need paper towel replacement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile need paper towel replacement

I discussed this months ago or longer but now I'm serious & need more specific help please...I"m addicted to paper towels & not the cheap ones. I've used coupons, sales but really I need to get away from paper towels period-money is growing more & more depleted (hmmmm, growing plus depleted, that doesn't sound right.)

Someone somewhere, probably here, said white cotton bar mops make the best rags. I searched both google & ebay & it seems those only come in large sizes, like the size of a dish towel or larger. I'm t hinking I'd like a whole bunch of them that I can wash in more of a wash cloth size, or the size of a paper towel sheet. Not real big. If I bought these big ones & cut them I'd have to hem them probably to prevent them from unraveling & I am not able to do that.

Can anyone help me with suggestions-I'd like something real absorbent and then I guess buy a covered diaper pail or some such thing to throw them in until washing.

Back when I could buy new dishtowels I'd hate how unabsorbent they were for quite awhile, seemed they put some sort of wax or other chemical on them to make them look nice, but they wouldn't wipe up water worth anything until they were getting old & all that stuff put on them wore off. My best luck with that was terrycloth cheap, large dishtowels I bought online.

Anyway if anyone(s) could point me in the right direction as to what I should get, look for for a good absorbency & size & price I"d sure appreciate it.
    Mary

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is what I use!
    Amazon.com: Cables Unlimted ACC-FIBER6 Ultra Absorbent Microfiber Cleaning Cloths -6 Pack: Electronics
    I have a small dish pan that I use and have a small plunger so when they are dirty I soak them in Vinegar and then rinse them. They dry fast!
    Hope this helps!
    Wife
    Mother to 3 grown children
    Grandmother to 7 beautiful grandkids

DEBT FREE!
    (except for mortgage)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why buy rags?

Look for old tee shirts or sweatshirts you might have that are 100% cotton. Those make great rags.

The best rags I have are made from old chenille bedspreads torn into various-sized pieces. The little bumps make scrubbing easier. No need to hem. So what if they ravel?

Old terry cloth towels make great rags too. Again, just cut them into the size you want and no need to hem.

When you use a rag, rinse it and hang it to dry or it will mildew. We just drape ours over the open lid of the washer or around the edge of the washer opening. They dry and that way we remember to toss them in to be washed. If we have lots of them, we let them dry on the clothesline outside and then toss in the washer.

We use old tee shirts cut into small pieces to check oil in the cars and wipe off the dipstick. Those get tossed like a paper towel. They don't need to be really absorbent for that so if they're not 100% cotton, that's okay.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went with microfiber as well. They had big packs of them for cheap in the automotive department back when I was shopping for them. They don't leave schnibbles on everything like some cloth can. As for rags, it's just me with a minimal wardrobe and linens and I never wear anything out lol...so that wasn't an option here.

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My regular dish towels are microfiber towels but, even though they clean great (really they do), I fear they won't be as absorbent as you desire. Still, I recommend them, just not as a substitute for paper towels.

I agree with not purchasing rags. It is shocking how quickly rags from used clothing will build up. Take an old pillow case and slit one end. String an extra long shoe string through the pillow case hem and tie a knot. Start stuffing rags into the bag as they come available. Grab a rag when you need one. If it is too icky, just toss it.

Start your stash of "rags" by buying a stack of thin terry washcloths from WalMart or Target. They usually come a dozen to a stack and cost about 50-cents a wash cloth.

I got away from using paper towels simply by avoiding situations where I'd need it. We have fabric napkins and fabric dish towels. When I make bacon, I cook it in a George Foreman grill that drains the fat off so there is no need to drain it on paper towel.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Your absolute best bet for absorbancy and frugality is to sew double-sided squares from 100% cotton flannel. Flannel can be had for about $3yd on sale and you can make three 12X10 inch paper towel replacements from each yard for a cost of $1 each. You can also buy a flat flannel sheet to use. A Twin flat cost about $10 and will make 22 replacements for a cost of $.45 each. If you have a used flannel sheet all the better! Just launder it with no soap, hot water and vinegar, 2 or three times to remove any detergent residues or softener oils before sewing.
    And remember never to use softener on your cloth towels!
    Like SD said, you do not want to pail your rags. They will most certainly mold. Rinse your used rags and hang them over something to dry thoroughly before adding to the dirty laundry pile.
    Here's the super fancy version of what I'm talking about: The Latest News from KAMsnaps.com: Be Green with Snap-able Unpaper Towels - with Tutorial
    Also a good option is birdseye baby diapers. They are incredibly absorbent! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Fla...-White/5824294 ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

if you get the bar mops you can cut them in 1/2 and sew the edge
    Or I go to salvation army and buy the tablecloths that look like the quilted rags and cut them up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~Your absolute best bet for absorbancy and frugality is to sew double-sided squares from 100% cotton flannel. Flannel can be had for about $3yd on sale and you can make three 12X10 inch paper towel replacements from each yard for a cost of $1 each. You can also buy a flat flannel sheet to use. A Twin flat cost about $10 and will make 22 replacements for a cost of $.45 each. If you have a used flannel sheet all the better! Just launder it with no soap, hot water and vinegar, 2 or three times to remove any detergent residues or softener oils before sewing.
    And remember never to use softener on your cloth towels!
    Like SD said, you do not want to pail your rags. They will most certainly mold. Rinse your used rags and hang them over something to dry thoroughly before adding to the dirty laundry pile.
    Here's the super fancy version of what I'm talking about: The Latest News from KAMsnaps.com: Be Green with Snap-able Unpaper Towels - with Tutorial
    Also a good option is birdseye baby diapers. They are incredibly absorbent! Gerber 12-Pack Flat Fold Birdseye Reusable Baby Diapers - Walmart.Com ~
    Love this idea thanks for sharing.
    I also use DH old tee shirts and baby diapers for dusting!
    Wife
    Mother to 3 grown children
    Grandmother to 7 beautiful grandkids

DEBT FREE!
    (except for mortgage)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought some packs of white terry cloth towels (wash cloth sized) at Walmart years ago. I use them for cleaning and all sorts of things. They have lasted for years and I can bleach the whole batch if they get too bad.
    Birdie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

last time I bought bar mops at walmart ( a few years ago) they had different sizes including washcloth size.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

kohls has some bar mops...they shrink up so no worries on them being too large!

microfibre clothes from the dollar store in the auto aisle work great too

i too am a paper towel junkie!!! viva are my fave for durability and you can even strain soup stock thru them and they dont break away!!! like bounty too! i still and always will buy them as i dont get how using mops/rags/towels saves $$ as you have to wash and drythem and use detergent (even if it is only cheap detergent and vinegar...still $$ spent) ...jmho.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use rags exclusively - have not bought paper towels in years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wow thank you ALL for all the awesome suggestions...I'll be scooting over to Amazon soon to take a look, and other places suggested.

Don't know that I could get away from ALL paper towel situations-such as pet accidents (hairballs) etc....I don't mean I'd have to buy paper towels for this, I mean someone here said she doesn't have a need for paper towels, but I do & would use rags.

I understand & appreciate about not putting the rags in a pail to mold...thanks.

Vigilant20: "schnibbles"? LOL!!!!

Yes Bounty is my favorite, Viva prob would be too if I'd ever tried it. I never liked the job the cheaper sand paper ones did...always bought hubby the cheap ones in bulk to use in his garage & would get mad when he'd take the good ones from the house for "just" grease, lol!

Thanks everybody....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a stack of old dish rags that I have cycled out of dishwashing use. I use them for general cleaning and throw them in with the laundry. They have lasted for years and are still going strong. They originally came from a big box store.

I do keep some paper towels in the house for cat hairball cleanup, etc. A sale priced 8 pack last more than a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Merrilee View Post
    Yes Bounty is my favorite, Viva prob would be too if I'd ever tried it. I never liked the job the cheaper sand paper ones did...always bought hubby the cheap ones in bulk to use in his garage & would get mad when he'd take the good ones from the house for "just" grease, lol!

Thanks everybody....
    But if you are using them for just a few things.........what is wrong with the cheap ones?........the cheap ones should do hairballs okay. Might buy one roll and give them a try...........or small package......

I use them.......won't quit.....but I use the cheap ones. Don't use that many and they are fine for dog 'anal gland' duty and some other little things.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast