Burning newspaper "logs"...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Burning newspaper "logs"...

Has anyone ever done this? I've just heard about it. Supposedly you wrap up old newspapers tight and burn them in the fireplace. Does this work? Is it safe? I'm thinking about the inks on the pages of the newspaper. How does this compare to burning real logs?

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

only thing i remember about this is to make sure you are not burning the glossy stuff. i can't rememeber if you can burn the comics with all the colored inks, but you're not supposed to burn the glossy stuff, just the regular newsprint pages.

KimBob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know we had a mini discussion about burning things like newspaper in the Natural Living forum (maybe 2-3 months ago?). It's not suggested due to the chemicals that are released into the air.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think quilter mom is right, the ink has chemicals in it and maybe you don't smell it when you burn it, but its still there. You can use the newpapers to use for litter box, just shred it. Or can use for packing gifts that are being sent to someone far away, again just shred the paper.
    I put the paper this year between the mattress and boxspring, it was much warmer. Got that hint off this site.
    If you have alot of trees, just pick up the limbs or if a branch falls just cut it up. You could use that for extra wood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always thought that burning just black and white newspaper was safe. Oops, maybe I should rethink that. But if you do burn it, a great way to make the logs is to roll the paper very tight and stick it in toilet paper holders and paper towel holders. Also, If you have a box of mac and cheese or pasta or something, open it up on the top and the bottom and use that to hold together the tightly rolled papers. You can also use twine, but if it catches fire too soon, the papers may unroll and leave a mess of ash. I don't know how much heat it throws compared to wood. I usually just use my rolled logs to start the fire.