I want to make applesauce for dinner - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    So you only need a tiny bit of water? Don't cover the apples with water coz they have so much in them naturally>?
    I use very little water ~ maybe 1/4 cup ~ just enough to keep the apples from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
    Nancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We own an organic fruit distribution company and work directly with a few small family orchards in Eastern WA (apple capital of the world). Our apples are very fresh and very economical.

When I do 8-10 apples in the crockpot I typically get about a quart of applesauce. Maybe a little more. As said previously, I know exactly what's in it, I know it's organic (apples are number one on the dirty dozen list) and the taste is beyond compare.

I also use my own homemade applesauce to make applebutter.

If I'm making a huge batch, I don't use the crock pot, I simply dice up the apples, peel, core, seeds and all and toss them in a huge stockpot with some water. I boil them for about 20 minutes or so until they'd re soft. Then I scoop it all into my food mill attachment to my Kitchenaid. Much more efficient

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Someone already mentioned a foodmill, but I just wanted to reiterate: the easiest way to make a lot of applesauce is to get a foodmill (cheap, hand crank one is perfect). No peeling or coring necessary, seriously. I do halve or quarter them, and then cook with a little water until they are soft. Run through the foodmill and, voila! Applesauce. I think processing with the peels and cores adds great flavor, too.

And like others have noted, for the best price for the finished product, only make applesauce when you get a great deal on a large quantity, or even better, free ones from someone's tree. Use the holey, overripe ones that no one else wants.

Kara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nancycg56 View Post
    This is how I do mine ~ I quarter the apples, leaving the skin on, cook the same way and put them through the food mill. I add a little sugar and cinnamon and it's done The red skins left on the apples make the sauce pink
    I don't peel mine either; I'm lazy. The food mill takes care of the peels and the seeds. I often make applesauce with the apple cores when I am slicing apples for dehydrating.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Only one person here. Whenever I see some slightly old apples on managers special I will purchase them. Then I make my own applesauce by peeling and taking out the core. Then cut up in one inch pieces. I put them in a microwaveable glass bowl with a little water and cinnamon. Then I cover loosely with a lid and microwave on high until the apples breakdown. You can take the apples out of the microwave and stir vigorously with a spoon. It makes enough applesauce for me for a week.

Sometimes I will skip the stirring part and eat the apples like they are just baked.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always make applesauce in the fall and store it in the freezer. It turns out great. Around here we can often get free apples from our neighbors trees. Have to cut away some bad spots; but since they're free, it' worth it.
    Too Blessed to be Stressed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some good advice here SS...........but one more thing.....to each his/her own taste--- but don't be afraid to mix apples.

I will often just cook up whatever apples I have on hand, if they are getting close to 'mushy' and I don't want to dehydrate them.
    Each batch will come out a little different.......have had some mighty tasty sauce!!!!

Also, use GOOD CINNAMON for the flavoring.......if you like cinnamon. I use lots and refuse to use the cheap stuff in my applesauce..........BTDT. It does make a difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a fruit bin in the fridge full of apples, mixed variety. Some were getting kinda old , I cooked them in the crock pot -delicious!
    I put them in an old applesauce jar that I had saved and put it in the fridge- lid tight.

Chunky Homemade Applesauce Slow Cooker Recipe From Crock-Pot

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did it

homemade applesauce.jpg

I used a mini chopper to get it all creamy coz that's all I had.
    Used 3 red, 2 green (peeled) dash of water, sprinkled w/cinn, 4 hrs on med in the crockpot.

And it's yummy!

You guys rock
    Now I will never pay those high applesauce prices again...
    Thanks!

...and- when I went to pick up my poop for the garden today at the animal rescue they have apple trees there on the farm. They said I can have all the apples I want this summer (and pears too).... God, I love my job- lol

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    Now I will never pay those high applesauce prices again...
    They said I can have all the apples I want this summer (and pears too).... God, I love my job- lol
    You go , girl
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yay for you!!!

We canned over 50 quarts of applesauce this fall. When you're ready to move on to that step, we're ready for you! LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauk View Post
    Yay for you!!!

We canned over 50 quarts of applesauce this fall. When you're ready to move on to that step, we're ready for you! LOL!
    Oh yea ~ what a sight that would be (I mean for me to be doing that)...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I peel mine slice and core put them in a bowl in the microwave butter, sugar and cinnanom. (sp) It is yummy and I am lazy when it comes to cooking 5 mins max....

should have read the whole thread but way to go Yummy. how manys quarts/ did i read correctly..... yums....
    Last edited by oheoh's momma; 03-07-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: forgot

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made apple juice last night! Totally by accident...

A friend gave me a gallon size bag of apples that had been peeled, cored & sliced. There was quite a bit of ice crystals on them because the bag had a rip in it. Also they were from last summer's bounty.

I was making applesauce for Easter dinner tomorrow - so into the slow cooker they all went. Sprinkle of cinnamon and away I go.

A few hrs later I peeked in the pot and saw way too much water (from all the melted ice crystals) so I poured it into a giant coffee mug and let the apples continue to cook. I tasted the juice and wow- was it powerful. I poured it into a pitcher, diluted it to a milder taste... and now I have cinnamon apple juice to boot...

I think next time I make the applesauce from fresh apples I may try to add more water and let them cook in it- then remove it about 1/2 way and see if I get the same results as from the frozen ones. (Which by the way, I didn't even think you could freeze apples)....

This old dog learns a new trick everyday....

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a difference a month or two makes.... first I didn't know how to make homemade applesauce- now you should see me go...

Made a batch last week that I added a few peeled peaches to. Now that was awesome - peach applesauce...

I have done the same thing with pears....

....I am just getting started......

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast