Wagner cast iron cookware is it a deal?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Wagner cast iron cookware is it a deal?

I know a person who is selling 3 wagner cast iron skillets and a dutch oven for $100, is this a deal skillets is an 8", 6" and a 10" plus the dutch oven with a lid..

Spirit Deer I would also love your comments along with everyone else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would definitely get it. I have a couple of Wagner and Griswold and they are the best. That is a good price , if in good conditioned and seasoned. Though I usually remove the seasoning and do my own. I use coconut oil

You can't beat an old Griswold or Wagner in my opinion.

WAGNER, designed by Bernard P. Wagner in 1881 for The Wagner Mfg. Co., Sidney, Ohio, USA, America's first and oldest premium cookware manufacturer. These legendary craftsman are proud recipients of more Gold Medals and International Awards than any other cookware manufacturer in the world. Additionally, many books have been published about Wagner and Griswold which has the largest collectors following of any cookware, true testimony to Wagner's heritage of innovation, design and quality craftsmanship.

They have been in business with a good reputation for 122 years. Not sure where they source their iron or work is done now , but if vintage I would definitely get.
    The unparalleled Wagner advantage begins with yet another proprietary blend of metals developed just for cast iron cookware. ( from American Culinary)

I decided to bring the other set we talked about back ( Red Stone) , and get more vintage cast. I might not be a popular opinion with some that use cast, but works for me best. I found in my research the cast made in China is made a little different and might not stand up to heat as well. Also to be honest I am afraid of where they source their iron from. Now I know some will say that is all you can get, it is fine etc. Whatever is best for your family, but we don't need a health concern or a worry to add to our list but works best for each family is best for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YES!!! Buy it!

I collect Wagner and Griswold.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd be careful. There are a lot of Wagner reproduction pieces out there. Wagner, Griswold, and another company I can't think of offhand merged a few decades ago in the mid-twentieth century, so Wagner and Griswold are no longer being made except for some reproduction stuff, which I think was manufactured in the mid-1990's. That's part of what drives the price up, because they're very collectable. Would I pay $100 for 3 frying pans and a kitchen-style DO? No. But I'm not a serious collector, and I already have a good selection of pans in those sizes, so I don't need them. I'm also not very brand-loyal when it comes to just about anything. I don't know what the 'book value' is on those pieces. You could check eBay listings that have ended to get some idea of what the street price currently is.

I have a few Wagner repro frying pans, and I have to confess I like them, but they are among my least-used pans. The sides are lower than other pans I have, and I tend to use the pans with higher sides more often. Maybe I'm just a slob, but deeper pans = less of a mess on the stove top for me.

Wagner also produced cast aluminum cookware. I have some of that and really like it.

I live on the Iron Range, so called because of all the iron mines in the area. A lot of the mines here are partially owned by Chinese interests and a lot of the taconite (low grade iron ore) produced here is being shipped to China. So it's entirely possible there are Chinese pots and pans being produced there from US ore, although of course I can't say that for sure. By the same token, for the pots being produced in the US, I have no idea where they're getting their raw materials and how safe or unsafe that might be. For all I know, they're importing Chinese ore to foundries in the US. Heck, maybe it's being shipped from here on the Range to China and back to the US again. I've heard of stupider things happening with world trade.

I'm also unsure what the manufacturing standards were in the USA decades ago, when it came to using hazardous materials to produce cookware. All things considered, I don't really have an opinion about the safety of much of anything because there are too many facts I just don't know.

As for Chinese iron not standing up to heat as well, I routinely clean cast iron down to the bare metal by running it through the cleaning cycle in my stove oven. I think that brings the temp to about 800 degrees. So far, the only thing I've ever had damaged at those high temps is a cast iron griddle, which was actually a vintage piece. I also cook a lot with camp-style Dutch ovens using charcoal in direct contact with the metal. I'm not sure how hot charcoal gets, but since it's glowing red-hot, it's pretty darn hot. Some of my iron is Chinese (Camp Chef brand) and I've never had a problem. Nor has the hot blue flame on my stove range, camp stoves, or camper stove ever damaged anything even with prolonged contact with the flames.

I also have a lot of no-name cast iron I've collected over the years, and the truth is, it cooks just as well as the big-name stuff.

Cast iron is getting harder to find at garage sales because there's been a resurgence in cast iron popularity in the past few years. That's also driving up the prices for vintage stuff.

If you're not stuck on the idea of vintage CI, then check Amazon for new Lodge or Camp Chef cast iron (which will eventually be vintage stuff. I have pieces less than ten years old that are already highly collectible.) Lodge is made in the USA in Tennessee, Camp Chef is made in China but the company is based in Utah. Both make quality products and are the only two new brands I would buy sight unseen. Amazon has good prices and free shipping. Walmart also carries some Lodge pieces, and both brands are often available at sporting goods places and stores like Tractor Supply or farm stores.

I recently acquired a Lodge Combo Cooker and IMO it's the most bang for the buck if you don't have any cast iron. The deep pan is a chicken fryer, stockpot, anything you need a deep pan for, while the more shallow pan is good for frying eggs and the usual frying pan uses. The two together can be used as a camp oven with the addition of some sort of stand underneath. It's a very versatile system and very well-made.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMama View Post
    I would definitely get it. I have a couple of Wagner and Griswold and they are the best. That is a good price , if in good conditioned and seasoned. Though I usually remove the seasoning and do my own. I use coconut oil

You can't beat an old Griswold or Wagner in my opinion.

WAGNER, designed by Bernard P. Wagner in 1881 for The Wagner Mfg. Co., Sidney, Ohio, USA, America's first and oldest premium cookware manufacturer. These legendary craftsman are proud recipients of more Gold Medals and International Awards than any other cookware manufacturer in the world. Additionally, many books have been published about Wagner and Griswold which has the largest collectors following of any cookware, true testimony to Wagner's heritage of innovation, design and quality craftsmanship.

They have been in business with a good reputation for 122 years. Not sure where they source their iron or work is done now , but if vintage I would definitely get.
    The unparalleled Wagner advantage begins with yet another proprietary blend of metals developed just for cast iron cookware. ( from American Culinary)

I decided to bring the other set we talked about back ( Red Stone) , and get more vintage cast. I might not be a popular opinion with some that use cast, but works for me best. I found in my research the cast made in China is made a little different and might not stand up to heat as well. Also to be honest I am afraid of where they source their iron from. Now I know some will say that is all you can get, it is fine etc. Whatever is best for your family, but we don't need a health concern or a worry to add to our list but works best for each family is best for them.
    Thank you, I will get the money out of the bank, my DH checked it out, he said it was in good condition. I will pick it up on the way to do an MRI for DH it is on the way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post
    YES!!! Buy it!

I collect Wagner and Griswold.
    The seller is a good friend and reliable he sold us our Coca cola clock, etc. Thanks I will be buying it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

Here is exactly what we got, and what the writing says on it.

The Dutch Oven it is a Wagner #8
    on the lid it says Drip drop baster

under the lid it says Pat Dec 4-17, mch 8-21, mch 14-22, feb 10-20

#5 skillet Griswold
    on the bottom of the skillet says Griswold
    Erie, PA
    A

#8 skillet Wagner hardly used but does need some reasoning done and will be great
    10" made in the USA
    Then on bottom has the letter D

the last skillet is a Wagner also hardly used but also in great condition both very litte rust.
    11 3/4" skillet
    Made in the Usa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations!
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman