Frugal Village Forums banner

2011 Quilting Club

26K views 162 replies 18 participants last post by  frugalfranny 
#1 ·
I am getting this up and going to announce that I am going to hand quilt my King Size Hawaiian quilt this year. The applique work is finally done. Need to baste together the back, batthing and front and I will be good to go.

First though, I am going to finish the baby quilt before January 4th.

What are your quilting plans for 2011?

Reactions: kr
#32 ·
Good idea Debbie - seeing pictures would help even more.....FF --more impetus to get Photshop or whatever you need!!

Reactions: Debbie-cat
#34 ·
Okay.....got the crochet pics to download...will try these.

You will see that I was putting some of the blocks on other fabric I have for the quilt..........don't have much white (maybe an outside border).........have lots of green........and not enough of the lilac to do the inside work and an outside border too.

I have a purple print that 'blends' that isn't shown........but it is a whole other print that I wasn't sure I liked with it.

So.............what do you think???

Was going to 'stagger' them......as shown.........then was playing with the idea of putting the kaleidoscope one in a spaced out circle (have 16) in the middle of the quilt. I have 16 of the kalid. and 24 log cabins.

Gees...this is hard to do in writing............wish someone lived close to "talk it over"..........:thud:

#35 ·
I know monitors can show different...........but do you think the green is okay?

Maybe I should take a pic of the purple/lavender print.......think I don't like that one because it has yet another flower on it.......a rose...but is real 'dainty' and pretty........have a bolt of it too.

#36 ·
From what my monitor shows (cor, tit) of the green, I think it matches well. With the lilac print border, it will be stunning.

Now for the arrangement, I like how you have them staggarded but now am interested on how the circle would look. Can you lay that out, takes pics and show us? :D

Reactions: frugalfranny
#39 ·
Now for the arrangement, I like how you have them staggarded but now am interested on how the circle would look. Can you lay that out, takes pics and show us? :D
I will try it.......was just drawing it out to see if I had enough squares.

The circle would be a staggered ----sort of 'long view' circle.....

K lc lc

lc lc K lc lc K lc lc

K lc lc K lc lc don't know if you can tell much from that..........but not a 'true circle' ---as you think of one.

Will have to try it and see if it works to lay it out.........back later...

I have enough fabrics that I think this can be really pretty..........IF I don't MUNG IT UP!!! I can have a tendency to make things "too busy"..........without a color pop........think the green will work for the color pop.

I will also try to get some pics with the other lavender print.........but think THAT would make it too busy..........and it doesn't match exactly...........it blends. The tempting part is that it is a gorgeous piece of fabric.

#37 ·
WOW - what a tremendous job FF!! Stunning!! I agree with Debbie about the green = really works from my end.

Reactions: frugalfranny
#41 ·
I hadn't forgotten about the quilt layout........just had it on the camera and it sat there........opps........

Soooooo.....dc.....here is 'sort of' what I meant in prior post..... but when I laid it out I am not sure that I liked it............the camera batteries died when I was taking the purple fab. with it........

I think I have decided on the green as sashing.....for sure.....and probably a border too.......still playing with the lavendar that I don't think I have posted.

Still no photoshop...........so hope these post. This wouldn't 'necessarily' be the arrangement.......but will give you an idea......for the 'circle thing' I was talking about..........

#45 ·
Sooooooo......while sewing on my sashing to the log cabin blocks I 'accidently' found a short cut that I have never read about........

Instead of cutting the sashing for each block, I just made one cut across the width of the sashing fabric(at proper width) and slipped each block under the sashing material when 'speed piecing' them through..........was much faster.

At the end of the piece of sashing.......sew OFF the block but you will still be ON the sashing material (generally---but it is a scrap piece now).......raise foot.......bend sashing fabric back out of way WITH NEEDLE DOWN but close to needle........slide in next sashing and block piece (aligned, of course)........put foot down and sew.

Could NOT believe how much faster this was...........

Why haven't I done this before??????????? :thud:

#46 ·
That is how I do it FF. It is alot faster. I thought you would have always done I that way or I would have told you. :)

#47 ·
I do speed piece.........just have not done it with a long piece of sashing...........don't know why! ARRGGHH. I cut the sashing --for each block----then speed piece them.

My basement is going to be sooooo cold that I am not sure when I will get the 'main sashing' sewn on.............got the 'up sashing pieces' all on now..........(that is the piece that brings the blocks up to the size of the others). :laugh: Like my terms??

We are headed to below zero.........so I may just be huddled under a blanket!! I got out my LONG JOHNS today............for the second time this winter!!!

#48 ·
Wearing those long johns a second time around isn't bad FF. Try from Oct to April! :D

Stay warm!!

#49 ·
Are you SERIOUS dc???

Course you should see the three pairs of pants I have/save for the really cold stuff. Got a pair out today.........along with a super heavy Woolrich pullover that my sis gave me years ago........and I almost got rid of it!! :yikes:

I LOVE my "cuddle duds" in the really cold weather.........they are 'slick' so you can pull up your pants without getting a 'smurf'....:laugh:

I have NEVER had my fleece sheets on my bed for this long!! They usually get too hot.

Opps..........a little 'off topic'...........the ONLY thing good about winter is that it gives me time for crafting!

#51 ·
...and I almost didn't go to the pool today because the air and water temp were both 79 degrees!!

I figure that I'll start the hand quilting on my Hawaiian quilt this weekend - DH is going to Kauai, the weather sounds junk, and I can do whatever I please!!

#52 ·
...and I almost didn't go to the pool today because the air and water temp were both 79 degrees!!
Just HAD to rub it in didn't you MM?????

Shoveled this AM.............in a minus 7 wind chill, I might add.

Glad you get to have some free time.........and do 'whatever' this weekend........that means making a mess and not worrying about it!!

#53 ·
Did you end up getting lots of snow FF? Your storm is suppose to hit us by Saturday. I keep telling you to keep it there! :D

MM does have to keep rubbing it in doesn't she? ;)

#54 ·
I think we should all board a plane and go to her house.
MM we are coming to see you!!!!

Got about a foot.........at my place it was less. We have two days and then it comes back in EVERYDAY NEXT WEEK it looks like now....60% chance.....that is pretty good.

We have been TWO AND A HALF MONTHS with no snow (to speak of--maybe an inch here and there)......and we had SUSTAINED 20 MPH winds..........it was a mess. Even the colleges/universities closed down and they NEVER do. A minus 4 for temp. tonight with a wind chill of minus 25. 12 degrees tomorrow......whew...heat wave...turn on the fans!!

Yep........they said this was going to Colorado.........then up to Chicago with the airstream---as it stands right now.

I was too tired today to work on the sashing but I hope to get something done this weekend at least.

#56 ·
I am thinking of you all very fondly - as I definitely rub it in!! Have decided to be stricter about my pool times - before 10AM and after 4PM - that will help keep me out of the sun more!!

I am planning on working on my quilt this weekend too - tonight would be a good time to start.

#57 ·
And I plan on STAYING INSIDE and working on my sashing.........didn't get a chance today....too busy.

But.......LUCKY US......our next storm rolls in Sat. night (but might stay north of Spokane).........so weather will be crafting weather.

I have to start 'taxi duty' next week......I think it is......for a friend that just had her knee replaced (for her physical therapy) so I had best get busy.........not sure how often this is.

#58 ·
FF - you are such a good person - and a fine taxi driver you shall be!!

I was thinking of you tonight - I worked on some Easter decorations based on Preschoolers' artwork - involving gluing and cutting tissue paper. I want you to know that I picked up and threw away all the little pieces, folded and banded together all the large sheets and put all parts of the project into a basket - to be continued tomorrow.

Now if taking care of the rest of the crap in the LR were only as easy!!

#59 ·
MM --if you saw the stack of fabric PIECES that I have to put away in my basement you would just laugh. That is what I am THE WORST at...........the ones I am going to save-the bigger pieces........the others get 'sorted' as I do them.

Was working on LC today.......and when I added the two more rows of squares I couldn't get it to look right.......so started to sew........then stopped............AND......looks like I will be sleeping under the squares tonight so I don't have to 'rearrange' tomorrow!! :yikes:

when I laid it out to take a pic for here........it was only about 30 squares.............BUT..........I have 40......sure made a difference in the balance of it.

#60 ·
I finished the baby quilt for the shower tomorrow and am really happy with it - shall take a picture at school. For the center square I used one of the squares that I made last year as part of a square a month challenge - I think!! Anyway - I think you'll like it ;)

#62 ·
I've put the baby quilt up as part of the decorations for the shower and am using the preschoolers' quilts on top of white cloths for the present table.

#63 ·
Oh MM, it is beautiful! Did you hand tie it or hand stitch it? I am sure the mother will treasure it always! :)

Reactions: mauimagic
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.