u.s violence every 50 years?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default u.s violence every 50 years?

a recent yahoo article copied from livescience.com fri aug. 3rd.
    Stated that the U.S. has a violence cycle of every 50 years. This would put the next one in 2020. (last one stated as Vietnam)
    What is was wondering (no fighting please) if people thought that given the economic climate, we would see a lot of violence sooner.

I believe that we will. I think we are only as civilized as our last sandwich. And that as joblessnes increases and things get tighter we should see violent upheavals (not peaceful protests) w/ in 2013 and 2014. I am a big believer in Gerald Celente and his trends forcasting. What are your opinions. (please,please don't get inflammatory w/ each other)

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

While I think a lot of people are unhappy with their lot in life these days, I don't think enough of them have the energy or the drive to do anything on a wide scale for very long. So, a few violent protests may pop up in cities, but I don't see it gaining much momentum. People are largely apathetic.

I say this as someone who has spent a lot of years living in lower economic, mixed race neighborhoods, and a few places that were just shy of being slums. I see the disaffected and downtrodden every day, they are my neighbors. Most of them are more interested in their cell phones and cable tv than in rioting. And a good number of them are here because their home country is a war zone, they are not at all interested in rocking this boat.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Interesting take CH and thanks for weighing in. You may be right at present levels. I live in a formerly GM exec. neighborhood and I have to admit you don't hear about them going bankrupt. They just sort of fade away quietly. Little papers on their bank owed houses. I think the embarassment and humiliation keeps people quiet. Not saying they should be embarrassed just that they are.

And yes I have seen certain economic levels of people who have been so removed from choices they won't fight back and don't even seem to realize whats happening to them. Or feel that anything they say or do will count.

So maybe but I just worry about desperation of things to come. Because even the most rational person will lose it when they have nothing left to lose. IMHO

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fw I think this is intresting..and something to think about..
    I believe the econmic turndown is not over and will "pretend " to be better before it gets worse..only time will tell.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think they already are pretending it's better than it was...trying to keep the peasants happy lol...things aren't better & when I read that they are, or the recession was over 2 years ago, etc, etc, it makes me angry. I saw a special several months ago about survival & they acted out no food at the grocery stores etc & how as you said OP, people will do anything to find food...it is scary. I believe this is a scary time we are in. Where we are we're just scraping by and have that constant fear of one paycheck to the next, much worse than in better times. I do count my blessings but keep creeping back to the What Ifs...When I saw your thread title I thought you were going to say we are in that violent cycle right now, thinking of the CO movie theater massacre, the WI massacre today and a lot of other horrors going on.
    I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    . People are largely apathetic.
    I agree. And I think there are too many 'supports' in place to see LOTS of people starving.

And while my town has more violence now, it is due to drugs..........not lack of food. I don't know of or see too many "really hungry" here as we have lots of food banks, churches that help, and supports. Struggling?? Yes..........for sure.

I think the economy will improve, and while it might not be where we were prior to downturn.........it will be 'decent' by 2014. That will give time to get this stupid presidential race over and for congress to MAYBE get their 'ducks in a row' and get something done. AND..........it will improve no matter WHO gets in..........

Riots? No..........not over starvation...............any other reason..........possibly.

Where are the stats that show this 'violent cycle'?.............would love to see them............statements don't mean much to me.