What do you think about this? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was thinking about this and thought back to my oldest and the first elementary school he was in. (we moved in the middle of 3rd grade) They had mandatory snack assignments for the kids once a month. You provided the snack and juice for the entire class. Back then of you could bring in cupcakes for a snack. They also had a mandatory supplies. They had a chart on the wall where each child's name was and the listed supplies and they were checked off as you brought them in. It was there for all the class and parents to see. Very embarrassing for students whose parents could not afford to do snack or provide supplies. That said, the school provided a full on breakfast every morning for all students on the reduced or free lunch program. No child ever went hungry. Why they felt the need to out the poor families I can not say. But I certainly thought it in poor taste. I'm guessing the mandatory snacks are to prevent embarrassment for the children whose families can not provide.

BookLover- I can say that there have been certain soup kitchens where I helped serve the poor that I've seen the same demanding behavior from adults. It seemed that the kitchens that served the people who truly did not know where their next meal was coming from were the most grateful for what they were offered. I once served at the Manna House and they were the most appreciative bunch of people you ever did see. All the working poor, dressed in their uniforms coming in on their lunch hour and the elderly. But I also served at a well meaning Mennonite church and they were served as patrons like at a restaurant. We all went to their tables and gave them a list of the days offerings, they ordered and we brought them their meals. I never in my life (before or since) have seen a more demanding, ungrateful bunch of people. They had us running like chickens with our heads cut off. One even snapping his fingers at me across the room because I did not refill his coffee fast enough. And wouldn't you know it was the first time I took my youngest to help at a soup kitchen. We've always been really hot on helping in our community and expect the same from our kids. He was so excited because he finally was old enough to volunteer. I didn't even know what to say to him as we drove home that day. Thankfully his next experience in serving the community was much better. He's learned that some are truly needy and grateful, while others feel entitled and are demanding. But he's also learned that what matters most is where his heart is at.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my middle two kids were in 2nd grade they did have a snack time, and we did provide a snack for the class. The teachers sent home a calendar at the beginning of the school year that showed our assigned snack days for the school year. That made it easy to budget in and watch for sale items for our snack days.
    Challenges

EF $3975.00

debt:
    medical bill $890/$6000

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Morning Snack time is built into our middle school schedule. There are snacks to purchase, students can bring in bulk items and keep it in the classroom pantry, pull their own individual item out of their backpack, and there is a fridge available as well. Its quite a production to see the kids stop and have snack, kind of amusing. Kids will trade, share, and talk for 15 minutes then its all packed away and back to their studies.

I don't know if they require a donation, though, but the parents are notified that there is a defined snack time every morning. I'd ship off a box of whatever was on clearance and not think another thing of it but everyone is different.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honestly, I'm not seeing what the big deal is. In some of the elementary school grades in our area this is common practice as with filing so many kids in and out of lunch some kids are not eating until late and their concentration is not peak or are eating lunch at 10:30 am and are hungry again before the end of the day. I do not know anyone who cannot afford a $1 bag of pretzels to send in once a month- maybe I'm just fortunate, but honestly, I don't know anyone who could not come up with $1 over the course of a month to provide this. If I knew this was a problem for someone I would gladly pick up an extra bag. We have done it both ways- providing our own child's snack or sending in snacks. I must say though that it was never mandatory that everyone turn in a snack once a month. The teacher sent an email telling us when the snacks were low and people would send more in. If you couldn't give, you just wouldn't. I know that often people who cannot give as much financially do more volunteerism. I know some families who cannot volunteer don't mind sending in more items as that is how they can help. I am not a huge fan of my child eating extra carbs and startches and sugar either, but I can figure that they are eating a stratchy snack at school and balance that out over the course of a day with other items at other meals. It just isn't that big of a deal. I do like that they are doing it for a whole grade- it is hard when they do it just by classroom and have that inconsistency. At our schools unfortunately we have had more and more restrictions as to what is allowed over the past few years. It has always been no homemade foods (to share with a class), but now food allergies are also looked at so there is a list we can choose off of that includes only about 15 items. We are not allowed birthday treats anymore as of this year too. I'm with those of you who say pick your battles. There will be plenty of other things that arise...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I probably couldn't stand the unknown............I would call the teacher with my questions.

I am all for sharing too......and helping those "struggling" but if I fed my kid fruit.........then that is a whole other issue.

And.........what kid WANTS the same thing everyday for a snack for a whole month??? I wouldn't.......mine didn't.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

interesting debate and honestly I'm not sure how I would feel about it, even after reading all the posts.

My son is starting 1st grade and we do have to pack a lunch and a snack.

I think I would be okay with the once a month/large quantity thing. We usually pack gold fish/peanuts/ or pretzels anyway. I'm going to concentrate on getting the nutrients in the "lunch" part of the day, not necessarily the snack part. but oddly enough, I wouldn't want him to drink orange juice every day. I would prefer water or milk as a drink, not juice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by OOwl View Post
    Telephus, I don't think anyone here would want ANY child going hungry but I doubt that is the case here at all. I think it's the compulsory nature of the request that is in question. Anyway, -I- choose what "charities" I contribute to, not my school. For those of us on a budget, yes, that $2 a week snack DOES factor in considerably, especially when there are so many extra expenses now for kids in school. To many families, that extra snack fee would be a real hardship. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but we aren't talking about providing food to starving children here; and I don't think anyone on this board would be considered "heartless," as you put it, for having an issue with having their budget compromised. Like I stated, my kids are finished with school. They didn't even have "snack time" then, and they grew up healthy and productive. Gosh, I wonder how. . .

If your budget is compromised by spending $2 per month on a box of snacks, then that's why the rest of us are spending $2 a month sending them in - so your children can have snack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In my day we didn't get snacks at school, but then they didn't know what they know now that a child that is hungry doesn't do as well in school as a child that is not.
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by fernykins View Post
    In my day we didn't get snacks at school, but then they didn't know what they know now that a child that is hungry doesn't do as well in school as a child that is not.
    Fern
    When I was a child we got a carton of milk everyday through sixth grade. In sixth grade many of us drank two cartons.

Had a milk ticket just like a lunch ticket. Everyone drank milk at that time of the day.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my DS was in school, they had snack time but only in Kindergarten.
    DD had snack time until the middle of the 3rd grade...both of my kids have turned out fine...not saying they should or shouldn't have snack...just honestly, it's not a life altering event if they don't...of course, that's just my opinion from my experiences..Guess I'm on the fence about this one.
    With my Son, I sent him individual snacks everyday...but with my Daughter, I had to send large packs of snacks every other week due to many of the other parents wouldn't bother. Don't know if it was lack of financials or laziness that prevented it, but in order for my little one to have a snack, I had to send enough for the entire class...That got old really fast, but I was homeroom Mom...Guess that means I was the only sucker those years huh? lol :/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, and if you are on assistance such as free & reduced lunch for your kids, talk to the teacher and see if this can be waived. Our teachers would totally waive this sort of thing if they knew the family was already struggling.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here the snacks are only given in kindergarten. The teacher would send a calendar home with the number of students and your turn to provide snacks.It was usually once a month.My children were so proud to have their day. The school served the milk or water.We baked oatmeal cookies alot and had them bagged into servings of two cookies for each child.(Sometimes the teacher passed them out if I was rushed and put them in a container.)Occasionally the kids would say that someone forgot snacks- in that case the teachers went to the cafeteria and got graham crackers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well,I wish no kid to go w/o however. We can provide certain snacks for our kids thru careful planning. I don't want my kids to eat someone elses idea of nutrition though. Or go w/o because someone else didn't provide what they were supposed to. So,I don't mind bringing in something once a month however,I would still want my kids to have a proper snack daily that I supplied. I feel like I'm always being "equalized". Kinda sick of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Telephus44 View Post
    This is my first year wading into this kind of stuff, mostly because my son is finally starting preschool. It's the same arguement with all the school supplies - why do I have to send in tissues for other kids to use?

Personally, I have no problem with it. It is cheaper and more environmentally friendly for me to send in 1 large bag of pretzels than to send in 20 or so individual snacks over the course of a month. It would probably expose them to new things, too - I'm sure other parents buy different snacks that I would. I don't know any school so far that FORCES child to eat the snack, so if you wanted to send your own, or if your child has allergies, then they would still be allowed to take their own.

And if someone's whining that they don't want to spend $2 on a bag of pretzels because it's not their responsibility to feed other kids - that's just heartless. This isn't liking asking you to send a blank check that can get wasted on stupid overhead. It's actual food that kids eat. Sorry if you don't want to help others, but I HATE that attitude. Especially in times like these we all need to pitch in and help each other, and if you can't pick up a bag of pretzels or box of crackers - then yes, you're better off homeschooling where you only have to think about your own.
    Wow...I wasnt whining...I'm not heartless...and unfortunately I dont have the means to homeschool...I'm not rich...I dont buy individual prepackaged snacks...I'm on a very strict budget since my husband passed 4 months ago which forced me to cut my hours at work while still having to provide for myself,our son and the child I'm pregnant with...I have extra expenses with this pregnancy due to pregnancy induced thyroid issues + the cost of prenatals...
    If I came off heartless and whiny then I'm sorry but I was simply just interested in others opinions...
    I did end up contributing to the "snack pool" but quite honestly I dont feel its my responsibility to feed others children when Im struggling to feed my own...How is that fair?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by alarosalpn View Post
    Wow...I wasnt whining...I'm not heartless...and unfortunately I dont have the means to homeschool...I'm not rich...I dont buy individual prepackaged snacks...I'm on a very strict budget since my husband passed 4 months ago which forced me to cut my hours at work while still having to provide for myself,our son and the child I'm pregnant with...I have extra expenses with this pregnancy due to pregnancy induced thyroid issues + the cost of prenatals...
    If I came off heartless and whiny then I'm sorry but I was simply just interested in others opinions...
    I did end up contributing to the "snack pool" but quite honestly I dont feel its my responsibility to feed others children when Im struggling to feed my own...How is that fair?
    If you send a snack for your child each day, and your children do not partake of the community snack then you have done what you are supposed to do as a parent. I would feel no shame in sending for your child only.I could not do it that way( I tried) because my children wanted to eat things the other mothers sent. Those Twinkie moms were really popular.Fruit Moms and Cracker and Cheese Moms were not.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast