your deliveryman feel better about all of the other people like me he delivers to that don't tip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL, thanks mndtrp. I'm still considering it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't get the newspaper so I don't tip for it. I do tip the garbage guys and if I have extra garbage put a 12 pack on it (never charged extra that way).

I usually leave a treat for postal carrier such as candy or wine.

Any chance you have a doorman or anything that could catch the proper carrier and give it to him?

Not tipping Fedex or UPS was listed above. I don't know about Fedex but hubby works for UPS and he is not supposed to take cash tips.

Super duper Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    . I do tip the garbage guys and if I have extra garbage put a 12 pack on it (never charged extra that way).

You do want to be careful doing this because some of the garbage guys are under 21.

There is no dignity
    quite so impressive,
    and no independence
    quite so important,
    as living within your means.
    ― Calvin Coolidge

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    I don't get the newspaper so I don't tip for it. I do tip the garbage guys and if I have extra garbage put a 12 pack on it (never charged extra that way).

Any chance you have a doorman or anything that could catch the proper carrier and give it to him?

Not tipping Fedex or UPS was listed above. I don't know about Fedex but hubby works for UPS and he is not supposed to take cash tips.
    Nope, we don't have a doorman so that won't work.

Yeah, USPS isn't supposed to take cash either...and there's a whole slew of rules on what they're allowed to take. Your gifts of candy or wine are supposedly fine as long as they "appear" (notice the subjective term) to be under $20. If they appear to be more expensive, they are supposed to share them with the rest of the employees at the post office I guess. Also, they can't take anything that appears to have intrinsic value; so no money. I'll probably leave our mail lady a small box of chocolates or something. I am making my dad peanut brittle for Xmas, so maybe I'll just make a little extra.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    You do want to be careful doing this because some of the garbage guys are under 21.
    You make a good point Russ! I know we are ok though as dh used to manage for this company. They hire 23 and up only (insurance reasons). In our state you can get the class b cdl required to drive the garbage truck at 18 but good luck getting a job because there are too many driving restrictions until the driver is 21 for most copany to want you on top of the higher ins costs to the company because of your age.

That could be very different in another state so good job pointing it out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't believe in tipping someone for doing what they were hired to do in the first place. Call me cheap. Praise, acknowledgment and expressions of gratitude are shared verbally each time I felt it was deserved - on the spot. There are rare times I do tip but thats on a case by case situation. Also its usually to someone I have a rapport with which would be that Fed Ex/UPS guy. Just b/c I don't tip doesn't mean I don't appreciate their service either. Think of all the people you'd have to tip if you enjoyed dealing with them - bank tellers, secretaries, teachers, bus drivers, cashiers, deli guy, gas station attendant, the collections agency guy you're used to dealing with on the phone daily (j/k) etc etc. Where do you draw the line? KWIM?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Garbage men, newspapers guys and delivery people provide a regular service where there's a lot of wiggle room as to how well the service is done. They also spend a lot of time in harsh weather and at odd hours doing things that make our lives easier but that most of us wouldn't be willing to do. I'm cheap so I personally don't tip them all, but I can see the logic.

If you want to tip the newspaper guy, call the distribution center and ask how it's done. You can probably just let them know that there will be an envelope for the delivery guy taped somewhere discreet and they can let him know to pick it up. With my old paper, they use to have a write in space on the bill where you could add a tip. I'm sure you don't have to get up at 5am.
    ~Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.~

~The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.~

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our garbage collectors are city employees, therefore are not allowed to accept tips, gifts etc.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Our garbage collectors are city employees, therefore are not allowed to accept tips, gifts etc.
    I wondered about the whole "city employee" thing. Yours aren't allowed to accept anything at all? USPS can't accept money or anything "appearing" to be worth a lot, but they can still accept small gifts, baked goods, ect. Of course they're federal employees. We are billed for trash through the city, because it is attached to our water/sewer utility in my city. I honestly haven't even considered tipping the garbage collectors, though, because there are only 5 large trash bins for my entire complex. I know where my parents are at in the country, they are on well water and they can hire one of two or three different companies for garbage collection. I do remember my mom baking cookies and giving them to the garbage collectors and plow guys at Christmastime, as well as the mail lady. The plow guys were employed by the state though. It's no wonder there's no general consensus on who you should tip, since some of them you aren't really allowed to tip at all. Some of them are federal employees, some state, some city and some none of the above.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Follow him after work to his house. To make sure no other employees see him taking anything from you, wait until after dark. Do not use the front door, knock on the bedroom window.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast