Frugal Village Forums banner

Who's worried about having time to grow a garden?

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  KJayEsq 
#1 ·
I am curious how many of us are not planning on growing gardens even though we would like to based on time issues.

Really how long does it take to make a garden from grassed lawn?

I remember what my grandfather would do every year for his garden to get it ready to go for the year... and he made it into a pretty long process wonder what really is neccesary for a good crop. * ponders *

#3 ·
Well, this is our situation. We have four mature trees in the backyard, making it a big job to garden there. Not enough sun to begin with. It's not only time, but costs that hold us back. We'd have to fell a couple of trees at $800 each. Then, because of the situation, we'd have to build a new fence between the neighbour and us...about $2000-3000 (he wants vinyl). Then we'd still have to put in raised beds and line them with something to keep the weeds out. Our yard has become infested with some kind of broadleaf weed. So we'll be doing u-picks this year.

Jean

#4 ·
I don't plant a vegetable garden, I'm into flowers...but, I do plant tomatoes in containers on our deck. My daughter on the other hand loves to have a huge garden...so we have struck a deal I furnish some of the plants/seeds, she grows it & she gives me some of it...works out well for both of us.

#5 ·
I am planting peppers and probably tomatoes in the front flower gardens. I am encouraging dh to give me some other places for food growing, I would love to take out all the lawn in the front but that's a not go:dazed:. I have one good sized garden and am doing 2 more, we are building raised sq. foot gardening beds. Even just a small garden based on this plan would grow alot of lettuce, tomatoes and peppers. Anywhere the ground is broken up I'm thinking about planting it! :)

#6 ·
~My FIL is one of the best gardeners I know and he spends and hour EVERY day in his garden. He has 3 plots totaling about 2000 square feet. And he grows alot of flowers too. I think the main thing is consistancy. My plots have always failed because I didn't want to put in the time every day, I wanted to do a power session on the weekend. It doesn't work at all! I REALLY want to make it work this year so I plan on a 500 square foot garden with 15 minutes EVERY day. That's the plan anyway.~

#7 ·
I agree. It is totally consistency! If you let it go a few days, it takes a while to get back on track. Hopefully, I'll be better this year.

#8 ·
Well, it really depends on the type of soil you have.

For us, we have rocky hard clay soil with very little nutritive value. However, through composting and amending the soil and working it every year we have created a great garden. If we were to want to plop in some raised beds and purchase top soil, it may have been quicker, but much more expensive and we still would need organic biomass to add to the soil for optimum health.

I've seen some areas (mostly on tv) where they dig into the ground and turnover beautiful, rich black rock free soil. For that... just get tiller and put some plants in the ground... bam, garden time!

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from gardening. But, it really does depend greatly upon what kind of soil you have in the first place. If you aren't sure... take a sample to your local Cooperative Extension Agent for a free soil test. This will tell you what you're working with and what you need to do to prepare it for planting.

#10 ·
I work full-time outside the home, and I always have time to grow a garden. I use the square foot method in raised beds. I'm actually going to try to grow potatoes this year in these fabric bags I bought from Gardener's Supply.

#12 ·
Suki has really hit the nail on the head about the soil being the key. We have very hard clay soil, so raised beds are the only way for us to garden, IMO. If you have good soil in a sunny area that you'd like to use for a garden next year, one easy way to prepare it is to put black plastic over it for a season. This will heat up and kill weed seeds. Avoiding weeding is a biggie in the time department, which is another reason I love mulch. I live in the deep south, and weeds grow quickly, turning your garden into a jungle in no time.

I'd recommend Ruth Stout's books. I think she has one called "The No Work Gardening Book" or something like that.

#13 ·
i think it depends on what you want to grow really.

i'd try to plan it out on paper before actually digging.
how much room do you WANT to garden in.
and how much is _realistic_ to garden in... based on time, square footage, money flow, cost of supplies etc.

then there are always easier ways to do things today.
sure if you really invest in a garden it can take a lot of time.

what i do, becaus i've always got SO much going on and things to do and things i want to do... i plan on about 20-30 min a day of work.

so i turn the garden over a couple times before the last freeze (and planting).
just kind of gets some air in the dirt and it's healthy for the soil.
i'll add in a little top soil and nutrients to start feeding the soil.
that make take a week or two, as i have a small garden and turn it over by hand.

depending on what i'm planting, i'll plant a little before or just after the last freeze. a couple days after that i feed the soil again.

after things get started it's all maintenance after that.

sometimes i can take projects with me outside to do along with the gardening.

i'd recommend if you really want to garden, and you feel you dont have the time to draw out a plan. and see if, on paper, it's possible to do.

just a little bit every day can get you where you may want to be. :)

good luck

#14 ·
I am planning on an all container garden this year... if it ever stops snowing!

I am seriously worried there won't be enough time to grow anything since the snow usually lasts until the end of April and they said something on the news today about how there will be an exceptionally longer winter season here and the farmers are worried.

#15 ·
I'm planning on planting tomatoes, bell peppers, blue lakes, and seedless cucumbers. I have had bad luck with cucumbers but I'm not giving up. In containers I'm going to grow blue berries, strawberries, and lemons. I also have herbs planted along with my flowers. I don't tend my plants constantly. Disturbing the soil often in the beginning to keep the weeds to a minimum.

#16 ·
Before we had had more things added to the plate when it was just going to be us having a newborn. We had thought to get together with our neighbor and do a garden together. Our neighbor works most nights til 6pm and doesn't have the time to put down a garden, however he has 2 teenage children who could help tend a garden.

We had thought of one weekend getting all of us together and tilling, amending the soil, tilling, planting , & mulching. Then after that we would just have to for the most part check the garden, weed, and water which the kids and we could do. Then during harvesting times the kids and Joe and i could go through and pick and if done every day it shouldn't take more then 30 min ( maybe an hour when green beans set on ).

Then the initial cost here since our soil is hard as concrete clay crudola. Our old neighbor had someone drag train track posts up to his yard. Then had someone else bring in top soil mixed with compost to dump into it to create his garden. Only problem with that is he spent $400 just doing that ( OUCHIE ). Then he planted seedlings. The cost in making a garden that way gets expensive fast.

Renting a tiller by the day here it would be $149 per day because of the large model that would have to be used because of the soil in the area... since it would be tilling virgin ground. Then we would need Gypsum, Bone meal, & Composted Manure/Top Soil to work into the soil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.