Has anyone gotten their haircut at Walmart?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Has anyone gotten their haircut at Walmart?

Well, first off I guess I have to start with a back story. I haven't gotten my haircut in three years, able to save a ton of money by just letting my hair grow. My hair now reaches to the middle of my butt. I caught the way it looks in a mirror recently and thought that it look pretty horrid with hair hanging over my bottom. So, my first thoughts were cut at least six or eight inches off of it to it closer to the middle of my back. Though, I don't want to spend more than 15 dollar on a cut and the only place that I know that is that cheap is the Family Hair salon( I think that name is Smart Style) that is located in our Super Wal-Mart.

Earlier today, I actually drove over there with the intentions of getting a haircut, but for some reason I stopped in front of salon and just looked inside for a few minutes. I was pleased to see there was a woman around my age in there, with mid-back hair in there getting a haircut, so, maybe that is a good sign that there is a stylist that knows how to cut long hair. I just wished that I would have stayed to see if the woman's haircut came out looking alright.

I left Wal-Mart feeling ashamed of myself for being a chicken. All that went though my mind as I drove home was how badly I wanted a haircut, but couldn't get one. So, I was thinking that maybe if some other frugal people share their stories of haircuts that they have gotten at Wal-Mart I could feel better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've gotten mine cut at the cheap family places before while in college and between jobs. IMO they do as good a job as any. I think you can get a bad cut/styling at the more expensive ones just as easy as you can at the cheap ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have gotten my hair cut at Walmart before and they normally do great with it!!! I used to only go to Regis in the mall, until they butchered me, and i have long hair, when I left I was in tears because all of my hair was gone!!! It was almost a bob(sp)!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'be gottem mine done a quite a few times atFirst Choice beacuse our wallmarts don't have hiarcutting in them, their smaller version stores. First Chice is exspensive $22, ughhhhhhhhhhh. And the last time she butchered me, i wa letting it grow to my shouldars. and told her to layer it all in the back so I could get that gelled up, run your fingers look, stays in place look, she thinned it out so bad that I was almost bald , I could see through my hair, she thinned it out too much!!!! Never agian.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't done it yet, but I've considered it. I normally go to a cheap place anyways, so I figure the WalMart one is probably the same.

If you're getting a lot of long hair cut off, have you considered donating it to Locks of Love? They make wigs for cancer patients.

Master Dollar Stretcher guest32's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you're going to cut it that much, have you considered Locks for Love?? My niece had hers cut to donate, and the cut and style was free! You might check it out to see who in your area does this. There is usually a salon or two that is associated with it. Maybe you can check their website to find someplace. I think you have to donate 10".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go to the Wal-Mart all the time for haircuts. I don't have long hair, but they've always done a good job for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default It's a matter or who, not where ...

There are good and lousy hairdressers in all types of salons. Look around and see whose hair you like and ask where and to whom they go to.
    I've seen hairdressers who cut crooked and those who should be superstars. Experience is one indicator, the cheaper places tend to have those hairdressers straight out of school, so ask how long they have been cutting hair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with ironmaiden...they are good and bad ones everywhere. I usually get mine cut at Supercuts (it's 10.95) and so far I've only had good experiences.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to Great Clips last night (I got out of class early and had a few minutes to myself to get it done). It was 11 buck, not bad. I usually try to take the boys in there when they have their 5 buck sale. I usually just get a trim, nothing fancy so they haven't screwed it up yet. I think if I was going to get something a bit more technical I would go somewhere else. Most of the stylists in the cheapie places do not speak clear english and I would have to have a misunderstanding when it comes to my hair.

I have been to walmart once and the lady did a decent job, they just usually cost a few bucks more than Great Clips.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One quick tip: being a hairstylist if you are worried about getting someone with little experience etc, ask for the hairstylist who is closest to the customer seating area, the apprentices and/or ones with the least experience are put more towards the back of the shop so that when customers are waiting to get their hair cut they are usually watching the sylist closest to them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a cosmotology school here and they charge $9 for shampoo, cut and style. I have a friend who is a cosmotolgist who does my hair free but I went to the school when she was on maternity leave. The schools have an instructor watching and there to assist. Might be something to look into.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well looks like I'm the oodball here, DH not only trims my hair but colors it when the grays start to out number the browns. He has done it for years and only charges a few kisses. Best price around:queen2

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have gotten mine done at Walmart and I guess I have been lucky. The girls and the one guy that works there all cut hair really well. I also go to Famous Hair and they also have been pretty good. My hair is down past my bra so a little up from yours. I do not want my hair short and the first time someone doesn't listen I do not use them again.
    If you go just make sure the person who cuts your hair understands what you want. That you do not want more than say 1 to 2 inches off or maybe you only want it evened out a little. I know its scary, I was that way then finally started going again. I do go about every 8 to 9 weeks not the usual 6weeks. I also have psorrasis on my scalp and the people are really great with about being careful not to dig in my head when they shampoo or not to use very hot water when rinsing.
    Go about 10 in the morning when not to many people are up and about during the week. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've always wondered about the hair places in Walmart/Zellers in Canada but I guess its true. Experience does help you get a better cut but its also you, being very vocal about what you want and throughout the process.

I can confidently walk into First Choice Hair cutters here $11.95 (?) and regardless of WHOM cuts my hair it turns out well. At first I used to show pictures, bring clippings from magazines and print outs in black and white from the internet and then kinda sketched how how I wanted it to look from front, sides and back. Now I just walk in and go to the next available person and ask them to cut it/trim it - and I constantly ask them how they're cutting it and why - as in how will it look after when they're done and when its try. Also this keeps them focused on what you really want vs them trying to make nervous small talk.

But now I have a gf who will cut my hair for free - I just have to arrange to go out of town to visit her. Two birds with one stone! Multi-tasking at its best!

Best of all, she totally gets me and how I want my hair cut.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast