Removing stains off of linoleum floors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Removing stains off of linoleum floors?

We are buying a real fixer upper home (closing is on Monday). For the most part after a good scrubbing and putting in a new fridge and stove it will be liveable and we will move in. We will be fixing it up as we save up money. What we have saved now will be going towards a new fridge, stove, furnace and heat ducts.

The kitchen has quite a few issues, mainly lack of cabinet space, and outdated. It has linoleum floors that look like they were installed in the 1960's or 70's. The home owner had a metal pantry that of course caused a huge rust spot on the floor. Also the house was originally heated using coal (the coal burner is still there and was converted to natural gas- hence why we are replacing the furnace). Where the heat vent is the linoleum is discolored (it looks like the linoleum was originally yellow)- to a dark brown, brownish color.

Is there a way to remove the rust stains or possibly try to remove coal smoke stains? Any help is greatly appreciated because we won't be able to replace the floors for a few years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is it linoleum or vinyl?? There is a difference.....
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A quick google search suggests Zud, Barkeepers Friend, DW detergent and/or laundry soap. Do not use bleach. It will oxodize the stain and set the rust.
    Stinkbug

More wagging - Less barking

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's linoleum.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmmm...... I have a place in the bathroom where the previous owners had a rubber-backed rug and there is a perfect outline in yellow of that rug. Wonder if that would work?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it's that old, are you thinking of replacing it?

It's a bit of a chore manual labor wise but it's not a technical complicated job.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always start by just using plain soap and water. Get the most of the mess gone. Then the few spots that need more treatment, you could try simple things. A little vinegar on the stain. Let it set for a little bit and then rinse it off. Repeat if necessary. I have also used a brillo pad on the most stubborn spots. I prefer the SOS brand. I usually cut them in half with scissors and put them in a quart plastic bottle for storage, after I first get the box open.

I have a cleaner that comes in a 16 oz bottle, called Totally Awesome, that I bought at the Dollar Tree dollar store. Just spray it on, let it set for a few, wipe it off, and then rinse the area. Repeat if necessary. The label says it's a degreaser. No strong smells and it really works.

Let us know what you try that works the best.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used amonia on mine..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladytoysdream View Post
    I always start by just using plain soap and water. Get the most of the mess gone. Then the few spots that need more treatment, you could try simple things. A little vinegar on the stain. Let it set for a little bit and then rinse it off. Repeat if necessary. I have also used a brillo pad on the most stubborn spots. I prefer the SOS brand. I usually cut them in half with scissors and put them in a quart plastic bottle for storage, after I first get the box open.

I have a cleaner that comes in a 16 oz bottle, called Totally Awesome, that I bought at the Dollar Tree dollar store. Just spray it on, let it set for a few, wipe it off, and then rinse the area. Repeat if necessary. The label says it's a degreaser. No strong smells and it really works.

Let us know what you try that works the best.

We use the Awesome at work . It even removes hair color!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YES, PLEASE.........let us know what works. I will be curious to know.

I have always used Goo Gone but have never had to deal with rust...so don't know about that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was wondering if 'Fantastik' or diluted oxi stain remover would work?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are closing on the house Monday, so after we close that will be my first job. I will try out a few things and let you all know what worked for me!

We will be replacing the flooring hopefully within a year (actually hoping that when we remove the linoleum that the hardwood floors are in decent shape that after a quick run of the sander and new stain it will be good!), it's a fixer upper that has some other issues we need to correct first (new furnace, fridge, stove, updating electrical and adding new outlets, and adding heat vents to the upstair rooms). It's mainly for my sanity of making our new home look better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you post some pics of the new digs. I love watching neglected houses being reborn. Maybe you could start a new thread just for your house projects.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't tried it on that sort of stain (fortunately haven't had to), but i've found that Mr Clean's Magic eraser truly IS magic! It takes out things that I thought could not possibly be removed. Might be worth a try.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd suggest try soaking the rust spot with some coca-cola to dissolve the rust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast