Frugal Village Forums banner

What could you give up for frugality?

11K views 128 replies 102 participants last post by  Siebrie 
#1 ·
If it wasn't for your spouse/children/SO, what could you give up in the name of frugality?

If you didn't need to consider others, that thing could you give up in the name of frugality? For me, I've decided I could give up the phone. If it's not a sales call, it's a dear (but bored!) friend or family member who seems to think that chatting on the phone is a recreational activity LOL! Even worse, dh can't tolerate the idea of "punching a bunch of numbers" (as he puts it) for a pre-paid phone card. He also makes alot of out-of-state calls, so we have the "better" phone package. For myself, I'd probably just get a prepaid Tracphone, for the very few times I might need it (emergencies, calling in sick , etc). For everything else, it would be e-mail or letters. Of course, I would call now-and-again...but only at a minimum. I'd also be visiting in person, etc.

But alas, dh thinks I'm nuts for even considering such a "lifestyle"! LOL!

What could *you* give up?

#2 ·
I think I have already kinda given up on those things that I could. We moved from a very large, modern townhome with a dishwasher and washer/dryer to a small apartment with none of those features to save $400 a month in rent and utilities. We gave up our extra features on our phone and now have an answering machine. We gave up cable too. The only other things we subscribe to is internet and I will not give that up, too much value for the money (entertainment, education, banking, communication). I suppose the only other thing I could give up is our gym memberships as we hardly ever do and I have a large exercise video collection...but everytime I mention it, DF says "we'll go this week" and we never do! Thanks for letting me think through this...I may just cancel it anyway!;)

#3 ·
I would give up quite a bit, that dh wants to keep, and does. lol We have satellite tv, which is VERY expensive...I would defintely give this up.

#7 ·
Hmmm, I could go without the phone, as long as we got to keep internet access. I have to say, though, I giggle to myself when people talk about DSL and cable internet. We have an "old-fashioned" dial up, and I think it's great! I mean, after all, what do I have to compare it to? No internet at all, and that is just not nearly as fun as pushing a button and being able to talk to the world just by pushing more buttons! LOL

#9 ·
I could go without more than just cable but the whole TV in general. I also would give up our washing machine, we have before. Yes Im insane LOL
~Michele~

#11 ·
CABLE TV...definitly.... I hardly ever watch tv..only have it because of dh ....a couple of months ago we went down to the basic service because our cable company raised our bill another $10....since we did that we decided to get a cable modem....definitly worth it!! :) We saved about $20 on our bill....

My gym membership-never....lol....I had a weight problem for years...... am healthy now...... my gym has alot of great stuff and I pay less than $1 a day so I feel it is worth the cash.....

I could give up the phone to..... I use my cell phone for most of my calls....have a great plan on that....

Pretty frugal with everything else.... :D...I think...mmmmm..will have to look around....hehe

#12 ·
I would keep the house at about 60 degrees in the winter and just bundle up to keep warm. Dh and dk's wouldn't be happy about this, I'm sure.

I'm with you PumpkinNoodlie. I could give up the phone in a heartbeat. Like you I have bored friends and relatives who call often and talk about nothing for an hour per call. Love them, but sheesh. :)

#14 ·
We could definitely give up the spare car too. I would need to drive dh to and from work though, so it would take up about 2 hrs of my day. Unfortunately, he likes his beat-up truck :laugh:, so I think I'm stuck with it.

#17 ·
LOL PumpkinNoodlie, dial up is my only option also. My father, who lives in town, has a cable connection which is really nice. But since I live so far out in the boonies, cable doesn't reach me. Oh how I would love cable connection, then I could be on the computer all day and no one would know, because they would still be able to call me.

#18 ·
Hi everyone!

Thank-you Countrymom for the welcome at the Welcome Wagon!

Here`s what I would give up: cable, our second car, our dishwasher,the second tv.

I`d move in the country side, where I would be surounded by a forest or I`d move in the city, in a an area that there are lots of parks and trees in the streets and I would have no car, since I would use public transportation.

:catfly:

#19 ·
I would give up sattelite television, all the extras on the phone, I would give up all fast food and eat in everyday. I don't think my DD and DH would do well with those "sacrifices" LOL but I would be fine. :D

#20 ·
I really had to give this some thought. We don't have cable,sattalite,dishwasher,etc. I'd gladly give up the phone,if they would let me have internet access only. Other than that,we really don't have any extras...... Can I just give up the kids and DH:toothy: that would save me a FORTUNE!!!!!!:D

#22 ·
This morning I would have said the kids!;) But they have redeemed themselves, so I'll keep them. The only thing, other than the dogs, that I can think of is microwave popcorn (I get great deals on it with all the ACT II popcorm coupons out). We love it, but could go back to air popped if we had to.

#24 ·
the tv for sure, the microwave, sodas and junk foods, i dunno, i can't think of anything else righ at this moment. I'll try to come up with more!

#25 ·
If I wasn't doing laundry for 6 people I would give up my dryer. I could go without the sattelite tv too. Oh and I would not use the air cond. in the summer that is totally Dh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.