What do you use to wash the car? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most of the time, just rain. We live in Oregon. It rains a lot most of the year.

A few times a year (during the summer), DH gets out a bucket and a long handled scrubby thing and washes the cars. He uses Dawn.
    Beak-1996, Toad-1998, and Q-1998
    House payments left: 1 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rain here too. I look at road tar as a preservative
    BEF fully funded
    Debt Reduction
    heloc - $3,299 - 0 yes, yes, yes!
    mortgage - $62,382
    van payoff = <$9,500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't wash it in the winter gets to cold here & I'm afraid my locks will freeze. In nice weather I use car solution if DH has some and if not dish soap in a buck w/water and large sponge. Then use the hose.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i get it done...full inside outside for $32 i believe...they do a great job. they even take out your mats and your water hog mats and clorox them!!! love it! clean car is good...i dont keep a clean neat car and dh HATES it...so, every 4 - 5 wks, i go and get it done....

in the summer, dd who is 9 likes to "help"...dh has some type of car was stuff...puts in bucket w/ water and dd scrubs away...it is all streaked when she is done, but, she has fun and is proud of herself...

i like the inside vacuumed and cleaned and wiped down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mostly rain.

When I do wash it, I use a bucket of water with a little bit of dish soap in it. No garden hose, because our well doesn't flow enough to justify using running water on it. I rinse with another bucket of water.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a pickup, so I let God wash it.

Occasionally, I'll just use a bucket and some car wash soap. I don't bother drying, and only wax once a year before winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It depends how dirty and whats stuck on it.
    If its real bad My husband will take it to the car wash with a pressure hose on it and we all get out and try to use the brushes with in the time limit. If were really fast the car will even get a wax.
    Any other day it normally does not get washed unless I want to get rid of my kids then I give them a bucket of dish soap.

I vacuum the car out with shop vac and then use the shark steamer and shop vac to clean the seats and the hoover shampooer on the floors.

I use vinegar or windex on the windows and dash depending on whatever I am using on that day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A hose, bucket of hot water and Simple Green. Works great.
    Too Blessed to be Stressed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

rain, soft cloth, mop, carwash-label is off no name brand. take it to the local carwash to vaccum out. usually ds helps to get to play in the rain.

ama
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I second the rain. I drive a Jeep Wranger and live on a dirt road. Its supposed to be dirty I always say. Car washes are def a luxury.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Majority of the time, I let nature take care of it. I do a combo of the following 'as needed' - touchless drive through car wash ($10), DIY on super hot days ($4) or at home in the driveway ($?) using the hose, bucket, soft wash mit and car wash concentrate - a lil def goes a long way here.

What I'm more of a stickler about are the windows. I like to drive with them open so dust collects and shows a lot quicker. I wipe them down every 2-3 weeks. I find nighttime driving/driving into the sun tells me when they need to be cleaned While I'm at it, I do a quick wipe down of the interior and vacuum the interior as needed.

Anyone able to recommend an eco/biodegradable car wash concentrate? Do they exist?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My teen son, a long-handled soft brush, a bucket of warm water with a car wash/wax in it. I have been using Kit brand carnauba wash & wax for I know several years and it is still 24% full. It only takes a capful in a mop bucket of warm water. Then I clean the inside and vac.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KatieInLa2 View Post
    My teen son, a long-handled soft brush, a bucket of warm water with a car wash/wax in it. I have been using Kit brand carnauba wash & wax for I know several years and it is still 24% full. It only takes a capful in a mop bucket of warm water. Then I clean the inside and vac.
    Thanks! I'll look for that brand! I know a lot of you said rain and that does work to a degree. It may be silly but I love my car I usually wash it weekly unless it is below freezing. It took us forever to save up the cash to buy my pretty little car and I want to take good care of it. Dh and the kids get a annoyed with me because they are not allowed to leave on piece of garbage in it. I dont really look at a weekly car wash as a luxury but an investment in keeping my 2 year old " baby" looking nice and rust free for many more years. Though at $5 a week since july 2010 I have spent a chunk!

I was hoping to wash it at home to save the $5 a week at the car wash. I really think it makes a difference as the car we saved for ds ( I drove from 2001-2010 when I bought the 2010) still looks fab! Dh's car which is a year newer than the one we saved for ds and covered in rust because he never washed it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Nodmicks, I have had my bottle so long I checked to see if it is still available and it is. The bottle now is shaped differently than mine but it is still sold for between 6-9 dollars for a gallon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much Katie!!! I will be in town tomorrow and pick some up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12