I want to make applesauce for dinner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I want to make applesauce for dinner

The price of applesauce is bugging me. I think it is time to make my own.

Does anyone have a super easy recipe (I don't want to can) not yet anyway...

I just want to make some applesauce and eat it...

Anyone got applesauce?

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    “When you get to the end of all the light you know
    and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown,
    faith is knowing that one of two things will happen:
    you will be given something solid to stand on,
    or you will be taught how to fly.” - Edward Teller

“Our Earth is degenerate in these later days;
    there are signs that the world is speedily
    coming to an end;
    bribery and corruption are common; children no
    longer obey their parents;
    every man wants to write a book and the
    end of the world is evidently approaching.”
    — From a translation of an inscription on
    an Assyrian clay tablet, circa 2800 B.C.E.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    courage to change the things I can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference

aho mitakuye oyasin

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I just do what my Grandmother did. I peel, core, and cube apples, it makes no difference how many, you decide. Then I add a bit of water and cook into a sauce. Add sugar if you wish, a pinch of salt. If you want the apple sauce smooth rather than chunky, run through a mill. It's easy, peasy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I'm doing a smallish batch (not for canning) I peel, core & dice about 8-10 apples and throw them in my crockpot with a splash of water. I toss in about a tbsp of cinnamon and let it cook on low for about 8-10 hours (starting it after dinner and having it for breakfast is popular here )

I store it in the fridge or freezer if I'm not canning it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok- next question:

How long will a batch last in the refrigerator???

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd say up to a week or so. If you don't add any sugar, you aren't putting any preservatives in it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I freeze mine in sandwich bags flat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Well, I just do what my Grandmother did. I peel, core, and cube apples, it makes no difference how many, you decide. Then I add a bit of water and cook into a sauce. Add sugar if you wish, a pinch of salt. If you want the apple sauce smooth rather than chunky, run through a mill. It's easy, peasy.
    This is how I do mine ~ I quarter the apples, leaving the skin on, cook the same way and put them through the food mill. I add a little sugar and cinnamon and it's done The red skins left on the apples make the sauce pink
    Nancy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh I peel mine and mash w/ a potato masher after cooking. I use cinnamon and sugar to taste.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    I freeze mine in sandwich bags flat.
    Seriously? What is it like when it thaws out? Still like freshly made or mushier???

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauk View Post
    If I'm doing a smallish batch (not for canning) I peel, core & dice about 8-10 apples and throw them in my crockpot with a splash of water. I toss in about a tbsp of cinnamon and let it cook on low for about 8-10 hours (starting it after dinner and having it for breakfast is popular here )

So you only need a tiny bit of water? Don't cover the apples with water coz they have so much in them naturally>?

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    So you only need a tiny bit of water? Don't cover the apples with water coz they have so much in them naturally>?
    I don't cover them with water. For 8-10 apples I'd use maybe 1-2 cups of water at the most. If you want it a bit sweeter, in the past I've added a can of frozen apple juice concentrate and skipped the water. I do that in the winter when the apples aren't as sweet.

After they are done cooking I use a potato masher to mash it down. This leves it a bit chunky. If I want it smooth, I use my immersion blender.

I freeze mine in those plastic ball jars for freezer jam. I've never had an issue. With texture.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauk View Post

About how much sauce do you get out of the 8-10 apples? With the price of apples lately, I would need to be able to at least do better than the BOGO sale I got last week. I got (2) 22oz jars for about $2.29. So yeah, I love the idea of home-made, but just wondering if there's an economical advantage to it.

theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The most economical way to do applesauce is to buy apples by the bushel when in season.
    First I wash the apples, then peel them, quarter them, take out the inside seed cavity, then you can slice them, like 3 or 4 pieces from each cut quarter, depending on size of apple. Put apples in a pot with a little water, maybe a cup or so. If you put too much water in, then you need to cook it more to get rid of the extra water. Keep a eye on the pot and don't run out of water on the bottom, or the apples will burn. You need to stir every so often. When apples are soft, you mash them. You can measure so much per freezer bag for pint or quart depending on family size, and then flat is a good way to go so the bags stack better in freezer. I can mine in pints for our use. The nice thing about making your own, is that you know what goes into it.
    You can make a small batch to try out the method and see if it is something you like to do before buying a bigger quanity of apples to work with. I would buy a mixed bushel if possible of different apples to work with for better flavor. Sometimes you can only buy one variety in a bushel.

You don't need number one cosmetically perfect apples to make applesauce. Seconds or blemished are great to work with and you get the most bang for your buck. Just remove the bad spots along with the peel. I put the peelings out on the garden. Now if you really want to be frugal, save the peelings, with NO bad spots....boil them in some water...remove/drain the peelings out....and save the water you now have to make apple jelly. I have never done this, but have read about it, many times. I think I am going to try this myself, next time, I make applesauce
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 03-01-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: more info
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't peel my apples but then I rarely peel anything except citrus fruit! I use apples from the wild trees around here and the flavor is SO much better than commercial applesauce. Not sure how it would be with store apples since I find they have no flavor either.

My favorite is from an old tree of Yellow Transparent apples - OMG they make the best sauce!!! And they come out in late August, just when I am a-hankerin' for apples!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast