Frugal Village Forums banner

Family Management Wanted

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  craftypam 
#1 ·
I feel like this is the only place I can talk about an upcoming surprise. My MIL called to tell me that for my husband's 40th b-day, his enire family wants to surprise him. It will be Thanksgiving so getting everyone here may be a wee bit on the expensive side for them - I did commit to giving airline miles so his brother & sister can get half price tickets, spouses will have to pay full price.

I am looking at a MIL, FIL+his new wife, BIL+wife, SIL+hubby and possibiliy a half brother, grandparents & MIL Hubby. 11 people worst case scenario. For Thanksgiving. Not too bad, last time FIL was here I had 14 all unrelated but a blast!

What I have already done:

1. Check with neighbor if I can use their house over that time (they are snowbirds and gone all winter) so far they are a yes. That would give me 3-4 bedrooms and a complete kitchen to put everyone in.

2. Signed up for every possible airline newsletter to be on cusp of a killer sale. Especially the one where the airmiles are coming from.

3. Bursting to tell someone because I am horrible at trying to hide something--those little fibs to pull something like this off isn't in my blood.

Current problem, hubby wants to goto Mexico for his birthday. Family doesn't have passports and has no desire to obtain them. I am of the mind to allow his parents to have the enjoyment of coming to our house for Thanksgiving and surprising him. Easily accomplished since I am self employed and could get away to the airport with ease then stow them all at the neighbor's until the T-day.

I ramble....for the Mexico trip, my thought is to make sure I schedule it for the week or two after the company and just tell him that its already booked. Simple enough? Then just let hubby complain when he didnt' get the week he wanted....

I know this is 10 months away but coorindating flights & money and keeping DH at bay is tiring. Especially since we are working together now & MIL calls me daily with ideas & questions I can't answer until a bathroom break.

2009 will be fun. FV will be my outlet and I thank you ahead of time.

See less See more
#3 ·
I hope you pull it off! Just remind yourself that telling the little fibs, is for a good reason! I'm with you though, I'm horrible at keeping secrets like this, so good luck!

Just tell DH that you found amazing deals on the mexico trip for later in the month, and hopefully he won't argue with it to much!

#4 ·
You are a better wife than I !

Kudos to you for what you have accomplished so far and my best wishes to you over the next 10 months to pull it all off.

#5 ·
Giddy Update

I have three family members with tickets in hand for Thanksgiving and two more with airfare watches on various websites and airlines.

Got Hubby off the Mexico trip by having him mark out the weekends he already has commitments. Didn't leave much time. Also a group of his male coworkers wants to go away to gold resort they don't normally play (or really ever want to pay for) to recharge and relax.

I thought I had a good grasp on this until they told me that they all will probably be on the same flight. Hmmmm 6 people + luggage. Hmmm, wonder how comfy they want to be on the way home from the airport. We have a friend with an explorer who could be the luggage rig and me with an expedition could fit everyone in without their baggage. So as it gets closer this should get clearer.

I have MIL coming in the day before so we have the perfect excuse to run out the morning of T-Day to "pick up something we need for dinner". DH knows we lollygag where ever we go so being gone 2-3 hours that morning will be normal. We will return with the rest of his family.

Thought about dinner too (I know its onl y February) and

hes home gotta run, I 'll share later

#8 ·
Update....

MIL invited DH BFF...add 2 more to the festivities.

Figured out the luggage issure and I will be renting a U-Haul trailer, not a van but a trailer. I have the ability to tow so the luggage issue is over.

Friends have already started to dicuss who is doing what for T-day with DH & myself and it is so difficult not to bust out and say "we can't _____" but as these plans get more solid I will infiltrate and delegate cooking so I can get away to the airport that morning. Ideally, I need to have a deep discussion with God so the weather will cooperate to allow for a round of golf that morning. That would be ideal!!

Until then, I have my parents, sisters, BFF & nephew arriving for the summer in about 5-6 weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.