Frugal Village Forums banner

DH's project...

Tags
project
1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  mema2dandk 
#1 ·
I know a lot of quilters don't use the older fashioned quilt frames. Most modern quilters use hoops or the frames that can be easily disassembled made from PVC (at least that's according to the fabric & quilt store we visited last). But Dh was determined to make me a wooden quilt frame just the same. We went online and found some there for ideas and general structure. We sat down and decided what my needs are and how to size it to make it easy for me to use (I am quite short, which was nice to be able accomidate for). We are not yet done, We still have to put a hinged top onto the compartments below to keep the things i store there unavailable to little, curoius hands here in this house, and we need to do some work to create a turning and locking mechanism for the long rails that will hold the ends of the quilt while quilting. And i have to apply some protective polyurethane or such to the wood too. But I was so excited about how it was comming along that I wanted to share it with everyone!

#2 ·
Wow, that is beautiful! Aren't you just a lucky girl?? :D

#3 ·
LOL, please excuse the kitchen background in the pic (and that we have it up on empty formula cans to allow air to get to the bottom-- it had been recently stained and just brought into the house for the night-- too cold out side to leave it out) Here's a closer pic of the compartments he built me into the botom. it is a bit cut off, but you get the idea. :D

#7 ·
That is great. What a sweetie your DH is :D . I have one that is the traditional frame and I also have several large hoops and I have a large oval hoop on a frame that I love. They make quilting by hand so much easier.

Blessings,
Kathy

#12 ·
I bet that frame is going to see a lot of use. What a sweetie your hubby is to make it for you.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.