Question

Thread: Question

Master Dollar Stretcher dz_blonde_girl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Question

I really, really, REALLY want to give quilting a shot. I'm somewhat intimidated and have no idea where to begin. Even if I could afford a class, there's no way I could go as I have to take these kids with me everywhere.

Here's my questions:

What's an easy, no brainer pattern to start with? You know, something to build a little confidence? I like
    this one and this one.

I'm thinking the second might be a little heavy in weight and hard to manage while sewing. Some day I hope to learn to make sure I'm not sitting on whatever I'm trying to run through the machine!

What are the bare minimum supplies I need? I have a few $ in my PayPal account and finding a good deal on ebay would be ideal.

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...reground=green

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Karen, I wouldn't do either one of those quilts for a beginner. I'm a firm believer when it comes to quilters learning the simple things first, then moving up.

If you look my tutorial for a simple nine patch thats a good place to start. Also a rail-fence is even easier and there are a number of patterns on the net for a rail fence.

For either one of these patterns all you need are:

- cutting mat
    - rotary tool
    - a hard acrylic ruler (6 x12)
    - straight pins
    - material
    - 100% cotton thread

Thats all you need to get you started on something really simple. From either of those, you can move to more advanced blocks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Karen, get the largest size mat you can afford if you plan on doing more quilting, size 18 x 22 if possible. If your not sure, then get the first one that is linked too, with a 45 mm rotary too with extra blade.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Karen,
    I'm not the best qualified to answer your questions, but I want to share my thoughts with you anyway.

I did not go buy hardly any supplies when I started the tutorials that CJ does. I did buy the rotary cutter, ruler and mat but used a coupon and got them in a package together at JoAnn's. Mine is the Fiskars brand and they work fine. I purchased the first bits of cloth as remnants at JoAnn's and Walmart. They were not fat quarters but were really cheap - often less than .50 for quite a bit of fabric. If you're just wanting to learn, buy 100% cotton fabric but don't be too picky on your colors and get it as cheap as possible. If you are anything like me, you might make a few mistakes. The first blocks I did were the sampler blocks and I really didn't do that well but I held on to them as a reminder. One day I'll look back and see how far I've come. My only other suggestion is not to plan on making a big quilt. Make a lap quilt or a wallhanging. It's faster and easier.

In a nut shell - go as cheap as you can to see if you really like it. Once you get the hang and like it, you can move up to a better quality supplies and fabric. I do think it's possible to make it without the rotary cutter and mat but it would be harder. My grandmother's made quilts their whole lives with only scissors, needle and thread. As for me, I'd rather use scrap fabric I had lying around and still get my rotary cutter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I can actually sew a straight line to my own expectations and get my 1/4" seam right...lol, I'd like to do something like this.

or this:

For starters, I plan to just sew some squares and practice my 1/4" seam.

I'm as beginner as a beginner can be. I purchased all of my supplies on sale at Joanns. I purchased the same kit Pat mentioned by Fiskars.

I've been cutting up old baby clothes and just practicing away on those. I don't even have it in me to use cheap store bought material yet. lol

This is the cutter/mat/ruler set I purchased.

Joanns has 40% off now too.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

A monumental event can happen any day." --Peale
    "Leap and the net will appear. --John Burroughs

Would the child you once were be inspired by the adult you've become?

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by smnoel
    Joanns has 40% off now too.
    and I have that coupon for anyone who's interested in it - send me your email.... My E-Mail ....and I'll email it back to you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Online has a coupon code which I am sure you saw already, but I'll post it anyway.
    Code: CRAFTMONTH440 for 40% off the regular price of one item.
    Also, I'm not sure if you registered to receive mail from them, but if you do you receive another coupon code for 20% your highest priced item on a future order.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Follow me on:
    Pinterest

A monumental event can happen any day." --Peale
    "Leap and the net will appear. --John Burroughs

Would the child you once were be inspired by the adult you've become?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sara, very smart - nice simple starters. The top quilt is one that dd made. I cut the squares for her, but she put them where she wanted to in the quilt. She is almost finished a full size quilt. She only has one strip to sew on it and then to start quilting it.

I agree, to start practising, use old clothes or old pieces of material you might have laying around. Learning to cut with a rotary tool and a ruler takes time and practise. Once you got that, they you can purchase 100% cotton. I don't know about Joanns but I do know Walmart has fabric ends that they keep in bins. Watch for those. Also if you have any goodwill stores around, they often have bags of material.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got some great stuff at the Salvation Army store a while back. I couldn't resist. Joanns is SO far away! Paying shipping costs makes me cringe.

Thank you CJ, so much, for the advice! I knew I could count on you. Your tutorials are very clear and easy to read. I'm going to try a 9 patch. The rail fence is a little hard for me to look at. I'm sure I have enough scraps for a first block. It'll be a while. I have 3 projects cut out. I'm planning ahead, a little anxious about taking the plunge. Prepare yourself for another bunch of silly questions. I'll lyk how it's going!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Karen, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll help you any way I can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're so sweet, kind and patient!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Start with a crib size or at the largest a small throw size.

Just my little tip.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so happy you are starting to quilt Karen!!! I hope you love it as much as I do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hows it going Karen? I know you are going to love quilting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't started yet. I found a set at WM with a 45mm rotary cutter, mat, ruler, straight pins and safety pins in it for $18. they also have a whole rack of cotton prints on clearance for $2.

Still planning. Another week maybe. I need to finish what I've got cut out first.