dealing with sports obsessed hubby
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default dealing with sports obsessed hubby

I have been married for 10 years. My husband is an absolute sports nut. I don't share his interests. He has season tickets (with a buddy) to his favorite college football team (they suck by the way). Two years ago we went on a family vacation and he agreed to miss one game for the trip- well his team actually won that game against a high ranked team. He was so mad at me because he missed that game that he was really nasty to me for hours. I finally told him he was being a total a$$ and if he could just get over it or leave.

The other thing going on with him is he has low testosterone. He went to the doctor two years ago (after a lot of fighting!) and had bloodwork done. I KNEW that was what was wrong with him, he is very moody and falls asleep as soon as he gets home from work (his job is not physically demanding) The doctor said his levels were not low enough for treatment, but he should have them checked every three months - which he refuses to do. He started some vitamins which have helped some, but he is still moody.

Our issue now is Thanksgiving. We usually go to my parents who live 500 miles away (we see his at Christmas). I usually make one other trip to see them during the year without hubby and they come see us usually twice a year. So his team is playing on Saturday. He wanted us to drive up north on Wednesday, stay for Thanksgiving and drive home on Friday so he could go to his game on Saturday. I told him no! So we still haven't figured this out, I told him just to stay home and we (me and the kids) would go without him. I am just SOO mad at him, I don't even want to talk to him. I know that I could guilt him into going, but it wouldn't be worth it. His attitude would be unbearable. I think he acts like a spoiled child. He thinks I am selfish to ask him to skip a game so I can spend more time with my family. And I think he is selfish and childish to expect me to cut short my family time so he can go to a stupid football game.

Thanks to anyone who actually read this... I don't know if I actually have a point. I just don't have anyone to talk about this with. So, I'll take any opinions... do you think I'm unreasonable?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How much is his team paying him to be so loyal that he's putting his family at risk?

Seriously - I do not understand the sports obsession. Not one bit.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, what Greebo said.
    Thank God my hubby isn't into sports much. The only time he shows any interest is just to hang with the guys and drink some beer.

I really think you need to ask the hubby if the team means more to him then you do. I hope you can work this out in a way that makes you both happy.

Couldn't he just listen to the game on the radio or set the Tivo to record it or something?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My hubby is a HUGE sports fan. He has to watch every Eagles, Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies game. If he doesn't he gets antsy...BUT he would NEVER not want to do something with the family to watch a game..that is where it would draw the line for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You married him and with that comes every single thing about him that you chose to accept. Now that you two are married and it's becoming an issue, I think you should have thought it through beforehand.

We have to learn to love the ones we're with. That includes being tolerant of one's likes and dislikes. God teaches people to be accepting of others. Marriage isn't a way to get out of doing that.

He thinks you're being childish and selfish for a holiday. But you don't think you're being the same way with his sports?

I think you two need to come to a compromise on the sports and holiday thing. What about having your parents come to your place this year for Thanksgiving? If you really want family time on Thanksgiving with your family, and he wants to go to his game on Saturday, you need to bring the two together.

Besides, Saturday is the game. Thanksgiving is on Thursday. I don't think he's being unreasonable with going up on Wednesday, being there for Thursday and coming back on Friday. Do you seriously need more than three days with your family?

Just because you don't like what he likes, that doesn't make it stupid. That doesn't make him childish or selfish. Either you need to make an effort to appreciate that he has a hobby outside of the family or the marriage will continue to experience these problems.

My husband doesn't understand my fascination with a lot of things, but he makes the effort to show interest in them. I do the same for him. That makes it a fair marriage.

P.S. I have never really met a man that didn't like sports.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    You married him and with that comes every single thing about him that you chose to accept. Now that you two are married and it's becoming an issue, I think you should have thought it through beforehand.

We have to learn to love the ones we're with. That includes being tolerant of one's likes and dislikes. God teaches people to be accepting of others. Marriage isn't a way to get out of doing that.

He thinks you're being childish and selfish for a holiday. But you don't think you're being the same way with his sports?

I think you two need to come to a compromise on the sports and holiday thing. What about having your parents come to your place this year for Thanksgiving? If you really want family time on Thanksgiving with your family, and he wants to go to his game on Saturday, you need to bring the two together.

Besides, Saturday is the game. Thanksgiving is on Thursday. I don't think he's being unreasonable with going up on Wednesday, being there for Thursday and coming back on Friday. Do you seriously need more than three days with your family?

Just because you don't like what he likes, that doesn't make it stupid. That doesn't make him childish or selfish. Either you need to make an effort to appreciate that he has a hobby outside of the family or the marriage will continue to experience these problems.

My husband doesn't understand my fascination with a lot of things, but he makes the effort to show interest in them. I do the same for him. That makes it a fair marriage.

I would have to disagree with you. What if her DH did not start going sports crazy til after they got married? It could happen. My DH started getting video game crazy after we got married. I did not know he would be like that when we got married. I do have the choice to deal with it or not. I do deal with it though...

"He thinks you're being childish and selfish for a holiday. But you don't think you're being the same way with his sports?"
    --I am not sure how she is being selfish. For wanting him to spend time with the family for the holidays and miss a game?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi. I'm a man that doesn't like sports.

I can watch it, I can even kinda talk it. I don't care about it at all.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    Hi. I'm a man that doesn't like sports.

I can watch it, I can even kinda talk it. I don't care about it at all.
    I also know tons of men who do not like sports. My dad, brother, uncle, grandpa, lots of my male friends...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Separate sports from it. Whether you get sports or like sports or anyone else does isn't the issue.

The issue here is that the husband has a hobby that takes up a regular commitment of his time, and he and his wife disagree strongly on how important it is. That's something they just have to work out amongst themselves, hopefully respecting each other's point of view.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't see it any different from being addicted to...

Soap operas?
    News?
    Oprah?
    Reality Shows?

I don't see his request to come home Friday as being unreasonable.

There are worse things to be addicted to besides sports. Is he fanatical throughout the year or just during college football?

Does he blow off his duties around the house? Does he miss work?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think she said her parents were 500 miles away. After traveling that I would hope to stay there for a few days to...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I knew he loved sports, but his obsession has been getting deeper and deeper over the years. He was not like this when I married him.

Umm.. I guess I don't think so... He has gone to every other home game this year and watched every away game on TV and I haven't seen my family since July.

Not an option- my brothers are coming from FL and MI - I'm not going to ask everyone to change their plans so hubby can go to a game.

UM, yeah I do... and it wouldn't be 3 days. it would be an 8 hour drive on Wed, Thanksgiving and an 8 hour drive home on Friday with two small kids. Sorry, but I think that would SUCK.

Well, I guess I just don't agree... I don't think a hobby, any hobby, should come before family. He's gone to every other game. I have hobbies too. I run everyday and do races at least once a month, but I don't scheduly any if we have family stuff going on. I know he didn't schedule the football game, but he could watch it on TV. There is a sports bar near my parents house. That is what he did last year (he didn't have a ticket - it was an away game)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon View Post
    I don't see it any different from being addicted to...

Soap operas?
    News?
    Oprah?
    Reality Shows?

I don't see his request to come home Friday as being unreasonable.

There are worse things to be addicted to besides sports. Is he fanatical throughout the year or just during college football?

Does he blow off his duties around the house? Does he miss work?
    Well, you are right- it's not really worse than any other addiction. I hardly watch TV (don't get a chance, he always has the remote!) But I think if he is putting sports above his family all the time then it is a problem. I'm not asking him to never watch sports again- just miss one game that he can watch on TV instead of going to.

He is most obsessive about football, but also loves college basketball. And yes, he has missed work to watch bowl games and march madness. He never does anything around the house except mow the grass and take out the trash.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by JenMarie View Post
    But I think if he is putting sports above his family all the timeIs it really all the time? then it is a problem. I'm not asking him to never watch sports again- just miss one game that he can watch on TV instead of going to.

He is most obsessive about football, but also loves college basketball. And yes, he has missed work to watch bowl games and march madness. (not good)
    Quote Originally Posted by JenMarie View Post
    He never does anything around the house except mow the grass and take out the trash.
    Any interaction with the kids?

I think he needs to re-evaluate whats important. You obviously are NOT happy and it needs to be addressed by him. Time for a sit down and have a face to face discussion. But BEFORE you do that, you need to have an idea of what you deem resaonable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From the OP, when Hubby *agreed* to miss a game for a vacation, then the team won, Hubby got really not respectful about it.

Now there's two possibilities here as I see it - one, Hubby agreed willingly. Two, hubby felt badgered into agreeing. In the former, such a response to finding out he'd missed a good game isn't justified. In the latter? Well...maybe a little.

Hubby has an option to SEE the game - just not in person - in this case. To see the game in person, he's willing to let his wife drive 8 hours each way with 2 kids. He's getting multiple days at home alone for his game, choosing *not* to spend time with his darling wife mother of his children's family.

That says a boatload to me about where hubby's values are.

Ink says, separate it from football. Make it about any hobby. Ok - would you put model ship building over a RARE trip to see people who are super important to your spouse?

And given that it's 8 hours EACH WAY, and he wants to spend 2 out of the 3 days driving... yeah, I think that is approaching unreasonable - from the wrong side.

If they were an hour away, sure, no biggie. We're talking here about crossing 2 or 3 states, however.

Greebo

Three

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast